Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:13 AM   #1
kaelell
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Timemachine and external storage?

A quick question on time machine backups.


If were to go for the 1TB fusion drive and move my Music & Photos folder to an external drive, can time machine be set up to include the contents of the external drive in when backing up ?


thanks
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
flatfoot
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelell View Post
A quick question on time machine backups.


If were to go for the 1TB fusion drive and move my Music & Photos folder to an external drive, can time machine be set up to include the contents of the external drive in when backing up ?


thanks
It will do so by default. You can also configure what's supposed to be backed up in the Time Machine system preference pane.
__________________
Power Mac G5-i7 i7-870@3.52GHz, 8GB CL8 1600MHz RAM, GeForce 9600GT, 360GB internal SSD, 13TB storage + 12.25TB backup via HighPoint RR2314
MBA 2013 1.3 Ci5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
iPod touch 4G 32GB
flatfoot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
kaelell
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
i found some information on this on apples support pages, apparently by default its set to exclude external drives you need to change this and the second condition is that is must be Mac OS extended formatted.
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelell View Post
i found some information on this on apples support pages, apparently by default its set to exclude external drives you need to change this and the second condition is that is must be Mac OS extended formatted.
Correct. Just to be clear though, you will need to have the music on one external drive and the TM backup on a second external. I think that is your plan, but I was not clear from the wording of your post.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
it shouldnt be a problem, as in the time machine preferences, you select what to exclude. I think external drives are added by default, but can be removed. I'll go plug in my TM drive and another drive to check and report back.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
kaelell
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Correct. Just to be clear though, you will need to have the music on one external drive and the TM backup on a second external. I think that is your plan, but I was not clear from the wording of your post.
thanks, thats correct , that is my intention
kaelell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Yes, they do automatically end up in the Exclude list, but can be removed. Even the separate partition from the drive that Time Machine backs up to can be removed from the list, although that is pointless.

The next question is, would you really want your iTunes library, which is already on an external, backing up to another external? Does it change often enough to include it in Time Machine? I manually back up mine to another drive, and don't slow down Time Machine by making it index all those files.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:43 AM   #8
kaelell
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
Yes, they do automatically end up in the Exclude list, but can be removed. Even the separate partition from the drive that Time Machine backs up to can be removed from the list, although that is pointless.

The next question is, would you really want your iTunes library, which is already on an external, backing up to another external? Does it change often enough to include it in Time Machine? I manually back up mine to another drive, and don't slow down Time Machine by making it index all those files.
you are possibly right about the music, I have it backed up via Itunes Match anyhow. Just dont fancy manually downloading it all in case of an "incident"
But after reading a few more threads on here, I am thinking of forgetting time machine and trying Carbon Copy Cloner.
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:57 AM   #9
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I can't comment on Carbon Copy, but I have used Time Machine for full recoveries. I guess I could also try out Seagate's included software, as I have two of their 3Tb drives. Music and Movies I manage myself, transferring the new stuff to a separate drive, and excluding them from TM. That is partially because I have a MacBook with only a 250Gb drive. When my new iMac shows up in a couple weeks, with a 1.1Tb Fusion drive, things might change a bit or a lot...

Anyway, good luck!
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What external drives for Timemachine back up? Susansmac iMac 2 Apr 10, 2014 03:23 PM
FileVault2 + Encrypted TimeMachine + Encrypt External HD + SuperDuper! gguerini OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 5 Feb 27, 2014 04:22 PM
External USB HDD on Airport Extreme for TimeMachine coltrane58 Mac Peripherals 1 Aug 8, 2013 04:33 PM
iMac with 768 Flash Storage - Which external drive for Lightroom photo storage? pete78 Digital Photography 7 Apr 5, 2013 01:43 AM
TimeMachine/External HD error iEddie iMac 3 Mar 18, 2013 07:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC