Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Vitiri
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Question IMac 27" - Need advise please!

Newbie Alert!

I am thinking of buying my first Mac ever (The new iMac 27"), but i am having a hard time on the specs.

I make music and plan to use Logic Pro 9, aside from that i also use the Adobe Products (Photoshop, Premiere and AE).

My budget is around 2K, wouldn't wanna stretch too much but i can if i have to.

1. Will i5 be ok or should i chose the i7?

2. Fusion drive or regular HDD. Can i later add a SSD (3rd party) to the imac?

3. I heard that I can add the "Apple care" later if i decide to, is that true?

I'd appreciate any advise on this!
Vitiri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
maverick72
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
1- Depends on your software. If they take advantage of the hyperthreading the i7 will offer over the i5. You will hardly see the difference between the two anyway.

2- Fusion drive of course. No you can't add a third party (at least at the moment). Nobody knows for sure but if can it will probably be something from OWC which is a "ram style" ssd and not a 2.5 inch classic ssd format.

3- You have 1 year after the buy to add Apple care. I don't think it changed.
maverick72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
mono1980
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lansing, MI
If you have to compromise on something, the Fusion Drive will make a much bigger difference than the i7 for most tasks.
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick72 View Post
1- Depends on your software. If they take advantage of the hyperthreading the i7 will offer over the i5. You will hardly see the difference between the two anyway.

2- Fusion drive of course. No you can't add a third party (at least at the moment). Nobody knows for sure but if can it will probably be something from OWC which is a "ram style" ssd and not a 2.5 inch classic ssd format.

3- You have 1 year after the buy to add Apple care. I don't think it changed.
Good advise except that you probably can upgrade to a SSD, just wait a couple of days until iFixit opens this iMac, you will see you can swap the HHD to a SSD.
Edit:All SSD> FusionDrive
I firmly believe this one can be opened fairly easy as the older one, the glass front probably will come of easy(magnets)and with it comes the display.

Last edited by justperry; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Vitiri
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick72 View Post
1- Depends on your software. If they take advantage of the hyperthreading the i7 will offer over the i5. You will hardly see the difference between the two anyway.

2- Fusion drive of course. No you can't add a third party (at least at the moment). Nobody knows for sure but if can it will probably be something from OWC which is a "ram style" ssd and not a 2.5 inch classic ssd format.

3- You have 1 year after the buy to add Apple care. I don't think it changed.
Fusion drive, I5, no apple care for a year it is!

Thank you!
Vitiri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:26 AM   #6
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816
 
iMcLovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I expect this iMac to be a lot more complicated to open and close than the previous. If you want ssd you shoul definitely get fusion now when you buy it...ditch the apple care, get that later. And the i7 isn't such a huge price jump, so get that also if u can. But most of all as others say, don't ditch the fusion and hope you can add it yourself later... That too much hassle for a few bucks.
__________________
27" iMac Retina | 13" MacBook Air - 2013 | iPhone 6 | iPad Air 2 ...etc
iMcLovin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Sammie32
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Where are you located? If your local to me I have a 27 for sale
Sammie32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:29 AM   #8
maverick72
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Good advise except that you probably can upgrade to a SSD, just wait a couple of days until iFixit opens this iMac, you will see you can swap the HHD to a SSD.
Edit:All SSD> FusionDrive
I firmly believe this one can be opened fairly easy as the older one, the glass front probably will come of easy(magnets)and with it comes the display.
Of course SSD > FusionDrive but the guy is hesitating between two ~200$ options and the SSD is 1300$ .... not the same ballpark (side note i will be opting for the all ssd myself).

And i also was taking for a fact that a guy putting newbie alert in a post is not gonna be the guy to open up an imac with probably a hair dryer to put a non-standard ssd in it. Maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't look like it.
maverick72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick72 View Post
Of course SSD > FusionDrive but the guy is hesitating between two ~200$ options and the SSD is 1300$ .... not the same ballpark (side note i will be opting for the all ssd myself).

And i also was taking for a fact that a guy putting newbie alert in a post is not gonna be the guy to open up an imac with probably a hair dryer to put a non-standard ssd in it. Maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't look like it.
Yeah, I realized that too late. Fair enough.

But, I don't think it will be glued, we will find out soon though, just a couple of days to go, looking forward to a teardown.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanting advise on new imac iwantanimac99 iMac 3 Aug 12, 2013 06:00 AM
Am I getting consistent graphics performance from 27" iMac? Please advise. GoodtobetheKing iMac 3 Jun 1, 2013 07:48 PM
Please advise me on my first iMac masterofstr3 iMac 5 Nov 22, 2012 11:30 AM
iMac 27" toggle display problem and advise nikolabeg iMac 2 Nov 14, 2012 08:10 AM
Please advise on next iMac purchase plylax iMac 6 Aug 3, 2012 11:12 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC