Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Cell-666
macrumors 6502

iMessage On PC

More and more of my customers are using iMessage from phones and as with most business' I have a mixture of OSX and Win devices, but my main company computer is Win7 due to Quickbooks not being available on Mac in the UK.

Yes I know about Parallels and no I'm not forking out for an iMac at this time.

Surely Apple are missing a trick with a paid program to have iMessage on Windows PC's
Cell-666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell-666 View Post
More and more of my customers are using iMessage from phones and as with most business' I have a mixture of OSX and Win devices, but my main company computer is Win7 due to Quickbooks not being available on Mac in the UK.

Yes I know about Parallels and no I'm not forking out for an iMac at this time.

Surely Apple are missing a trick with a paid program to have iMessage on Windows PC's
And allow MS customers to use their server bandwidth?... I doubt it will happen. What would Apple stand to gain from a Windows compatible version? Not much, and if anything it might deter people from making the switch to a Mac.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a

People use to same the same exact thing about Blackberry Messenger a few years back... I'm with you, I wish it could be done - but I highly doubt it will happen.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Apple should just allow Whatsapp on their ipad and mac...
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
Now that's a good idea.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:10 AM   #6
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
apple should allow it?
think you mean the developers of the app should look at porting it to desktop.
chenks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Cell-666
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
And allow MS customers to use their server bandwidth?... I doubt it will happen. What would Apple stand to gain from a Windows compatible version? Not much, and if anything it might deter people from making the switch to a Mac.
The amount of user who have iphone/iPods/iPads and PC will be far far greater than Mac users. Nothing to do with bandwidth but everything to do with customer satisfaction. iTunes would have anywhere near the amount of users now if it wasn't for Apple releasing the windows version.
Cell-666 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
The amount of user who have iphone/iPods/iPads and PC will be far far greater than Mac users. Nothing to do with bandwidth but everything to do with customer satisfaction. iTunes would have anywhere near the amount of users now if it wasn't for Apple releasing the windows version.
If it's customer satisfaction you're after buy a Mac.
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 PM   #9
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
iTunes would have anywhere near the amount of users now if it wasn't for Apple releasing the windows version.
Very true, but if it wasn't the iPod wouldn't have taken off. They had to do it to break in to a new market. Not the case with iMessage.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816

It's an opportunity for Apple to show PC users how nice their user experience is. Although my experience with iMessage on OS X hasn't been exactly flawless. If I was Apple, I wouldn't release it for Windows but then again I wouldn't have only vertically extended the iPhone 5. So who knows what will happen.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Things that make sense to release cross platform: iTunes, Quicktime, Safari

Things that don't make sense: Final Cut Pro, iLife, OS X itself

Which list does Messages belong on? I kind of have to agree with the posters who say the 2nd list.

But heck, I'm not so sure about Facetime...it's on list #2 but I'm not sure it shouldn't be on #1. So wherever it goes I think Messages should follow. So maybe my own view isn't even consistent.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Things that make sense to release cross platform: iTunes, Quicktime, Safari

Things that don't make sense: Final Cut Pro, iLife, OS X itself

Which list does Messages belong on? I kind of have to agree with the posters who say the 2nd list.

But heck, I'm not so sure about Facetime...it's on list #2 but I'm not sure it shouldn't be on #1. So wherever it goes I think Messages should follow. So maybe my own view isn't even consistent.
No Safari on PC, it's deprecated.

PC never got version 6 and on.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Fry-man22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nothing to do with bandwidth...
Everything has something to do with Bandwidth.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

It has a lot to do with bandwidth. It also has to do with what would happen if suddenly millions more of people had access to it. People would make accounts for their friends without iCloud capable devices, and people would pay someone to set it up for them. Limiting it to OS X helps a lot in that problem. Apple doesn't want to make services for everyone, they want to make services for their customers. The same thing with FaceTime.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:32 AM   #15
Damolee
macrumors 6502

I like Macs, but i'm a gamer. So it counts me out.

I do wish Apple put more effort into Windows related apps. There are times when cross company cooperation for the benefit of consumers should be embraced.
Damolee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:53 AM   #16
simran12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes,I also agree with the above statement.need some changes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That is up to the Whatsapp developers has nothing to do with Apple. If they want to build their own system and bring it across platform they could.

----------

iMessage is no longer allowed for Lion, this is Apple's way of pushing a unified structure across all devices and sales.

iMessage does not sell their phones or Macs, if Apple thought this was the case they would have made it for Windows. It is why iTunes is still available for Windows because they sell iPhones and iPods.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:54 PM   #18
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It has a lot to do with bandwidth. It also has to do with what would happen if suddenly millions more of people had access to it. People would make accounts for their friends without iCloud capable devices, and people would pay someone to set it up for them. Limiting it to OS X helps a lot in that problem. Apple doesn't want to make services for everyone, they want to make services for their customers. The same thing with FaceTime.
Sorry but no. Text messages take very little bandwidth. Sure there's pictures and other media but iMessage by far is the least bandwidth consuming of all Cloud features.

They should make a windows app or even better make it web accessible.
macsrcool1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:12 AM   #19
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

Honestly, your not missing much. I have it on my mac and really don't utilize it much.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Cell-666
macrumors 6502

I am missing it, I have two Macs, three iPads, three iPhones, and a PC for my business and employees. It's been brilliant to keep us all in touch, just a pain not having that little extra ability to still continue conversations on my main PC.

I like the web based idea, in iCloud services online would be excellent.
Cell-666 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:24 AM   #21
Vundu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormSD View Post
Honestly, your not missing much. I have it on my mac and really don't utilize it much.
Does not mean others wouldn't get alot of use out of it.
Vundu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:52 PM   #22
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Just buy the iMac w/Parallels and be done with it. You'll never be able to say you can't do anything again.

As an aside, I use my MBP iMessage all the time. It's freaky to watch my iPhone update near instantaneously as I send and receive texts.

Seriously, I doubt Apple will enable iMessage or FaceTime for PCs within my lifetime.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:38 AM   #23
irnchriz
Banned

I have iMessage configured on my iPhone, iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro and I use it all of the time (the vast majority of my friends and family have iPhones).
irnchriz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:22 AM   #24
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
Just buy the iMac w/Parallels and be done with it. You'll never be able to say you can't do anything again.

As an aside, I use my MBP iMessage all the time. It's freaky to watch my iPhone update near instantaneously as I send and receive texts.

Seriously, I doubt Apple will enable iMessage or FaceTime for PCs within my lifetime.
I don't know, I feel like eventually it will become a part of iCloud that is accessible in the browser. Makes more sense (and is probably easier) than maintaining a separate application.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:59 AM   #25
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormSD View Post
It's situational, but there are times when it really comes in handy, like when I need to message someone and can do it on my laptop, without needing to reach for my phone and stop my workflow.

That reminds me...a few of my colleagues are still in ios4.3...if only I can get them to update their iphones...
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6