Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
luist3k
macrumors newbie

Keeping Steve Ideals Alive...

Is it true that in 2007, previous to the release of the iPhone Steve Jobs gathered its team after seeing the iPhone's screen being scratched and told them "I won't sell a product that gets scratched. I want a glass screen, and I want it perfect in six weeks"?
luist3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by luist3k View Post
Is it true that in 2007, previous to the release of the iPhone Steve Jobs gathered its team after seeing the iPhone's screen being scratched and told them "I won't sell a product that gets scratched. I want a glass screen, and I want it perfect in six weeks"?
You can't verify with where you found that quote? Regardless, Jobs said a lot of things and certainly wasn't above changing his mind within days if not seconds of how he felt previously. Considering he also continued to be active in the company for 4 years following the release of the 2G I doubt that he wasn't aware of the way the phones were being designed.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:45 PM   #3
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816

This was probably one of the cases where Steve made an unreasonable demand and they came through with a good result. I'm sure he made a ton over time that weren't possible to execute, it's just business.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
You can't verify with where you found that quote?

Ia well known folklore, but I don't know the phone# of anybody present to corroborate.

The way I read it was, the phone was not yet released, Jobs had a prototype in his pants, and after having used it several days found that his keys would leave scratches on the phone. With scant time before release, he commanded his troops to FIX THIS OR ELSE.

The current i5 trouble sounds more like rushed production, minimal QA, rather than design to me.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone