Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 14, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1
moogs
macrumors member

AirPlay videos from iPad to Apple TV are too slow

So I have some videos taken with my iPhone and/or iPad (doesn't matter which) that I'm trying to send to my apple tv and it is taking forever for them to load on the atv. However, its instant when streaming videos from my computer using the Air Video app. Why does this suck?
moogs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 12:07 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Your WiFi router is a...?
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3
moogs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Your WiFi router is a...?
Linksys
Old May 14, 2012, 12:08 AM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Linksys what?
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 12:10 AM   #5
moogs
macrumors member

Forgot to add that when I'm streaming videos using Air Video from my computer, I'm also using the air play feature to redirect the video to the Apple TV.

----------

Quote:
Linksys what?
Wrt54g I think
Old May 14, 2012, 12:14 AM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

There's your answer. That's ancient 802.11g WiFi. Try 802.11n for something faster, a simultaneous 5GHz dual band would be nice.

Also try connecting the ATV via wired Ethernet to your router. That should help a little.
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 12:15 AM   #7
moogs
macrumors member

Quote:
There's your answer. That's ancient 802.11g WiFi. Try 802.11n for something faster, a simultaneous 5GHz dual band would be nice.

Also try connecting the ATV via wired Ethernet to your router. That should help a little.
But playing videos using the Air Video app is pretty much instantaneous. That uses the router too.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:19 AM   #8
Chundles
macrumors G4

Much lower bitrate and much smaller files when you use the AirVideo player. I assume you use that app for things like avi files? They're very low (~1.5Mbps) bitrate files.

Video taken on the iPad can be upwards of 10Mbps - easily approaching the real-world bandwidth of an old 802.11g router.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:23 AM   #9
moogs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
Much lower bitrate and much smaller files when you use the AirVideo player. I assume you use that app for things like avi files? They're very low (~1.5Mbps) bitrate files.

Video taken on the iPad can be upwards of 10Mbps - easily approaching the real-world bandwidth of an old 802.11g router.
Theyre the same videos. I just offloaded them to my pc to see if there was any difference. I am using Play with Live Conversion however. Is it converting the video to something with a lower bit rate?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:22 AM   #10
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Don't let those chumps bust your balls. I use a new airport express and have exactly the same problem. I can stream video games in real time, but a video has to buffer for five minutes before it will play.
SPUY767 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:59 AM   #11
brewno
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to brewno Send a message via Skype™ to brewno
Guys it's time to get a router with N450...

You won't regret it.

MacBook Pro 2.9GHz i7, iPad Mini 64Gb, iPhone 5S 64Gb, iPod 60Gb, iPod Hi-Fi, Apple TV 40Gb
brewno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:54 AM   #12
powaking
macrumors 6502

If your ATV is also on wifi then you may be sending the video from the ipad to the router then from the router to the ATV. Correct me if I'm wrong but if thats the case you may be saturating your wireless bandwidth. Wireless if convenience, not performance. Time for a new router.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:39 PM   #13
citivolus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogs View Post
Theyre the same videos. I just offloaded them to my pc to see if there was any difference. I am using Play with Live Conversion however. Is it converting the video to something with a lower bit rate?
yes, check the settings under the Global Settings button and see what bitrates you have enabled under Local WiFi.
citivolus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:56 PM   #14
meteoroidz
macrumors newbie

I just tried to airplay from my iPhone to ATV and it also took forever to load. Linksys WRT120N is what I think the router is that I own. I believe it's old? What would be the best router to get for an upgrade?
meteoroidz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:05 PM   #15
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Airport Extreme Base Station

It's a little pricy, but really easy to set up and quite good. You can get a refurbished one for a bit of a discount, as it hasn't seen many major updates in years. It also has wireless N, simultaneous dual band, 5GHz band, lots of settings, USB port, etc. It's pretty awesome.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:25 PM   #16
meteoroidz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post

It's a little pricy, but really easy to set up and quite good. You can get a refurbished one for a bit of a discount, as it hasn't seen many major updates in years. It also has wireless N, simultaneous dual band, 5GHz band, lots of settings, USB port, etc. It's pretty awesome.
How would you say the Airport Express Base Station is compared to the Extreme?
meteoroidz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:53 PM   #17
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post

I bought one last week when bestbuy had the refund gen 5 for $89. it came yesterday but I haven't set it up yet. I hope I am as happy with it as you seem to be.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:25 AM   #18
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoroidz View Post
How would you say the Airport Express Base Station is compared to the Extreme?
I wouldn't know. I haven't used the Express before. However, the new Express does have many similar features. I don't think the Express supports the use of an external hard drive in the USB port, so that's the only disadvantage I see. If you don't care much about that, then I think the Express would suffice.

Although, I think the AirPort Extreme has a bit further range. Don't quote me on that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
I bought one last week when bestbuy had the refund gen 5 for $89. it came yesterday but I haven't set it up yet. I hope I am as happy with it as you seem to be.
$89?! What a deal! Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you are as satisfied as me as well!

I haven't had much problems with my old routers, but the wireless g connection does make the AirPlay choppy, and AirPlay is one of the most under advertised and best feature Apple has. Siri doesn't even compare.

The higher end routers are worth it if AirPlay is a feature you want to abuse.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad