Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:15 PM   #1
ghsNick
macrumors 68000

Deleted Movie from my iMac and iCloud...Help.

I accidentally deleted a movie I bought for $20 off my iMac and iCloud.

Now when I go to look through my Purchased Movies in iTunes to re-download it it isn't there.

Is there a way to get it back without paying for it again?

Please help me.

Last edited by ghsNick; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
ghsNick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
ghsNick
macrumors 68000

I was able to get the movie back into my iTunes because it was in the Trash...I restored it. But how do I get it back under Purchases/iCloud?

Can anyone help me?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
just out of curiosity, is the movie still available in the store? I have heard of when its out of the store for whatever reason, you cannot redownload it. So make sure and make a back-up.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4
ghsNick
macrumors 68000

I've got to find this thing!

Last edited by ghsNick; Aug 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
peeaanuut
Banned

i believe if you go to purchases in the itunes store and redownload it, it should be there. However since you chose yes to the cloud delete, I am not certain if this will work.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
ghsNick
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
i believe if you go to purchases in the itunes store and redownload it, it should be there. However since you chose yes to the cloud delete, I am not certain if this will work.
thats my problem...it is no longer in Purchases to re-download. It's on my iMac but not in Purchases. So now if I want to stream/download it from my other iDevices I can't. Do you think there's a way to put it back into my Purchases/iCloud or should I call Apple?

If I call can they fix it?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7
AppleMooseMan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
It is in the store. It's Tron: Legacy.

I was able to restore it but NOW when you go to delete a movie with the new iTunes it ask if you want to delete it from your computer, then it ask if you want to delete it from iCloud.

I stupidly hit Yes to both...but after I went to Purchases to see if it was still there it wasn't. I found the file in my Trash can and restored it. But it won't let me downloaded from purchases since it's not showing up anymore. If I go to the movie in iTunes it ask me if I want to Buy it when selecting.

I guess I'm wondering how to restore the copy of my movie into iCloud so I can download/stream to my iPhone/iPad.
Don't worry dude; just email Apple support.
This happened to me a while ago, they just restored the movie to my account.
AppleMooseMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Taylor-C
macrumors 6502

Go to your account, and click on hidden purchases - it should be in there!
Taylor-C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:33 PM   #9
peeaanuut
Banned

nice to hear they can do that. I dont use the cloud at all and just download and backup as I have heard too many issues with the cloud. Glad they got that 1 issue of thousands remaining taken care of.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:35 PM   #10
aronnyc
macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me

I don't really understand why Apple even allows people to delete their purchases from their iCloud. Who would want to do that? It's just asking for trouble. I was trying to delete movies off my computer to free up some space when I accidentally deleted it off iCloud too.
aronnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:24 PM   #11
MagnetikMan
macrumors newbie

As a poster has already stated, if you go to your account on itunes then go into hidden purchases you will find the film your looking for.

It hasnt been deleted from your account just hidden, click unhide and you will see it in your purchased films list again, i made the same mistake as you and thought id have to buy the film again.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:26 PM   #12
fearcake
macrumors newbie

i wish this were true...ever time i click unhide it still is hidden. I go back into my account and shows it still as hidden. I've clicked the button just under a billion times. Never works. I get tired of emailing Apple support for their cloud service issues.
fearcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #13
shalliday
macrumors member

I have had more than one purchase mysteriously "go missing" from my iTunes store account. When I first contacted Apple via email, they informed me that they are not responsible to ensure the accuracy of my store purchases and that it was my responsibility to ensure I have a backup of my purchases. Listed below are my most recent emails to Apple support:

Quote:
I purchased the movie Arbitrage from the iTunes store and had it downloaded to my computer. With the recent iTunes 11 upgrade many of my purchased movies would not play within iTunes, including the movie Arbitrage, giving me an error that iTunes could not play Quicktime movie.

An internet search found the following thread which outlined the exact same problem I was having and stated that I needed to delete affected movies from iTunes and then add back to iTunes. This appears to be working however when I deleted Arbitrage from my iTunes, it disappeared, folder and all, so I was not able to add it back in. I then went to the iTunes store to redownload my purchase but it was not showing under my list of purchased movies.

1) Please restore Arbitrage which I pave already purchased to my iTunes store account so I can download it to my computer.

2) Please provide me with an explanation as to why and how this occurred.

3) How many of my other purchases have also mysteriously disappeared from my account?

Over the years I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of content from the iTunes store. It has virtually become my source for acquiring movies, music, television shows, etc, This incident is really forcing me to question the integrity of making any further purchases from iTunes. I look forward to your explanation and timely resolution to this issue.
Quote:
I downloaded Arbitrage at the time of purchase. I did not delete the file from my harddrive. iTunes did and I expect this issue to be resolved
quickly.

Attached it my receipt for "Arbitrage". The "Art of Flight" is also missing
from my iTunes account purchases. It was also downloaded but also missing from my harddrive but it appears iTunes 11 also deleted this as well. I have all of my purchase receipts from the iTunes store and there are
thousands of them. Please advise why purchased items are mysteriously
missing from my iTunes. I sure hope this is something you can provide an
adequate explanation and resolution for because I do hope it will not be
necessary for me to go through each and every receipt that I have to ensure Apple (iTunes) is not ripping me off by randomly deleting my purchases.
Quote:
Thank you for your explanation but it falls far short of adequate. I
would like an explanation as to why iTunes 11 automatically deleted
"Arbitrage" and "The Art of Flight" from my hardrive. This is
absolutely unacceptable especially considering that "my purchases" are
also randomly being removed from my iTunes store account. It certainly
appears that iTunes 11 is automatically deleting files from my
harddrive, without my knowledge or approval and the purchase also
disappears from iCloud and my itunes store account. This is what
exactly what happened with Arbitrage" and "The Art of Flight".

Now let me be clear:

It is one thing for iTunes 11 to remove the purchase file from my
harddrive but when the file also disappears from iCloud and the
purchase is also removed from my store account, AT THE SAME TIME, this
certainly appears to be more than a coincidence!

As I stated in my follow-up email my "The Art of Flight" purchase is
also missing from my account purchases.

I have a 2011 MacMini i7 quad core purchased and used as my iTunes
media server. My iTunes database is approx 8+ terabytes stored on a
Synology NAS running raid 5 and power backup through a high end UPS.
This provides adequate protection from power and hard drive failure.
What it does not protect me from is Apple software randomly deleting
media files from my NAS and as well as removing my purchase from my
iTunes store account, all at the same time. Who would have thought
that i would need to protect my purchased content from Apple software
randomly deleting purchased media files from my hard drive. This is
absolutely unacceptable! It is a huge violation of the trust that I
have in Apple and it's iTunes software.

From your email and the inadequate explanation as to how or why this
happened, I am left to assume that of the many many purchases I have
made over the years, adding up to thousands and thousands of dollars,
may indeed be missing from my hard drive, courtesy of Apple and the
only recourse that i have is to go through, one by one each of the
thousands of purchase receipt emails that I have to verify that each
and every purchase I made through the iTunes store has not been
deleted/removed from my iTunes library. This will involve quite alot
of work as well as the purchase of an additional NAS drive to backup
and protect my purchased media from Apple's software automated and
unauthorized random deletion process, regardless of that being a
software bug or intended deletion process by Apple. So, ... am I
correct that from your end, Apple has no way of confirming/verifying
the accuracy/integrity of my online purchases? And I am left with
having to go through each and every receipt, from every online
purchase, over the years to determine what other media purchases have
been removed from my hard drive and from my online account? Is this
correct?

Your email stated that my "Arbitrage" purchase has been restored to my
account but what about my "The Art of Flight" purchase which is also
missing. Has that been restored as well?

I will wait for your reply before I begin the painstaking process of
crawling through each and every iTunes purchase receipt that I have
received over the years and hopefully your reply will inform me that
it will not be necessary.
The Apple support email response that I did receive did not address how or why they were deleted from my harddrive but instead was a boiler plate email response instructing me how to redownload from my store account purchases. Both "Arbitrage" and "Art of Flight" were added back to my store account purchases, which I have since redownloaded, I have yet to receive a satisfactory explanation as to how or why they were deleted from my harddrive in the first place.

I have now started the process of reviewing iTunes (database and folders) alphabetically in search other missing media and then cross reference with all of my purchased receipts. So far managed to identify three more "missing" movie files. Once completed I will be sending Apple support the list, complete with receipts and requesting they add them back to my store account purchases.

Meanwhile I have ordered a 2nd Synology NAS to serve as a backup unit for my iTunes NAS. Considering the time, effort and cost of building my home media center; (1) 2011 MacMini, (3) ATV's (4) Cisco SG300 Smart Media Switches (4) CyberPower 1500 UPS's and (2) Synology DS1511 NAS units, if I had my time back I would just simply rent or go to the movies

As for iTunes, it seems I am too far in to get out. Over the years I have spent a small fortune in purchasing encoded music and movies from the Apple store so it seems I am stuck with iTunes since there is no other viable alternative Apple purchased media. This I wouldn't mind so much if iTunes was more feature rich, less restrictive and less of a performance pig. As a software developer for more than 20 years, I am both perplexed and annoyed with iTunes inability to provide adequate sort and search capabilities, basic database management tools or seamless NAS integration. This is particularly frustrating for those of us with huge media libraries where the larger your library, the worse it gets.

Guess I am getting way off-topic. In answer to johndoejohndoes original question:

Go to the iTunes store and under support send Apple a support ticket requesting they restore your Apple purchase to your Apple account. That is what I did and it worked.

Last edited by shalliday; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
shalliday is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store