Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:26 PM   #76
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
You got the larger screen in the 5.

As for the unicorn phone with the all the bands....that's been rumored for years.
Wasn't there just one 4S? I thought if you bought the 4S unlocked you could use it on Verizon or AT&T in the U.S. Of course, the 4S only supported CDMA/EVDO and GSM/HSPA+, but I could've sworn there was just a single 4S and it worked across all the CDMA/GSM bands worldwide.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:31 PM   #77
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Lots are asking the same thing. How an antenae can jack the cost up so much with a smaller device, smaller screen, etc. Obviously it's profit margins for Apple.
Even off contract Android phones too. I looked into an off contract note II, and it's price was $649. Around the same price as a Note 10.1 for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizdun View Post
You don't know?

Apple's iPhone twice as profitable per unit as iPad

iPhones make 49-58% profit.
iPads make 23-32% profit.

While you might be paying $199 upfront for a contract iPhone, the carrier is paying the rest ($650 – $199 = $451) to Apple. In other words, you're indirectly paying Apple the remaining ~$451 over the course of the duration of your contract.

With an unlocked iPhone, Apple is looking to make the same amount of profit, thus charging the entire $650.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Contracts, at end of the day, especially in the USA, are absurdly expensive. Why the hell would I want to blow $100+ per month on a cell phone connection? Americans don't know any better. Mobile networks are MUCH cheaper outside of the USA.
I understand how contracts, and subsidies work, but even off contract Android phones are priced higher than Android tablets. Save for the Nexus.4.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:33 PM   #78
Tech198
macrumors 601

the way i think of it ,, you are paying extra $$ for being under contact just to get the phone cheaply in the first place.

I'd rather pay full pice anyway up front, and have a choice.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:35 PM   #79
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Wasn't there just one 4S? I thought if you bought the 4S unlocked you could use it on Verizon or AT&T in the U.S. Of course, the 4S only supported CDMA/EVDO and GSM/HSPA+, but I could've sworn there was just a single 4S and it worked across all the CDMA/GSM bands worldwide.
No, just AT&T. Verizon wouldn't take unlocked GSM phones even if it had a CDMA chip. You are correct that it would work, but that's up to the carrier to decide. Verizon decided no.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:44 PM   #80
terraphantm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
Unlocked from the factory is strictly a GSM model (AT&T, T-Mobile in the US). You can't get an unlocked CDMA phone for use on either Sprint or Verizon, but the Verizon model is factory unlocked for use on GSM networks only.
Things are different with LTE. Verizon will let you use any unlocked LTE phone as long as it supports the right bands. LTE is SIM based just like GSM technologies.

I don't know which model Apple is selling as unlocked. But theoretically if they had an iPhone 5 that supported every band, then you can buy an unlocked one from anywhere and use it.

But since Verizon is selling them all unlocked, it's not a big deal either way. The Verizon model supports international LTE bands so IMO that's the best one to own.
terraphantm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:45 PM   #81
UmbraDiaboli
macrumors regular

Amurikanz, you will finally experience what we've had in the UK since the beginning I'm happy for you!
UmbraDiaboli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:45 PM   #82
robopath
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
Great, now you have an unlocked phone under contract. What good is that?
Well its better then a locked phone under contract. This method is mainly for people that want to travel internationally with a contracted AT&t phone. It does not get you a contract free phone as you are aware. In the US our phones are locked, under contract and even after the contract is completed.
robopath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:45 PM   #83
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

I'm confused. My wife walked into an Apple store and bought a phone outright back in October to give to a friend in China. How is this technically different?
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:45 PM   #84
Rot'nApple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMaccer View Post
probly not a math major
Probably not an English major either...
/
/
/
Rot'nApple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:01 PM   #85
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Screw the iPhone where is the unlocked iMac!
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:01 PM   #86
xlost6
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
I'm confused. My wife walked into an Apple store and bought a phone outright back in October to give to a friend in China. How is this technically different?
There is no difference. She has the same version that Apple is getting ready to sell in the Apple Store right now.
xlost6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:04 PM   #87
Otterblue
macrumors member

Already have it in Canada
Otterblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:12 PM   #88
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizdun View Post
You don't know?

Apple's iPhone twice as profitable per unit as iPad

iPhones make 49-58% profit.
iPads make 23-32% profit.

While you might be paying $199 upfront for a contract iPhone, the carrier is paying the rest ($650 – $199 = $451) to Apple. In other words, you're indirectly paying Apple the remaining ~$451 over the course of the duration of your contract.

With an unlocked iPhone, Apple is looking to make the same amount of profit, thus charging the entire $650.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Contracts, at end of the day, especially in the USA, are absurdly expensive. Why the hell would I want to blow $100+ per month on a cell phone connection? Americans don't know any better. Mobile networks are MUCH cheaper outside of the USA.
seems like you haven't been to the Czech Republic yet.

A mobile plan here is more expensive than an equivalent plan in the US, and a subsidised iPhone cost nearly as much as an unlocked iPhone in the US. And on the top of all that, the average salary in the CZ (approx. $1100 a month) is nowhere close to the American average (roughly $3900 a month). So quit moaning, and be thankful for living where you live.
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:12 PM   #89
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlost6 View Post
There is no difference. She has the same version that Apple is getting ready to sell in the Apple Store right now.
So the only news is it's available online through Apple? Good. Got it. I thought there was a variance of some kind for a second there... Thanks.
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:14 PM   #90
chuckd83
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
Let's do some math - total cost of ownership in two years

Straight talk: $650 + 24 x $45 = $1,730
AT&T: $199 + $36(activation)2 + 24 x ($40 voice + $20 text + $30 data) x 10% (TAX) = $2,611

So yes, you save $881 for a better plan
yikes...$90/mo for a phone plan.
chuckd83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:27 PM   #91
ls1dreams
macrumors 6502

Hmm,

I just bought a "device-only" AT&T GSM model yesterday.

Will that already be unlocked, or should I return it for one of these newer models?
ls1dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:28 PM   #92
htpw16
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
So the only news is it's available online through Apple? Good. Got it. I thought there was a variance of some kind for a second there... Thanks.
It's been well documented that many Apple stores would not simply sell you an unlocked off contract iPhone outright.
htpw16 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:29 PM   #93
nlarson
macrumors newbie

Difference between Apple Unlocked and Verizon Unlocked

Hello. Thanks for the comments. As far as hardware, I know the unlocked Verizon phone does not support voice and data at the same time. Is this a hardware limitation on that particular unlocked phone or a Verizon service issue? And I assume the unlocked phone that is factory direct DOES support voice and data at the same time. Thanks.
nlarson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:30 PM   #94
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpw16 View Post
It's been well documented that many Apple stores would not simply sell you an unlocked off contract iPhone outright.
And that's what I was telling my wife right after it came out. Then she comes home with one and I'm like, well, wtf do I know?
chirpie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:32 PM   #95
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
What kinds of effects will this have on the market for unlocked iPhone 4S?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:32 PM   #96
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
Let's do some math - total cost of ownership in two years

Straight talk: $650 + 24 x $45 = $1,730
AT&T: $199 + $36(activation)2 + 24 x ($40 voice + $20 text + $30 data) x 10% (TAX) = $2,611

So yes, you save $881 for a better plan
Yup

not an insignificant amt of savings and this is exactly what I do
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:33 PM   #97
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Apple to Begin Ripping You Off as Soon As Later Today.
How would you know their actual cost of goods, administrative fees and their entire cost structure?

Please list everything you know and then we'll examine your totally unfounded statement.

While you are at figuring out that you don't know any specifics, please specify
what "ripping off" entails.

BTW: Whenever any manufacturer offers a product (whatever that is) and you cannot afford it or do not want to pay what they want to sell it for think before you post about "ripping off"
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:37 PM   #98
usarioclave
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post
When you buy the sim you can choose between AT&T or T-Mobile. If you get the free phone deal to get the sim for free then it's a gamble depending on your zip code and the phone model.
Straight talk uses the AT&T network.

I got the AT&T sim and I'm using it with my old unlocked AT&T iPhone 4. I think the T-Mobile StraightTalk sim would have been better because a "foreign" SIM might make the APN settings show in the phone's network prefs by default. I'm not sure about that, but the APN info definitely isn't visible with the AT&T StraightTalk SIM.
usarioclave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:39 PM   #99
TimeArrow
macrumors member

Coincide with the timing of the news from China Minstry of Industry and Information that iPhone 5's wireless specification is approved and its ready to sell.

No more need to withdraw the unlocked phones in the U.S.!
TimeArrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:41 PM   #100
htpw16
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlarson View Post
Hello. Thanks for the comments. As far as hardware, I know the unlocked Verizon phone does not support voice and data at the same time. Is this a hardware limitation on that particular unlocked phone or a Verizon service issue? And I assume the unlocked phone that is factory direct DOES support voice and data at the same time. Thanks.
This limitation is carrier based in a sense that it depends on the technology used by the carrier. The official unlocked iPhone will still not be able to do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon since it would require a third antenna.

From macrumors a while ago:

Quote:
An Apple spokeswoman told The Times, "It is not yet possible to do simultaneous voice and data on networks that use CDMA for voice and LTE for data in a single radio design."
htpw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion