Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itunesdowngrade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hey,

I just wanted to try the new iTunes 11 but really don't like it.

So I first installed it, then moved it to the trash and re-installed iTunes 10.7 I just downloaded from Apple's servers (yes, you can download it).

I then copied the old iTunes folder (I backupped it before upgrading to iTunes 11) located at /Users/NAME/Music/iTunes.

Then I started it, but iTunes now shows an Error every time I start iTunes (10.7): "An unknown error occured -42408".

I searched the internet and found a lot of threads and tried everything what could fix the problem, but nothing helped.

I even can't sync the iPad with 10.7 anymore, it shows an error something like: "You have to restore the iPad". With iTunes 11 all works, and before installing iTunes 11 everything worked with iTunes 10.7 aswell.

I can't autohorize / deauthorize the computer with iTunes 10.7 (I read something about this on the internet, that the error code is related to this).
Then I get the following error: "Your request at the iTunes store can not be completeted. Error 42408" (sorry, had to translate this from German).

Can you please help or try it yourself? :(

Thank you so much!

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
I guess CONVERTING the library after installing iTunes 11 kind of prevents you from going back.. Sort of huh

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
How can you say you dont like it after using if for such a short amount of time?

:confused:

Because it only took 5 minutes to realize that iTunes 11 has a major bug that has stopped it from updating playcounts and last played info. This completely breaks any and all smart playlists that depend on that info being correct and updated to function properly. When it hoses all your playlists that you use to play all your music it is pretty obvious you need to revert.

How can you tell you don't like being smacked upside the head when it's only been happening for so short a time? :)

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Because it only took 5 minutes to realize that iTunes 11 has a major bug that has stopped it from updating playcounts and last played info. This completely breaks any and all smart playlists that depend on that info being correct and updated to function properly. When it hoses all your playlists that you use to play all your music it is pretty obvious you need to revert.

How can you tell you don't like being smacked upside the head when it's only been happening for so short a time? :)

i think its quite obvious you aint gonna like getting smacked upside the head tbh.

and i havent noticed any problem. is this just Windows or something?

Runs fine for me atleast on ML

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
You can make iTunes 11 go pretty much back the same look as iTunes 10 by clicking View>Show Sidebar and View>Show Status Bar. Then go to iTunes>Preferences and uncheck the 'Use large text for list views'.

It basically looks like an updated version of iTunes 10.

There isn't really a way to downgrade iTunes without breaking stuff, so your better sticking with iTunes 11 and just making it work like before (just with all the cool new features slotted into the old look).

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I don't get that. What do you mean?

When you opened iTunes 11 it said something like 'converting library' or 'updating library' at this point was the point of no return, restore a previous backup or just live with it for a bit...

Though I haven't encountered any bugs (that I've noticed) yet?

itunesdowngrade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
So.. finally I got iTunes 10.7 working.

What I did first:

I tried everything! Really everything. Like restoring everything that could be related to iTunes via Time Machine (all the folders in Library, all the preferences, all iTunes libraries, ByHost settings, Shared User data, reinstalled it, deleted everything and clean installed it). Nothing did actually help to get back to iTunes 10.7. I always got the error mentioned in the first post.
And trust me, I'm an engineer.

What I did now:

I completely restored my system. Thanks to Time Machine, an SSD and a super fast Thunderbolt external drive with Time Machine backups on it I was able to get back to the old system with iTunes 10.7 in a record time of just 5-8 minutes.

I'm happy now. iTunes 11 really sucked out every hair of my balls.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Arrrrggggghhh the same thing has happened to me.

I HATE ITUNES 11.

It looks so ugly, I can't view my album artwork in list view, I can't move the column browser to the left. WTF Apple?

I have so much audio software on my machine I'm scared to restore from backup in case it doesn't work.

There must be another fix for this...

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Yes and it tells me iTunes cannot read the contents of my iPhone and I should restore it to factory settings

----------

I just want iTunes 10 back :(

Capitanspam

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Ok, just downgraded from 11 to 10.7.

1 - backup your library (normally in c:/my documents/my music/itunes) and all the content (artwork and so) get the last itunes library on the "Previous Itunes Libraries" folder and change it to the main "iTunes Library.itl"
2 - uninstall itunes 11
3 - go to http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php and download the 10.7 version (please, note that the library are compatible with higher versions. a 10.7 library will not work on a 10.6 itunes version.)
4 - install 10.7 version and change the content of the itunes library with your backup if necessary.

enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.