Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:50 AM   #1
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

iTunes media downloads

I can't download any media from the iTunes Store on my MacBook Air because it's full. So I was wondering if I can set iTunes to automatically save the downloads on my hard drive? For example, if I downloaded a whole or even an episode from a season, iTunes automatically starts the download and the files are saved on my MacBook and I have no space anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:57 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyX View Post
I can't download any media from the iTunes Store on my MacBook Air because it's full. So I was wondering if I can set iTunes to automatically save the downloads on my hard drive? For example, if I downloaded a whole or even an episode from a season, iTunes automatically starts the download and the files are saved on my MacBook and I have no space anymore.
You shouldn't let your boot drive fill up, as it can impede performance. You should free up some space on your boot drive, not just for downloads, but for proper operation of your Mac.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Your post in the other thread is very helpful but what about my question. Can I enable iTunes to download contents purchased from the iTunes Store on my external hard drive?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
No

No, but you can point your music folder toward that drive.

But if it's iCloud, watching and then deleting it from you computer would work.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:38 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyX View Post
Your post in the other thread is very helpful but what about my question. Can I enable iTunes to download contents purchased from the iTunes Store on my external hard drive?
You can change the location of your iTunes Media folder in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced. That will only apply to downloaded music, however. AFAIK, there is no way to change the download location for all iTunes store downloads, which would include apps, podcasts, books, etc. They download to different locations, based on the type of media.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Ok, thank you both. My music is already on my external hard drive

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store