Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

View Poll Results: Do you like iTunes 11?
I Love It 281 68.37%
I Hate It! > 88 21.41%
I havent upgraded yet 41 9.98%
My computer doesn't support iTunes 11 1 0.24%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:17 PM   #51
quaffa
macrumors newbie

I hate it.

The one feature that I used all the time was the shuffle feature, which enabled one to shuffle a playlist into random play. With iTunes 11 that is just no longer possible!

Sure, one can play playlists in iTunes itself in shuffle mode, but it no longer actually shuffles the actual playlist. (The song listing remains in numerical order in the grid rather than being mixed up as before.)

The upshot of this, and it is serious for me, is that I can no longer sync a shuffled playlist onto my iPod; they all remain in numerical order when they arrive on the iPod. I used to do this a lot before.

Having shuffled and unshuffled lists on the iPod meant that it wasn't necessary to keep delving into the iPod menu to shuffle and unshuffle. It worked a treat... and now it's gone.
quaffa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:31 PM   #52
joshsand66
macrumors newbie

new iTunes and ipad sync

The new itunes interface is really nice. It has little hidden features that are well thought out.
In syncing ipad the player allows you to click between sync and current song being played.
Had one problem- Syncing my ipad 1 because I had added 200 new photos to an iPhoto Event - all went well till step 7. And it would not sync the new photos - just hung - ipad was set to Auto update all events/photos etc.
Eventually got it to update by doing a manual sync of all ticked events and all albums. It really had to think long and hard at photo 1 of 200 but eventually it did it. Phew! I wondered if it because my ipad i can only run iOS ver 5.1.1 as the latest ver.
joshsand66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:38 PM   #53
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

Very nice, so bloody fast it's incredible!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:21 PM   #54
Pultost
macrumors newbie

some issues

I have used it now for a day and mostly like it, it will always take some time to get familiar with a major uppgrade.
I have some issues that i wonder if any could help me with.
Bee patient with my english, i am Norwegian..

1. I like to open some of my playlists or iTunes store in seperate windows, but i can not find a way to do that, is that gone or is it me that just dont find it.

2. When i go from artist view to another view, say a playlist and then back again to the artist view i am not comming back to where i was. I come back to the top and must then find where i was again every time i switch. That workt well in. 10.7. Is there any way to fix that. (I have a huge liberary so it is anoying)

3. I use a lot of albumartists, so when i go to artists many of my albums are missing there, so for me that is useless. I find a way to fix it. I made a smart playlist with all my music. So there i can see everything, display artwork too
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:08 PM   #55
Porco
macrumors 68000

For me, the poll needed a 'hmm… mixed bag' in-between option…

It would be fine if they hadn't removed a couple of features I use all the time.

It all feels like a bit of a pointless new lick of paint really. Which in some ways I'm happy about, because I was scared they'd remove much more functionality than they have when we first saw it previewed. I just don't know why they have to remove stuff that works perfectly well and doesn't really get in the way for people who don't use it.

Staying with iTunes 10.7 for now.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:24 PM   #56
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Only thing I don't like about is that I prefer the classic view that the 'Songs' section has, but you can't display album artwork that way.

Yes loved the cover artwork flow you could set it to. Might take some time to get used to not seeing it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:54 PM   #57
muffysimba
macrumors newbie

How do you stop a song from playing?
muffysimba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:59 PM   #58
skitzogreg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffysimba View Post
Hit the play button again (pause is hidden).
iPhone 5 64GB
skitzogreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:01 PM   #59
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Beach ball in first 10 minutes but I like some of the changes. I prefer iTunes 5.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:02 PM   #60
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

I like it. It seems a lot faster on my machine than iTunes 10.

The interface is a big change though, and that will take some getting used to.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:25 PM   #61
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffysimba View Post
Hit the space bar or use the play/pause button on your F8 key.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 PM   #62
odinsride
macrumors 65816

Cover Flow is gone, as well as the ability to group by album/view album artwork in song list view on the left side.

WTF Apple?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:52 PM   #63
coocooforcocoap
macrumors regular

Can't vote yet, not sure one way or another...

I upgraded one machine, which looked the same in v10, but now in v11 I don't see the "Library" click, which is the view I use the most. Anyone know how to get that back?

See attachments for illustrations!

NEVERMIND: found it, it was moved...
Attached Images

Last edited by coocooforcocoap; Dec 1, 2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: NEVERMIND: found it, it was moved...
coocooforcocoap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:19 PM   #64
Chantelle
macrumors newbie

It's beautiful

I love it, thumbs up for sure.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:57 AM   #65
31rhcp
macrumors member

I absolutely despise the new search. It's one of Apple's attempts at catering to the masses by making something pretty but actually adding a step or two and making the process less efficient. Does anyone know if there's a way to restore the old search functionality?

Apart from that, I'm pleased. I like that the sidebar has colours again and I absolutely love Up Next, which was the one feature that I was really looking forward to. It's also nice to have a new UI for no other reason than to have a new UI every now and again.
31rhcp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:13 AM   #66
coocooforcocoap
macrumors regular

Love it: But wish they had fixed the bugs...

This is still broken: podcasts not picking up cover art, even though in the iTunes store, it's there in the description:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 12.46.18 PM.png
Views:	18
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	380852  
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:16 AM   #67
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31rhcp View Post
I absolutely despise the new search. It's one of Apple's attempts at catering to the masses by making something pretty but actually adding a step or two and making the process less efficient. Does anyone know if there's a way to restore the old search functionality?
Pressing 'Enter' after you've entered your search query or unchecking the 'Search Entire Library' option should get you what you're looking for.

Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:28 AM   #68
bogoss
macrumors newbie

actually the whole point of iTunes 11 is prettier but dumber for me, what a transformation lol

I updated and thought I could live with it, but:

1. the font change hurt me, who approved that?
2. the search hurt me, i don't need ***** popping out to interrupt my search process, the live search results from earlier version was good enough, I could always get 100% what I was looking for efficiently
3. no cover flow nor artwork display from the left bottom corner hurt me
4. the fact that Apple wants to sell the album grid view hurts me, I never listen to one entire album over and over, and it cannot shuffle a playlist, so except comforting myself about the artwork I collected, I wouldn't use this in a longterm, I prefer songs... but in Songs view, apple almost disabled the artwork display.
5. the fact that Apple thinks it's better without sidebar hurt me, but when adding songs to playlist, it's coming back, and so on, which slower the whole thing and adding more steps.

So yeah, had to go back to my dear iTunes old style that was approved by Steve Jobs possibly, more possibly than 11, and enjoy the music+artwork experience that's been there for years, for a reason

Last edited by bogoss; Dec 1, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
bogoss is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:21 AM   #69
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

I love it

I only wish you could group artist albums together in album view

-----------------------
artist
[album][album][album
-----------------------
artist
[album][album]
-----------------------

and so on…
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:03 AM   #70
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaffa View Post
I hate it.

The one feature that I used all the time was the shuffle feature, which enabled one to shuffle a playlist into random play. With iTunes 11 that is just no longer possible!
This is one of my bigger complaints.

Everyone is saying its much faster, but I'm having the opposite affect. My guess is because my iTunes library is stored on a NAS but it is connected by FireWire 800. I don't believe it should be this slow and definitely not slower than before. I'm getting several beach balls or just general slowness when switching between music and movies and loading cover art.

Overall, I'm not exactly impressed with it. I do like the new design. Also the iTunes DJ being removed is kind of a low blow. I was actually planning on using that at my class reunion next year as I volunteered to be the DJ. I'm not quite sure how "up next" will compare but I'll play around with it. But from reading it appears the functionality I wanted is gone.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:37 AM   #71
msh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxiah View Post
B) Dropped Features that should be reinstated:
i) iTunes DJ
ii) The little 'circle-with arrow' icon next to the playing track's progress bar. This was great for taking you instantly back to the playing track - no matter where you are in iTunes...
Playlist to Disc'
iii) Gapless playback.
msh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:49 AM   #72
paulsalter
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
it's growing on me a little bit

if I just want to play an album it's fine

biggest issue is the missing iTunes DJ, this has made most of my smart playlists now pointless
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:05 AM   #73
iHacker0390
macrumors member

I use iTunes Match and now I cant set the iCloud status as a view option, meaning I cant see the tracks that have been uploaded vs matched, it just show everything as matched. Very annoying to me, also I can't still cant multiple select tracks with the mouse? ugh. Especially since that the track listing is now split in half and not one list.

This is a Fail for me.
iHacker0390 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:46 AM   #74
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Some one earlier mentioned this, but I can't find it so I'll say it again. TV show seasons display the same "album" cover for every season. Wtf again? After I spent all that time importing and organizing my TV shows by season with different art work for each season and now iTunes 11 doesn't even show it. Makes me feel retarded.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:44 PM   #75
djshack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
iii) Gapless playback.
Is gapless playback really missing??
djshack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store