Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:46 PM   #26
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

I never thought I'd be this impressed with an update to a music player. I especially like the interface changes. Less skeuomorphism!
Xenc is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:47 PM   #27
kurosov
macrumors 6502a

i was a BIG user of prey shuffle/DJ and from what i have seen so far up next functions much better.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:48 PM   #28
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
So basically the update is purely fluff. Nothing of substance to speak of.
What specifically were you looking for? This is a huge update.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:48 PM   #29
corsa
macrumors newbie

So far, I like the update, with a couple of exceptions:

1. "Up Next" is not a good enough replacement for iTunes DJ. Specifically, I miss the ability for guests to request and vote for music via the Remote app. (Interestingly, that capability still exists in the new Remote 3.0 app, if you connect to iTunes 10... so at least they didn't remove it from Remote... maybe it will return to iTunes 11 as part of Up Next?)

2. I haven't been able to find the "Display Duplicates" feature. In iTunes 10, it was under File -> Display Duplicates, but can't find it anywhere in 11.
corsa is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:48 PM   #30
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

You people actually liked coverflow? What the hell is wrong with you?
BeachChair is offline   53 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:48 PM   #31
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

I think it looks absolutely fantastic. Makes everything so pleasant and modern.
PDFierro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Damme
macrumors newbie

Now it's possible to add multiple airplay speakers, that wasn't possible before, was it?
Damme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:50 PM   #33
tech4all
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachChair View Post
You people actually liked coverflow? What the hell is wrong with you?
I could say the same about you. You don't like Coverflow? What are you smoking?

I actually like the scroll through the album designs to pick music. Didn't do it all the time, but it was a great feature.

Glad I read this thread first before I downloaded. Would not be happy.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:52 PM   #34
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
No Coverflow? No thanks, I'll stick with iTunes 10 then.
I know right !

I used it on the TV. When I had it on shuffle it was awesome.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #35
uncle.zed
macrumors newbie

NO more 'live search'.
no more artist column on side , just on top, which is uncomfortable. generaly i prefer itunes 10
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #36
diamondsw
macrumors newbie

Multi-CD albums are completely broken

Listening to a multi-CD audiobook is now a sanity test, as it jumps from "Disc 1, Chapter 1" to "Disc 2, Chapter 1" to "Disc 3, Chapter 1", etc. In short, it's sorting track number before considering disc number.

Thumb resize.

Everything shown here has proper metadata and worked fine in iTunes 10. This only happens in the new-and-improved album view - list view works just fine.

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: changed tags on oversized image from IMG to TIMG
diamondsw is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 PM   #37
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Does anyone know how to get back to the black background for Album view ?

All that white is hurting my eyes, it looks unfinished
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 PM   #38
deef
macrumors newbie

So much faster!

iTunes 11 is just a pleasure to use on my 2008 iMac, responsive and snappy. Up Next is a fantastic simplification - I can start a playlist, then add in songs that come to mind, & then iTunes will go back to the playlist right where it left off.

I was never impressed with CoverFlow. Recall that it was a third-party product that was acquired by Apple and shoved into iTunes. Invariably that kind of approach would lead to bloat - I won't miss it.
deef is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 PM   #39
corsa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus View Post
The expanded view is wonderful in theory. But you can't change the columns, so you can't see the iTunes Match status of the songs and you can't get the checkbox column so no way to uncheck that annoying video that you don't want added to Up Next when you add the album.
I just played with it, and found if you right-click on a track in the expanded view, the uncheck/check selection option is there and works... but there is absolutely no UI element for this feature, so you have no idea if a track is selected or not just by looking at it.
corsa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 PM   #40
Kevlar
macrumors 6502

Loving the update for how I use itunes. Now to see if itunes match has been fixed up to match songs better. Nothing worse then adding an album and having to upload 2 of the 11 songs or whatever...
Kevlar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 PM   #41
mactmaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsw View Post
Listening to a multi-CD audiobook is now a sanity test, as it jumps from "Disc 1, Chapter 1" to "Disc 2, Chapter 1" to "Disc 3, Chapter 1", etc. In short, it's sorting track number before considering disc number.

Everything shown here has proper metadata and worked fine in iTunes 10. This only happens in the new-and-improved album view - list view works just fine.
Looks like you just need to set the disc number/count and track number/count meta data correctly.
mactmaster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:56 PM   #42
Kevlar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa View Post
I just played with it, and found if you right-click on a track in the expanded view, the uncheck/check selection option is there and works... but there is absolutely no UI element for this feature, so you have no idea if a track is selected or not just by looking at it.
Yea noticed this too, but you can always go back to the song list to select un-select as well.
Kevlar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:57 PM   #43
ateslik
macrumors member

coverflow is one of the major features I use in OSX, so I really hope it's not removed from there in the future as well. I'm disappointed to hear it has been removed from iTunes. I guess it's best though to reserve judgement until I actually have a chance to download and try this new version.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:58 PM   #44
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

App is still heavily Carbon-based. The scroll bars still don't behave the way they should in 10.8.
Simplicated is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:59 PM   #45
newappleboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to newappleboy
TV shows now groups all seasons together which is horrible in my opinion. At the very least it should be an option to have all seasons of a show grouped under one heading or allow them to be separate like before. Doing it the way they have now makes artwork for all but the first season of a TV show useless. You'll never see it since when you click on the TV show the option to change seasons is in the upper right corner, but changing seasons doesn't change the artwork. This alone is a huge setback for me, one I'm very disappointed in.

P.S. - Podcasts still suck. I've never understood why they have artwork for a podcast in the store, but when you download it that artwork is gone and you're left with a screencap from a random part of any video episode. Yes, I realize both my complaints are related to artwork. I like a pretty iTunes. lol
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:59 PM   #46
jimbobb24
macrumors regular

Don't like it

I watched the video, read the new features, and unless something amazing is pointed out this seems like another "dumbgrade" where lots of useful stuff is dumbed down and taken away making managing my media and my devices harder. I will be happily sticking with 10 which works works perfect me and has stuff I think works well.
jimbobb24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:00 PM   #47
umbilical
macrumors 6502a

maybe I miss coverflow BUT seriously:

1. SONGS VIEW: where's the "artwork" ???
I have thousands of albums and now all looks list a lonnnnnnng list! with no separation!

2. ALBUMS VIEW: where's "groups albums by artist" ???
again I have thousands of albums and now all looks list a lonnnnnnng list! with no separation by artist

3. BLACK background option on Album, Artist, ang Genre Views ???

1: No Artwork, No separation, thousand of albums mixed!
Thumb resize.

2. No "groups albums by artist", mixed albums!
Thumb resize.

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Changed tags on oversized image from IMG to TIMG
umbilical is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:00 PM   #48
chriscl
macrumors 6502

For me, it's significantly faster. I like that.

And the default layout is kind of how I always had iTunes set up anyway.

I also had the "missing" AirPlay button, but going to the MiniPlayer, activating AirPlay and then back again to full screen, brought that back.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:00 PM   #49
topmounter
macrumors 68000

"Get Album Artwork" doesn't seem to work... even if "Show in iTunes Store" takes you to the exact album w/ artwork.

I'm also seeing a bunch of metadata anomalies now that I hadn't noticed in the past.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:02 PM   #50
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
I could say the same about you. You don't like Coverflow? What are you smoking?

I actually like the scroll through the album designs to pick music. Didn't do it all the time, but it was a great feature.
Yes, taking 5 minutes to find something that can be found in 10 seconds using any other method was a lot of fun.

I honestly had no idea anyone liked that "feature" until this thread. There's apparently more than one of you?
Small White Car is offline   18 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion