Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:37 PM   #101
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

I love everything about the iTunes update! I honestly don't care if cover flow is gone because I found it to be an inefficient way to view my music on a laptop. On the iPhone, I really like cover flow. Mac? Nah it's easier to just use a listed view, which they've just improved a ton
thisisdallas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:38 PM   #102
manu chao
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor5 View Post
For the people that hate the new icon, including me, go download Louie Mantia's replacement: http://mantia.me/icons/stores

He designed the blue one in v10 and the purple one matches the iOS iTunes store which is nice for consistency.
Now, I had used the purple one for all versions of iTunes 10 and iTunes 11 after updating retained that purple application icon.
manu chao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:39 PM   #103
Frisco
macrumors 68020

I regret upgrading. Rotten
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:40 PM   #104
Small White Car
macrumors G4

And while I'm complaining, here's things that aren't huge, but I don't understand:

1) When I'm in the library I see my wifi-attached-iPhone in the upper right with an eject button. When I switch to the store, it goes away. Why?

2) The placement of the cloud next to the media pull-down menu makes it look like I'm only browsing iCloud since it's right there like it's connected to that menu...as if you should be looking for a non-iCloud menu in there. Why not put that cloud somewhere where it's not right next to a menu like that?

3) People never really understood the iPhone backup thing (that you can backup to your computer and iCloud, but that only one can be automatic). Apple clearly knew this because they tried to make it clearer. The new method is almost better, but doesn't quite get there. Why not put a line between the left and right to make you understand that 'Auto' and 'Manual' are 2 independent settings, and not merely different check-boxes for one setting?

None of these are huge problems, but I keep running in to things that make me think "this was a huge re-write?"
Small White Car is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:40 PM   #105
wickedking94
macrumors 6502

I listen to the Rooster Teeth podcast and they use the enhanced m4a format that lets you embed links into the file but now theres no place for the link to show up. Stupid thing to get rid of really.
wickedking94 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:41 PM   #106
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

I like the artist view....I have 21,000 songs, so the ability to quickly scroll through just the artists is great and snappy. Only "bug" so far is that when I go to an artist, some of the album art does not show...it does in the mini player, but not for the album (to the left of the track list).
DudeDad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:42 PM   #107
Schmitty11
Banned

Coverflow sucked. You babies will get over it.
Schmitty11 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:42 PM   #108
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

It will take forever just figuring this out..

I didn't get the new iTunes icon on my toolbar either
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:43 PM   #109
sekazi
macrumors 6502

I found coverflow useless. I am liking the new way of managing the music. It seems simplified and browsing music is much better now. I have always done it by album.

My only gripe is the color choices on some albums as it can be annoying.

sekazi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:43 PM   #110
GR33NIE
macrumors 6502

Has the library summary @ the bottom gone completley like song count, size in GB etc? Anyway to get it back?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:44 PM   #111
Reaktor5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
I found coverflow useless. I am liking the new way of managing the music. It seems simplified and browsing music is much better now. I have always done it by album.

That's like a razor blade to the eyes.
Reaktor5 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:46 PM   #112
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Coverflow isn't bad on an iPhone or iPod Touch... but I never quite saw the point of it on a Mac.
myrtlebee is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:47 PM   #113
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Im gonna miss coverflow...but the COLORED ICONS ARE BACK

"Am I a good man?" -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:47 PM   #114
umbilical
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

you can remove that! acctually I remove it, I hate it... so fancy thing... looks better same design for all albums...

umbilical is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:48 PM   #115
Reaktor5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackyNinja View Post
Im gonna miss coverflow...but the COLORED ICONS ARE BACK
Gives me hope that colored icons in OS X could come back.
Reaktor5 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:48 PM   #116
globalist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu chao View Post
Well, as always, there are some nice views for people with maybe 100 albums. But those who have much more and thus much more edge cases, will always go back to the list view.
Except we won't because the list view now is just a huge table of text, with no album artwork to separate the albums or otherwise designate groups of songs.

Trust me I tried to use the current list view but ended up uninstalling and going back to itunes 10.7.
globalist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:49 PM   #117
corsa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR33NIE View Post
Has the library summary @ the bottom gone completley like song count, size in GB etc? Anyway to get it back?
View -> Show Status Bar (or command-/)
corsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:49 PM   #118
takasugi
macrumors member

Quote:
View - Show Status Bar
takasugi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:52 PM   #119
McScooby
macrumors regular

Quote:
click view and show status bar
McScooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:53 PM   #120
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

Why people are still using iTunes? I just sync my iPhone and buy apps through iTunes, but for everything else SongBird is the way to go.
Moshe1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:56 PM   #121
faroZ06
Banned

The new interface is nice, but it seems weird that the music control buttons are just play/pause/skip icons without any button behind them. It just looks so incomplete and appears to be floating randomly on the top-left.

Also, what happened to the frequency loudness bars??? You used to be able to press a button in the middle top panel to show the bars. It looked cool and was sometimes useful. Why get rid of an option?

But THE COLORED ICONS ARE BACK! YES!
faroZ06 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:00 PM   #122
Keebler
macrumors 68030

I just updated and haven't played with it much. I don't personally mind that cover flow is gone. I didn't use it often.

That said, I wonder how many of the folks who have expressed concern over the missing features or changed features, have watched the tutorial videos upon first launch or griping b/c they didn't even though those features might be there.

Just a legitimate question. I have a buddy who pulls that stunt all the time yet never RTFM or checks out the videos lol

I'm sure I'll come across something myself soon enough.
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:00 PM   #123
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe1010 View Post
Why people are still using iTunes? I just sync my iPhone and buy apps through iTunes, but for everything else SongBird is the way to go.
Why get a knockoff of iTunes when you can get the actual thing? Using two programs, one for syncing the iPod, just seems annoying.
faroZ06 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #124
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

Downloaded. Seems pretty snappy. First thing I noticed was the return of color icons (yay!) and reverting back to a white background (meh).

I am not necessarily a fan of the clouds next to the icons as I don't use iCloud and this makes it appear as though I'm only browsing icloud. This brings me to my first question. You can 'hide music in the cloud' in your main music library, but under my smart playlist, it still shows and I have no way to delete it. The songs that are in the cloud (for me at least) are crap I deleted and have zero interest in having in my library (that's why I deleted them in the first place!). How can I remove icloud music for good in smart playlists?

Next.... I think the new expanded view is pretty nice looking. Downside is, I have nearly 5,000 albums! Scrolling to find an artist is ridiculously time consuming. Searching by an artist/song/keyword no longer removes items that don't contain the word, it just brings a dropdown with various choices to choose from. This is pretty stupid and a PITA. I prefer to keep my main music sorted by artist. Of course, with thousands of artists, now I also have to scroll for quite some time as the album info takes up most of the space. Second question is, how can you view artists like you can albums?

Depending on the answers to the above, while I like the overall look, I may have to downgrade. Damn updates.
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:03 PM   #125
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, but they can also be nice:

Don't worry. Even though I have V.G. Varun music, I never listen to it.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion