Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somethincurious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hi everyone! I am wondering if Root's "Visual Shield" is normally meant to go on a mac? I noticed my macbook pro was running extremely hot, checked my activity monitor, and noticed that this "visual shield" was using up 99% of my CPU. I quit the program, but this keeps happening over an over again. When I search for "Visual Shield" using spotlight, it doesn't come up-- I can never find it, except through activity monitor when it is using all my computer's CPU. When it is not running, it disappears without a trace.

I googled it to see if I could uninstall it, and it seems to be a PC software. I am not sure how it got on my mac, or how to get rid of it. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks in advance!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I looked for it on google and it appears it's PC shareware. It is possible to run an exe on OSX in crossover, wine or in a virtual machine like virtualbox, parallels or vmware.

If you see it sitting at 99 percent cpu, you could always force quit the thing. Check your login items and see if it's listed there. Don't get too aggressive trying to delete the thing because you might delete something you actually need.

Can you provide more details such as your version of OSX, how long you've had your Mac and any software you might have installed recently? On OSX, deleting a program can be as simple as dragging it's app file (which is really a folder) to the trash if you don't mind little bits like plist files and library resource files being left lying around. I don't mind this one bit as leftover files amount to less than a gig of space on my 750GB Macintosh HD.

I must caution you against those "cleaner" apps as they often do more harm than good and might stop your Mac from working properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.