Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:02 PM   #26
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Despite that it's not for me, I really hope it does well enough to make Apple and Google nervous. I'm happy with Apple right now, but the reason Microsoft sucks today is because it became too big and didn't need to try. The company forgot how to try and compete, and I don't want that happening to Apple.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:03 PM   #27
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Sad that Windows 8 has flopped, the sales of the OS and Surface aren't doing as well as they expected.. Not entirely surprised though, I've been seeing constant complaints by advanced and basic users all over the internet..
I'm laughing my ass off... pc sales dropped 28% from this time last year when there wasn't even a new os to push sales.

Great concept.... what apple should have done with Lion and missed out on... but a concept headed by microsoft, who has no clue what people want. Of course the implementation if flawed, but they can say they did it first. Biggest complaint for the past year was confusion in the interface and how to use it.... that's a big issue
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:04 PM   #28
ancorena
macrumors newbie

Well

At the very same price, Surface or Macbook Air...
Well, hello!!??
ancorena is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:04 PM   #29
Sixtafoua
macrumors 6502

I'm actually really interested in the surface pro. The stylus and mini DisplayPort make it very compelling to me.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #30
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by knemonic View Post
Anyone think these could go the way of the touchpad?

And as always, too little, too late, Microsoft.

Another bites the dust.
this is the wave of the future.... i mean it took microsoft till windows 7 to put out a quality os (copied the hell out of everyone else to do so, but they did put out something almost viable). I don't think this is going to die, but its going to be a painful path of upgrades before they get it right.
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #31
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Not sure how its a fail.

It's not even for sale yet. Lets see how people respond to it before we start up with the usual partisan bashing.

For a touch, 1080p like this, I would say it ain't bad.

And I can guarantee you 90% of people who want this were waiting for the Pro.

I admit, RT is a joke, but this might be pretty sweet
Four hour battery life means it's a fail no matter how you look at it.
ConCat is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #32
komodrone
Banned

does the surface have native palm rejection?
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:06 PM   #33
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a

Wow. Marketing trainwreck here. I am not a marketing person, but anyone could see surface RT and its crippled win 8--sort of--os were doomed, and that that their release would sabotage surface pro and win 8 generally. I guess a production problem prevented a Holiday release of Surface Pro; no one would do this on purpose, right? If this doesn't force Balmer out, nothing will.
rowspaxe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:08 PM   #34
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

4 hour battery life? DOA.
CrAkD is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:11 PM   #35
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Four hour battery life means it's a fail no matter how you look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
I will admit , that's not optimal. Lets see if that's a deal killer to the MS crowd
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:11 PM   #36
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
this is indeed concerning
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:12 PM   #37
malman89
macrumors 68000

I think the Touch Pad should be included at those price points, or price points should be -$100. The Type Pad could still be extra, but when I saw the price the only hesitation I had was missing a Touch/Type Pad.

I would love, love, love to buy one of these. A full blown laptop in tablet form? Perfect idea. I tend to avoid Rev.A products though. Bet Rev.B comes out by mid-2013 with 20-50% battery life. Or is Haswell going to be delayed since Ivy was? Would be a great chip in something like that.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:16 PM   #38
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Sad that Windows 8 has flopped, the sales of the OS and Surface aren't doing as well as they expected.. Not entirely surprised though, I've been seeing constant complaints by advanced and basic users all over the internet..
Windows 8 is the worst piece of garbage I have seen. And yes I suffered through Windows Me.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:16 PM   #39
Trentolol
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knemonic View Post
Anyone think these could go the way of the touchpad?
That would be great: I would definitely pick one of these up if there was a fire sale!
Trentolol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:17 PM   #40
vapspwi
macrumors newbie

Niche Application?

My first reaction on reading this story was that the Surface Pro is a trainwreck, and it may well be. That's pretty expensive for what you get.

However, as I read this thread, I thought of a couple of very niche uses where this might be useful. I work in a human factors lab, and we do a good bit of mockup and prototyping where being able to deploy a real Windows application (custom development) to a real computer with a tablet form factor (so it can be slipped into a tight space, like a car dash mockup) is really useful.

We've used some really bad "convertible" tablets with detachable keyboards from the early 2000s for that purpose in the past, so I could maybe see this device being useful for the kind of work that we do. Otherwise, it seems like a tablet would be more cost effective and a laptop would be more useful.

JRjr
vapspwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:17 PM   #41
Capitalis
macrumors newbie

If it wasn't for my hands-on experience at a MSFT booth the other day, I would probably making the same comments as a lot of the rest of you.

It was a 32GB version, so I guess it was running WinRT, but you would never know or care. It worked just like my friend's Windows 8 laptop she just bought. After using touch, mouse, and gestures all on one device (both on the laptop and Surface) I was surprised to come back to my Macbook Air feeling like I used to feel coming back to my old Dell after going to the Apple store to check out their latest machines - like something was missing from my machine. And I would consider myself more of an Apple fanboi than MSFT.

The only things that really keep me on the fence are Airplay, my questions about build quality, and my fear that Windows 8 will be like every other version of Windows in that it will be a little slow and not be quite as reliable as OSX. And I guess I'll add to that a little worry that Microsoft will just abandon it like they did the Zune (which could have been more competitive).

My impressions with it were very favorable, though. The little type pad took a little getting used to but it was better than touch typing on an iPad or Android device. It even had an touch pad where you point with a mouse and two-finger scroll. I found myself thinking of it as a full laptop a lot of time.

I also liked that it had a USB, HDMI, and expandable memory.
Capitalis is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 PM   #42
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
Great concept.... what apple should have done with Lion and missed out on... but a concept headed by microsoft, who has no clue what people want. Of course the implementation if flawed, but they can say they did it first. Biggest complaint for the past year was confusion in the interface and how to use it.... that's a big issue
No, I think the concept itself is flawed. It's the forced marriage of two mostly incompatible partners—touchscreen interface and pointing device interface. The only thing Apple has missed out on by keeping the Mac and the iPad as separate devices is falling on their arse in spectacular fashion. They left it to Microsoft to do that.
kalsta is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 PM   #43
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

when the pro fails surface will die like zuun
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:19 PM   #44
Imac&SoShouldU
macrumors member

Microsoft Reportedly Slashing Surface Tablet Production Due to Poor Sales...I've been reading this headline more often than not. It's obvious that android and apple are the true competitors of this day & age. Still my 1st computer was a god awful win/95 emachine. So I have a soft spot for the underdog. MS my how the mighty have fallen.
Imac&SoShouldU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:20 PM   #45
NewtonAurelius
macrumors newbie

Pro? I think the words "Pro" and "Premium" are the most overused words in marketing today. Obviously, many companies are guilty of this, not just Microsoft. Apple's subjective and ambiguous "good, better, best" drives me crazy too.
NewtonAurelius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:20 PM   #46
TSE
macrumors 68030

I just don't see why they used a Core i5 over the newest Atoms.

What real work besides watching videos, typing up documents, browsing the web, listening to music would the Surface Pro tablet do? The Atom accomplishes all these tasks.

An Atom would do all those tasks just fine, and increase the battery life, and lower the cost. Fail on Microsoft on that part.

Besides that, I like Windows 8 and I can't wait for next year's better models. I'll consider a thinkpad convertible if the price is right.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:20 PM   #47
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I will admit , that's not optimal. Lets see if that's a deal killer to the MS crowd
Even with the better battery life RT version Microsoft still have to cut down on making them! This thing is not selling as well as we all thought!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:21 PM   #48
throAU
macrumors 68030

So..

Laptop with touch (crappy, expensive optional keyboard required to run the legacy apps which are the big attraction of this particular device) that can't actually be used on your lap due to the retarded keyboard/kickstand design.

Half the battery life of an MBA13" or iPad.

No native apps to speak of.

Colour me uninmpressed.

We're planning to run windows on our iPads via remote desktop / VMware view (VDI) deployment.

For us, i see a future of dumb terminals in the office, iPads (or other lightweight tablet) and a few laptops that can check out VMs for users who will have poor or no comms back to HQ - all running desktop OS via VDI.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:22 PM   #49
benjones
macrumors regular

Quote:
Surface Pro will feature a battery life of roughly four-and-a-half hours, less than most laptops
Rubbish.
benjones is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:23 PM   #50
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Install a torrent client on your iPad, I dare you. Or any other Mac program.

You can't do it, I'll tell you why because everyone is confused :That's a big iPod touch !

This is a full OS WITH ...( W I T H ) touch
Why would you want to run a torrent client on your iPad? You obviously do not understand
iRCL is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion