Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin today announced the upcoming release of Apple-certified Lightning charge and sync cables for the iPhone 5, 5th generation iPod touch, fourth generation iPad and iPad mini.

Though there have been several unofficial third party Lightning accessories, Griffin's accessories will be the first official third-party standalone Lightning connector cables on the market when they launch next week.
Griffin's new cables with Lightning Connector are affordable charging solutions that are built to resist kinks and tangles. The cables work perfectly with Griffin's family of PowerBlocks and PowerJolts as well as Apple's USB power adapters, or plug into a computer's USB to sync with iTunes.
The company is offering several different cable configurations:

- 2' straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($16.99)
- 3' straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($18.99)
- 4' coiled USB-to-Lightning cable ($24.99)
- 9.8' (3 meter) straight USB-to-Lightning cable ($29.99)

lightningconnectorcables-500x199.jpg
Earlier this month, Belkin introduced two official Lightning accessories, including a car charger and the Charge + Sync Dock. Scosche has also announced car and home chargers, although its products have yet to begin shipping.

Apple has been maintaining strict control over its Lightning connectors, which has made it difficult for third party manufacturers to introduce new accessories.

Vendors that launch Lightning-related accessories must produce them in Apple-approved facilities. The Lightning connector also requires controller chips to take advantage of adaptive technology, which has delayed the release of third party Lightning accessories.

Article Link: Griffin Launching Official Lightning Connector Cables Next Week

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm looking forward to the increased competition. Apple's strict requirements and the Lightning technology itself put upward pressure on prices, so a little downward price pressure is a good counterbalance.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
What am I missing here? The OEM Apple cable is $19. The 3' Griffin is $18.99.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
What am I missing here? The OEM Apple cable is $19. The 3' Griffin is $18.99.

Options and cheap Amazon pricing on the Griffins? Also, they will be on clearance in a few months while the Apple ones are full blast price forever.

Did you expect quality $1.99 cables already or something?

Competition is good and will eventually drive down prices. That's a good thing.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Finally a black cable! I can use that in my car, instead of the white Apple ones which are equivalent to putting a sign on the car that says "Break into me, there might be expensive iDevices in me!"

Apple should sell black charge cables for this reason!

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
The Lightning Connector is Amazing!

The lightning connector is such a great new feature of Apple's latest gadgets. My favorite part about it is that it is reversible.

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Finally a black cable! I can use that in my car, instead of the white Apple ones which are equivalent to putting a sign on the car that says "Break into me, there might be expensive iDevices in me!"

Very good point, but you should put the cables away when you get out of the car anyway. Stupid criminals will see cables and be like $-)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

And they'd look slick with the black iPhone :cool:

briankwest77

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Doesn't this thing have a crypto chip on it?

I'm going to laugh when apple changes something to render these cables worthless.

/b

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I'm going to laugh when apple changes something to render these cables worthless.

/b

Liiiike, a new connector in another 7 years? Yeah, so hilarious.

Or are you suggesting that Apple will implement something to make "official" 3rd party cables useless?

Either way, this post is silly.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Indeed - It's probably that chip that Apple puts in them that costs 90% of the manufacturing of the cable.

I know the cable business a bit, those 8 feet of cable would probably cost an extra 20 cents and for the manufacturing process it takes maybe a few seconds more to make, whether it's 1 foot or several, total cost makes it only 20-30 cents more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.