Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #1
martymar112
macrumors member

help with .EXE file

I am taking a online class and need help downloading an exe file. My class deals with Microsoft office programs. So my class set up an EXE file that has saved files on it to edit and do changes with but i am having trouble downloading it or finding a free or cheap program that will convert these so i can get these word, excel, and powerpoint files on my computer.
if anyone can help i would appreciate it thats again
mike
martymar112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Is this just a EXE of compressed files? You can use the free app The UnArchiver to open that.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #3
jlehman
macrumors member

Generally .exe is an application or installer for a windows application. I think you are going to need Windows to open that or maybe someone could open it for you and email you the files.
jlehman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlehman View Post
Generally .exe is an application or installer for a windows application. I think you are going to need Windows to open that or maybe someone could open it for you and email you the files.
More likely that Weaselboy is correct and it's just a self-extracting archive if the OP is right that it contains a bunch of Office docs.

B
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:59 AM   #5
jlehman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Is this just a EXE of compressed files? You can use the free app The UnArchiver to open that.
You could try UnArchiver. Always a good free app to have. I've also used The Unarchiver which is found on the App Store. If it's an actual windows application you're probably not gonna be able to open it / install it though.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
balamw

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ may be another option. I've run several standalone Windows apps successfully with it.

B
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
martymar112
macrumors member

it works

Weaselboy

thanks it worked like a champ. got it downloaded in sec!!
martymar112 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
jlehman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
More likely that Weaselboy is correct and it's just a self-extracting archive if the OP is right that it contains a bunch of Office docs.

B
Hopefully, just strange they didn't use a simple .zip file but some of these online courses and stuff have stupid programs. I work at a college and MyITLab is a pain for students with Mac. I just recommend they use college computers. I hate that software. Sadly it even works terrible in Windows too.

http://www.myitlab.com/
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlehman View Post
Hopefully, just strange they didn't use a simple .zip file
Nothing strange about it. Self extracting archives are very common.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:09 PM   #10
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Self extracting archives are very common.
A fact which remains unfortunate since self-extracting archives can be an easy vector for viruses to attach themselves to.

B
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:22 PM   #11
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
A fact which remains unfortunate since self-extracting archives can be an easy vector for viruses to attach themselves to.

B
This.

I remember the days of making self-extracting archives, in the 90's. In the DOS days. The big benefit was that folks didn't have to download and install PKZIP or UnARJ or LZH or whatever compression program you used. You just made it an EXE and everyone could use it. But every major OS has included built in ZIP file support for the past decade or more. Self extracting EXEs are no longer necessary and, as balamw indicated, potentially even dangerous.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:21 PM   #12
jlehman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
This.

I remember the days of making self-extracting archives, in the 90's. In the DOS days. The big benefit was that folks didn't have to download and install PKZIP or UnARJ or LZH or whatever compression program you used. You just made it an EXE and everyone could use it. But every major OS has included built in ZIP file support for the past decade or more. Self extracting EXEs are no longer necessary and, as balamw indicated, potentially even dangerous.
I guess i'm just a young buck. I've never seen a self extracting .exe in my life and I've worked with win 98 and OSX 10.5 till now. I guess i just always seen .zip or .rar when people send compressed folders or files. Good to know and have fun in your online course OP.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store