Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:22 AM   #1
BDub-Hay
macrumors newbie

Data Recovery from Botched Battery Replacement

Hello, my name is Brian and I have sinned. My friend asked me to replace the battery in his ipod touch gen 4. I didn't ask him to back everything up prior to me digging in. After I removed the battery from the main board i noticed that the entire middle solder pad had lifted off the board. I gave the board to a co-worker who does this stuff every day to see if he could repair it and he is telling me it doesn't look good and may not be able to repair it. Looking at the replacement battery i bought i see that there is "+" and "-" on the two outer terminals. Does anybody know what the middle pad is for? I have access to a programmable power supply; worst case scenario, can i solder on some leads to the outer solder pads, and power the ipod on long enough to do a proper backup? If i snap everything back together without a battery and plug the ipod into my computer will it power up so i can do a proper backup. Any suggestions, advise, or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian
BDub-Hay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:00 AM   #2
richwoodrocket
macrumors 68000

Sounds like you maybe shouldn't be attempting this...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:46 PM   #3
hockeyman94
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDub-Hay View Post
Hello, my name is Brian and I have sinned. My friend asked me to replace the battery in his ipod touch gen 4. I didn't ask him to back everything up prior to me digging in. After I removed the battery from the main board i noticed that the entire middle solder pad had lifted off the board. I gave the board to a co-worker who does this stuff every day to see if he could repair it and he is telling me it doesn't look good and may not be able to repair it. Looking at the replacement battery i bought i see that there is "+" and "-" on the two outer terminals. Does anybody know what the middle pad is for? I have access to a programmable power supply; worst case scenario, can i solder on some leads to the outer solder pads, and power the ipod on long enough to do a proper backup? If i snap everything back together without a battery and plug the ipod into my computer will it power up so i can do a proper backup. Any suggestions, advise, or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian
The iPod will not boot up without a battery in it. With that being said you can try finding the trace the pad normally connects to, scrape off some lacquer and re-attach to a new point.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch