Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

TweetDeck for Mac Updated with Improved Filters, Keyboard Commands, and Advanced Search Tools

Twitter has released a significant update to its TweetDeck Mac App, adding features like improved filters, new font sizes, and the advanced search tools that were originally added to the Chrome application in December.

Column filters, which have long been a part of the TweetDeck Web app, are a new addition to the Mac version, along with tools for filtering columns by content and users.

With content filters, TweetDeck users can filter Twitter streams with several different parameters, including media, RTs, and including and excluding terms. The update also offers additional font sizes and new keyboard commands.

Quote:
-Introduced column filters and powerful advanced search
-Added Content filters to columns and search including ability to filter by media, RTs, including and excluding terms
-Added Users filters to columns and search including ability to filter by verified users, members of a list and more
-Added wide column setting
-Added new font sizes to settings
-Spacebar now triggers page down event
-Cmd+W closes windows
-Social proof for favorites & RTs in detail view
-Added verified badge to list searches
-Enabled infinite scroll in temporary columns
In early March, Twitter announced that it was ending support for TweetDeck for iPhone, Android, and TweetDeck AIR, focusing instead on its TweetDeck Web app and Google Chrome apps, along with its native Mac and PC apps.

TweetDeck for Mac is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: TweetDeck for Mac Updated with Improved Filters, Keyboard Commands, and Advanced Search Tools
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Now if only they'd bring back 1/2 the features they killed off when Twitter bought them. Sadly Twitter doesn't seem all that interested in the development of the app compared to when they were independent.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Andy-V
macrumors 6502

Is the app just the web version loaded in a frame? Looks like it may be.
Andy-V is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:06 PM   #4
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

tweet deck seems a bit too cluttered for a twitter client

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #5
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

The original one was still better by a long shot.
tekboi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
ipedro
macrumors 68020

I run social media programs for a few brands and this app has been amazing. I keep it in full screen on a 27" iMac where I can monitor everything happening all at once with just a glance.

However, a glaring absence is that of trends. What if I want to monitor Twitter trends? There's no column for trending topics, only the ability to see what is trending and then follow a single trend. The data is already being collected and served in the app, but the app doesn't allow it to be displayed in a dynamic column. What gives?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:09 AM   #7
tobyw7
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to tobyw7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
I run social media programs for a few brands and this app has been amazing. I keep it in full screen on a 27" iMac where I can monitor everything happening all at once with just a glance.

However, a glaring absence is that of trends. What if I want to monitor Twitter trends? There's no column for trending topics, only the ability to see what is trending and then follow a single trend. The data is already being collected and served in the app, but the app doesn't allow it to be displayed in a dynamic column. What gives?
Try Socialite: http://www.apparentsoft.com/socialite
tobyw7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:42 PM   #8
sjhankinson
macrumors newbie

I personally prefer the Twitter for Mac app. I only need one column!
sjhankinson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:15 PM   #9
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhankinson View Post
I personally prefer the Twitter for Mac app. I only need one column!
I would tell you to try Tweetbot for mac. But I don't think anybody is wanting to pay $20 for a Twitter App. I'm just crazy like that.
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:52 AM   #10
tobyw7
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to tobyw7
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormSD View Post
tweet deck seems a bit too cluttered for a twitter client
It's very good for news and reporting etc, as it works very nicely indeed on a big screen!
tobyw7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:36 PM   #11
sensel
macrumors newbie

Largest font size still too small

This has been an ongoing problem with TweetDeck and why I still can't use it. I have my Twitter app set to 18 point and it works and is readable for anyone over 35. But despite TweetDeck finally allowing larger point sizes, they stupidly do not use point sizes but go from ambiguously scaled Smallest to Largest. The largest size is still smaller than 19 points on Twitter.
Twitter needs to bring on or consult an experienced graphic designer with some typographic layout or publication experience and get that type straitened out so humans with average to aging eye site can use TweetDeck on an iMac.
sensel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion