Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have a couple movies with foreign soundtracks that I'd like to add the english tracks to them. The english tracks are not perfectly matched up (maybe a couple seconds at the front and end are blank space) so I would have to do a little work to get them in sync. Is there a program I could use without reencoding the video?

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I am not completely sure since I haven't really tried it, but Avidemux seems to be able to do that. You can just set the "video" part to "Copy".

I am sure that "ffmpeg" can do this, but it is a command line tool and the shifting around of audio is kind of a pain. And I have yet to find a good graphical user interface for it.

If I had to do this, I would probably go the following route: Line up video and audio in any nonlinear editor, like for example Final Cut. Export just the audio from this project. Then stitch the audio and original video together with ffmpeg (or avidemux, if you're afraid of the Terminal).

Good luck!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
What software are you using? If it is FCP-X it is simple. But not knowing it is not much point telling you.
You see lack of information is not the key here.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.