Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Hello!

After having loads of problems with my NAS which worked as Time Machine backup for my macs, I'm now considering getting an actual server (possibly mac mini) instead which would work as a Time Machine Server along with other things.

My question for you guys is:

Since I would also like to save some pennies if possible, I was considering getting an older mac mini, possibly even so old that it would not be able to run Mountain Lion. Since I would mostly be using it as a Time Machine Server does it matter that the OSX version is older than with the laptops it is backing up? Or would I be saving myself a lot of trouble, if I just bought a mac capable of running Mountain Lion Server?

Thanks!

motorboating

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
It's easiest to go for Mountain Lion, but that said, unless you're delving in to LDAP, portable home directories and the suchlike and just using it for Time Machine, you shouldn't have issues with newer operating systems on the client side.

However, Snow Leopard Server was expensive for home use, and is increasingly hard to find (aforementioned link notwithstanding), and Lion Server was $50. Good luck finding it now though (it's been superseded by Mountain Lion, and wasn't ever available as a standalone).

Depending on what you can find in terms of Server versions, Mountain Lion may be your only choice. No point in spending $400 on an old Mac mini and $350+ on Snow Leopard Server if you can spend $620 on a new mini and ML Server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.