Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:32 AM   #76
Radio
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
The iPhone is designed to be used with one hand. Bigger phones are not. That's the difference. If you're fine with using your phone with two hands from time to time, then the iPhone isn't for you, and you can get a larger phone.
That's what they tell u
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:40 PM   #77
Bahroo
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
to be honest i came from a S3, and i thought the screen size would be drastically worse coming from a S3 to a iPhone 5...and it actually blew my expectations away. i love the 4 inch screen and i find it to be quite spacious and just about perfect in my hand

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
That's what they tell u
what do you mean thats what they tell you.... it is true try holding a GS3 with one hand and do things with one hand it is next to impossible unless you have hot dog fingers, or your a NBA player with gigantic hands
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:26 PM   #78
vaio1990
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I just wish that apple gives as options... One for 4" and 5"
vaio1990 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:03 PM   #79
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
to be honest i came from a S3, and i thought the screen size would be drastically worse coming from a S3 to a iPhone 5...and it actually blew my expectations away. i love the 4 inch screen and i find it to be quite spacious and just about perfect in my hand

----------



what do you mean thats what they tell you.... it is true try holding a GS3 with one hand and do things with one hand it is next to impossible unless you have hot dog fingers, or your a NBA player with gigantic hands
I don't understand the one hand thing. Most people have 2 hands. I guess for ME if I only have one hand available I probably shouldn't be surfing on my phone.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:07 PM   #80
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
I don't understand the one hand thing. Most people have 2 hands. I guess for ME if I only have one hand available I probably shouldn't be surfing on my phone.
because not everyone wants to use 2 hands to use a phone. you don't use two hands to use a computer mouse do you ?
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:40 PM   #81
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
because not everyone wants to use 2 hands to use a phone. you don't use two hands to use a computer mouse do you ?
OK, nice logic. You don't use any hands to ride a unicycle.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:00 PM   #82
virginblue4
macrumors 65816
 
virginblue4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.
I've used it quite extensively and have no problem reaching towards the top corners with one hand. I have quite small hands as well.
__________________

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.1
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:29 PM   #83
saberahul
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: On my iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
yes, and I am larger than average.

Unless you are an NBA player, you are still using two hands many times.
I wear L size gloves, not XL. I am able to use the very top of the iPhone with one hand's thumb on both sides. Oh and I am not an NBA player.
__________________
iPhone iPad MacBook Pro
saberahul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:40 PM   #84
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
I wear L size gloves, not XL. I am able to use the very top of the iPhone with one hand's thumb on both sides. Oh and I am not an NBA player.
lol - I want smart phone gloves, the touch sensors never work when i have gloves on.

:-( but i guess i live in miami so i don't wear gloves anyway.

But i digress, i have normal sized hands and i can reach everywhere on my screen as well.

All i have to say is i love the 4" screen and basically whoever doesn't like it can go with android or a windows phone, i really don't care. You have options out there so why complain?
__________________
iPhone 5 (White 64GB) ; MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad-core,16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD; TV 3
Prime85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:56 PM   #85
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
OK, nice logic. You don't use any hands to ride a unicycle.
Yeah I need two hands to use my pen, I mean that's why I have 2 right???
Apple should create a pen with twice the ink storage for quadruple the price. Maybe it will be bigger.
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:05 PM   #86
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Yeah I need two hands to use my pen, I mean that's why I have 2 right???
Apple should create a pen with twice the ink storage for quadruple the price. Maybe it will be bigger.
Never mind.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:25 PM   #87
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I got my Note 2 Thursday and I can't look back to anything smaller. It's a beast but the entire package is well rounded. Trying to kill the battery is a fun exercise that takes almost 22 hours to accomplish with my hard usage.
And to say Android sucks or is crap is just a defensive knee jerk reaction to protect what you have known for years. Don't believe everything you hear or experienced before Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean with touchwiz takes stock Android to a new level.

I passed on the iPhone 5 because I know Apple is going to keep that 4" display and resolution for at least 2 to 3 years while Android makes 1920x1080p standard across many sizes. The iPhone 5 is still great and has it's place for it's ease of use and size. That's why I bought one for me wife. I need a bigger kick and the Note 2 delivers.
cdmoore74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:31 PM   #88
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

No, it doesn't. There is no better time than this present moment to switch to Android.
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:00 PM   #89
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
No, it doesn't. There is no better time than this present moment to switch to Android.
One of the things that drove me nuts while I was an Android user (that doesn't seem to have changed) is that you can buy the latest and greatest phone one day, Google will release an Android update about two months later, and it takes another six months after its released for the update to land on your phone.

I watch the All About Android podcast on TWiT and it seems like most weeks, one of the hosts mentions that they're still waiting to get an Android update on a phone that's only a few weeks/months old.

I realize you can root and ROM to get the update earlier, but it's a shame that Google lets the carriers keep critical OS upgrades out of the hands of customers.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:07 PM   #90
ConCat
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In an ethereal plane of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
That's what they tell u
...and I will quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Forgive me, but you're mistaken. I own an iPhone 5 and have no trouble using it with one hand. I will admit that I have large hands however.
You may want to read ahead a little, a few posts at least, to make sure your issue wasn't already dealt with. Especially issues on the first page...
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:19 PM   #91
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
One of the things that drove me nuts while I was an Android user (that doesn't seem to have changed) is that you can buy the latest and greatest phone one day, Google will release an Android update about two months later, and it takes another six months after its released for the update to land on your phone.

I watch the All About Android podcast on TWiT and it seems like most weeks, one of the hosts mentions that they're still waiting to get an Android update on a phone that's only a few weeks/months old.

I realize you can root and ROM to get the update earlier, but it's a shame that Google lets the carriers keep critical OS upgrades out of the hands of customers.
You want innovation to stop for you?
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:04 PM   #92
lke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
You need an ipad or an ipad mini.

The screen from the iphone 5 and 4S is the best out there. There is no better screen that the retina display. No other phone in the market has one like it.
lke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:07 PM   #93
Smithwicks
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
You need an ipad or an ipad mini.

The screen from the iphone 5 and 4S is the best out there. There is no better screen that the retina display. No other phone in the market has one like it.
HTC One X?
Smithwicks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:30 PM   #94
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwicks View Post
HTC One X?
Don't bother, they will say the 14ppi extra makes the magicalagical iPhone 5 the most awesomest screen in the universe.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:33 PM   #95
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
The iPhone is designed to be used with one hand. Bigger phones are not. That's the difference. If you're fine with using your phone with two hands from time to time, then the iPhone isn't for you, and you can get a larger phone.
While I understand, I must that despite having a big hand, i can barely touch the top bar (with the Back or cancel buttons for example) and at the same time be able to push the home button.

I do appreciate the bigger screen but sometimes I feel it's way too tall.
And using an iphone 4 now feels like a miniature iphone.
jmmo20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:33 PM   #96
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
One of the things that drove me nuts while I was an Android user (that doesn't seem to have changed) is that you can buy the latest and greatest phone one day, Google will release an Android update about two months later, and it takes another six months after its released for the update to land on your phone.

I watch the All About Android podcast on TWiT and it seems like most weeks, one of the hosts mentions that they're still waiting to get an Android update on a phone that's only a few weeks/months old.

I realize you can root and ROM to get the update earlier, but it's a shame that Google lets the carriers keep critical OS upgrades out of the hands of customers.
A legitimate frustration.

However, consider that Android has gotten to a point where it's incredibly stable and effective. Some might argue better than iOS. At this point and time, it's just not that important to have the latest update right away. A few months wait won't suddenly render your phone obsolete or useless.

There's also the Nexus line if updates are utterly important or, as you mentioned, rooting and flashing them yourself (a process that has gotten a lot safer and easier to do lately).

Lastly, iOS may update across generations of iDevices, but often you don't get everything the latest OS offers. In some cases, you don't even get the main feature of said OS update (iPhone 4 and SIRI, Navigation come to mind. These are the two respective main features of iOS 5 and 6 respectively).
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:34 PM   #97
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
You want innovation to stop for you?
No, I was saying was that it's unfortunate that Google is beholden to the carriers when it comes to releasing updates for Google's OS. That was one of the biggest annoyances I faced for the year I had an Android phone.

I bought an Android phone on the day it was released to the public. Google released a major OS upgrade within three months of the day I bought the phone. Verizon didn't push the OTA update until six months after Google released the update. Waiting six months for an update to an OS that's evolving so quickly is unacceptable. Google should work to change the process for how their OS is updated on non-Google handsets.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:41 PM   #98
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
Don't bother, they will say the 14ppi extra makes the magicalagical iPhone 5 the most awesomest screen in the universe.
Its not all about PPI. That is easily seen by comparing iPhone 4 with the iPhone 5 screen. They both have the same PPI but its obvious that the 5 ha a much better screen.

iPhone 5's PPI is not that much better then the SIII but its so easy to see the difference in quality between the 2 screens with the iPhone 5's screen being so much better its on a completely different level.
__________________
iPhone 5 (White 64GB) ; MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad-core,16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD; TV 3
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:09 PM   #99
griefrev
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes...

I found that my eyes hurt more with the 4 than with the 5. I'm not sure what's different about it, that's just how it works for me.
griefrev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:12 PM   #100
bdavis89
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Do you guys know how to appreciate the things you have? Apple bumped the screen up to 4" and people are not happy. Even if Apple made it stay at 3.5", people are also not happy.

What the hell do you guys want? Its not like Apple can create the perfect screen size that will please every single individual out there.
So Apple needs to create multiple screen sizes. They did it with the iPad.

PS: Don't say the 4/4S classifies as multiple screen sizes. We all know they're just the old models and are on the way out. They are not still on sale so people can choose a different screen size. They are still on sale because they cater to those who want a cheaper iPhone.
bdavis89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
27 inch 2013 iMac with 27 inch Planar Helium touch screen as 2nd monitor. CochlearArch Mac Peripherals 3 Feb 1, 2014 09:41 PM
i'm sick and tired of the hipster "Pros" on this forum! animatedude Wasteland 23 Jul 14, 2013 02:19 PM
i'm sick and tired of waiting on an Apple branded TV! animatedude Apple TV and Home Theater 54 Feb 25, 2013 08:25 AM
4 inch screen IUBall22 iPhone 7 Oct 22, 2012 09:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC