Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:42 PM   #126
josh995
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.
I use mine with one hand all the time. I can reach anywhere on the screen with my thumb.

So, no, we didn't fall for marketing. Sorry you have small hands.

And to the others who are saying educate yourself on Android - I just came from the Galaxy S3. Android does suck. It sucks hardcore. But, that's my opinion.
josh995 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:58 PM   #127
koigirl
macrumors 6502

I would really like to see them utilize similar basic phone dimensions to the 5 but just make a phone a tad wider and use more of the dead space at the top and bottom of phone to keep a 16:9 ratio, thus providing a slightly larger screen size. I almost always type in portrait with two hands and still feel a bit squeezed with the width when I type, read emails, news, etc. I don't want to carry around a giant phablet, though! The 5 was a move in the right direction but I do wish it was just a tad wider.

The other thing I have noticed with the 5 that I've found somewhat hard to get used to is that the screen feels further away from my fingers when I hold it in portrait and type (if this makes sense). Landscape typing seems easier, though, and more natural. I think my problem with portrait typing on the 5 is because it's thinner and my fingers/hands are so accustomed to typing on the old 4 form factor.
koigirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:19 AM   #128
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/
Maybe you should get a 4.1 inch android phone might be better for your eyes. Lol jk jk
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:32 AM   #129
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave78 View Post
I have average, or maybe slightly larger hands than average. I have had the S3 and Gnex, and they are both easily navigated with one hand. It takes minimal effort and .2 seconds to adjust your phone in your hand(using only that same hand) to pull down the notification center at the top of the screen. I mean how lazy are people?

All this two handed talk to use a 4.7" is a joke, i tons and tons of girls at work using the S3 all the time, none of them are bitching about the size.

I will say though ALL of these issues for the people that do have issues could easily be resolved if they JUST PUT THE DAMN CONTROLS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN INSTEAD. Its a simple fix...

Put the notification at the bottom, swipe up to get it, put all menu buttons, or any buttons at the bottom..easy again. There would be ZERO reasons to reach to the top of the screen then, unless you want to click a link or something maybe, but then all you gotta do anyway is scroll down a little to avoid that...who knows though, that may be to much work for some people
I agree having buttons on the bottom is really convenient, but I see so many people shifting their S3s in their hand as they try to reach to the top of the screen. With the iPhone 5, you have to do this too but to a lesser degree and also it's easier to hold to boot because of the width. The S3 is "manageable" but I feel I have to be ever so cautious because the weight is balanced weirdly when holding it.

On another note, I really wish Apple uses those thin bezel LCDs soon so they can make the screen wider without sacrificing their touted one handed usage. The glass bezel on the left and right of the screen has been the same width since 2007! The only thing they changed is the body of the phone and removed the metal bezel like on the 3GS to make the phone thinner.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:56 AM   #130
///M Powah
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberman2 View Post
My favourite hollywood singer is Justin Bieber.
Can you stop making useless posts? Thanks.
///M Powah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:14 AM   #131
wwwwww
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.

I easily type this whole message with one hand

Last edited by dejo; Dec 17, 2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Removed name-calling.
wwwwww is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:24 AM   #132
boomhower
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwwww View Post
I easily type this whole message with one hand
Typing on the keyboard and reaching for the upper corners are two different things. I agree, the 4.0 is not nearly as easy to use one handed. I have to adjust the phone to reach the upper corners. I can still use it one handed but not nearly as easy. I'd just rather have a larger screen and be done with it. 4.3 would be my pick.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 17, 2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
boomhower is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:16 AM   #133
VulchR
macrumors 68000

OP should have gone to Spec Savers.

Seriously, though, I too wish the iPhone had a larger display. Frankly it is because I do have to go to Spec Savers. Being visually impaired, it could care less about retina display resolution. I need contrast and larger text size. Perhaps with the recent shakeup at Apple, they'll pull their thumb out and realize that the iPhone is an information manager. They'd realize then that the iPhone small screen makes as much sense as the small screen on the original Mac - it's good for the first few iterations, but in the long run people want more of their retina stimulated.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:10 AM   #134
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
I passed on the iPhone 5 because I know Apple is going to keep that 4" display and resolution for at least 2 to 3 years while Android makes 1920x1080p standard across many sizes.
Why not just put a 4k display in phones? Not like you can see a difference past the resolution the iPhone 5 has anyway, but why not increase the cost of just the screen by double?
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #135
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Okay do u think if they made it a little wider you couldn't do it?

Keep the height the same but wider...

YES U CAM DO IT,!,!,!,,!,,
if they made a edge to edge bezel that would be incredible, the phone feels really comfortable to hold as it is any wider would start messing that feel up.. but if they made a edge to edge screen that would be so nice.
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:52 PM   #136
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
OP should have gone to Spec Savers.

Seriously, though, I too wish the iPhone had a larger display. Frankly it is because I do have to go to Spec Savers. Being visually impaired, it could care less about retina display resolution. I need contrast and larger text size. Perhaps with the recent shakeup at Apple, they'll pull their thumb out and realize that the iPhone is an information manager. They'd realize then that the iPhone small screen makes as much sense as the small screen on the original Mac - it's good for the first few iterations, but in the long run people want more of their retina stimulated.
Wasn't it just last year that everyone was saying they wanted a 4" screen and complained when didn't get one. Now that they got that it isn't good enough for them. If you don't like it then their are plenty of alternatives
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:59 PM   #137
brinycbri
macrumors 6502a

buy an ipad mini
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:06 PM   #138
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

I thought 4" would be perfect, but I'm really craving 4.5-4.7" now. I think Apple will do it eventually, and they'll do it without really changing the dimensions of the phone too much.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:12 PM   #139
benjalamelami
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I can use it only with one hand. No problem. BUT only when I have to. But you can use it with only one hand.
benjalamelami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:15 PM   #140
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Yes, blame Apple, it's entirely their fault that you purchased something that doesn't suit your needs/preference.

Where the heck did accountability in consumerism go? This is a perfect case of - the customer is not always right.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:20 PM   #141
kamalds
macrumors regular

While I love my iPhone 5, I kind of miss the ability to play any video format out of the box which I enjoyed on my GS3 and Note 2.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:28 PM   #142
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I thought 4" would be perfect, but I'm really craving 4.5-4.7" now. I think Apple will do it eventually, and they'll do it without really changing the dimensions of the phone too much.
You're probably right. But adding half an inch to the screen diagonally isn't going to all of a sudden make it easier to read on.

Phones are good for short bursts on the go and things like that. If you're going to do a lot of browsing on a mobile device you really need an iPad (or a tablet of some sort depending on what brand you prefer).
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:33 PM   #143
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
Wasn't it just last year that everyone was saying they wanted a 4" screen and complained when didn't get one. Now that they got that it isn't good enough for them. If you don't like it then their are plenty of alternatives
Android? Seriously, though, I don't think 4" is the sweat spot, for the phone needs to be wider. Seriously, why should a phone adopt the aspect ratio of a movie screen? It just makes little sense to me....
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:36 PM   #144
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Quote:
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5..<snip>
So get something else. There are lots of big screen android phones out there. Pick one.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:46 PM   #145
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Ah!

Quote:
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/
I'm very late in my fourth decade and not getting any younger and my eyes have always had a terrible eyeglass prescription.

But, I like the iPhone5 screen a lot.

I would have a serious problem going to another type of phone because that retina display really should be marketed as "so clearly legible that even aliensporebomb's horribly defective eyes can view the screen clearly in a variety of conditions".

Shrug.

----------

Quote:
As bad as my eyesight is, I have huge hands. Ask any guitar player - I can play the spider finger Allan Holdsworth knuckle busting chords with ease.

If I hold the iphone5 with its bottom at the base of my palm it ends and I still have two knuckles to go. In fact, if I curl my middle finger over the top it ends at the far right side of the phone.

I'm a freak, I know. Maybe one of those droids would be more appropriate for my sasquatch hand size.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:49 PM   #146
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
You're probably right. But adding half an inch to the screen diagonally isn't going to all of a sudden make it easier to read on.

Phones are good for short bursts on the go and things like that. If you're going to do a lot of browsing on a mobile device you really need an iPad (or a tablet of some sort depending on what brand you prefer).
Adding half an inch or more makes a dramatic difference. And if the iPad has proven anything, it's that bigger looks better. Movies, photos, web pages, games, everything looks nicer.
zbarvian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:55 PM   #147
raptorstv
Banned

Quote:
Adding half an inch or more makes a dramatic difference. And if the iPad has proven anything, it's that bigger looks better. Movies, photos, web pages, games, everything looks nicer.
iPhones 5-inch will definitely cannibalize the sales of ipad mini... but on the positive note, apple will be able to sell more of the 9.7" retina ipad, which is more expensive...

win-win for consumers and apple
raptorstv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:58 PM   #148
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
iPhones 5-inch will definitely cannibalize the sales of ipad mini... but on the positive note, apple will be able to sell more of the 9.7" retina ipad, which is more expensive...

win-win for consumers and apple
Five inches is too big, hah
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:01 PM   #149
raptorstv
Banned

Quote:
Five inches is too big, hah
it'd be nice though...
raptorstv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:09 PM   #150
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
it'd be nice though...
I feel beyond 4.7 is getting unwieldy, and is crossing into phablet territory. A 4.7" screen with similar dimensions to the iPhone 5 (probably a little wider) would arguably be the sweet spot for most users. Who knows, with the rate things are going, the sweet spot might be 5.x inches in a year or two.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone