Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
raptorstv
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
iPad mini aspect ratio is awful

terrible device for watching youtube videos.... black bars waste like 40% of the screen... wth apple? please make mini ipad with 16:10 aspect ratio!
raptorstv is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:28 AM   #2
schulzmc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
But that aspect is perfect for reading. I love it as is.
schulzmc is offline   8
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:44 AM   #3
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Same ratio as Ipad? Its smaller so you have to deal with it.
raccoonboy is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:47 AM   #4
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I prefer it to nexus 7's 16:9

Landscape viewing there's no comparison.

Lots of black bars for movies but honestly serious movie watching has to be done on my ipad 3. There is no comparison for that either
thadoggfather is offline   4
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:59 AM   #5
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Stop trolling raptorstv.

Didn't you already created a similar thread about the iPhone?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499084
hyteckit is offline   5
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 AM   #6
raptorstv
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
My pet peeves
raptorstv is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:43 AM   #7
spacepower7
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
My pet peeves
Then go to android where you can get various screen dimensions in various resolutions.

Apple tries to make simplified product ranges where one size fits all. In reality one size doesn't fit all but it fits the majority. That's the goal, we can nitpick individual problems but the overall consumer experience rules.

In order to appeal to your desire for a video aspect ratio tablet in landscape, Apple would piss off people who prefer ebooks and web browsing in portrait mode, which are worse on Android screen dimensions.

Not to sound like a jerk but you want everything catered to you, but your usage may be in a minority. Smart Apple designers spent years thinking and testing the iPad since 2003.

Realize some things...

The world doesn't revolve around you or your needs or wants, which may be in the minority.

Businesses by nature need to earn money to make their next gadgets.

Apple has $100+ billion in the bank bc they are catering to what the mass majority wants.

Just bc the Internet allows you to voice your opinions maybe you shouldn't , you might want to stop and think about them before posting. Your opinion is worthless if you don't have a rational internal arguments with yourself and give rational arguments in favor of your stance.

Your post was ME ME ME instead of us, the rest of us.
spacepower7 is offline   12
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:51 AM   #8
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
16:9 would be a great aspect-ratio

If all the iPad did was play movies.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   5
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:57 AM   #9
nishishei
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
I would not buy any tablet with 16:9.

Reading scientific journals and textbooks would be full of black bars and unnecessary small fonts, or zooming and panning.

Believe it or not, there are actual people who use their ipad for more than watching movies. Movies are for my 50” tv, not a dinky 9 inch display wide screen or not.
nishishei is offline   8
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Booji
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Singapore
4:3 is perfect. It was a wise decision by Apple.

Most of tablet use is portrait mode and 16:9 does not work well.

As for Mini vs. N7, there is another post here that shows video is the same size even with Mini's letterbox because the Mini's screen is bigger.
Booji is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:27 AM   #11
raptorstv
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishishei View Post
I would not buy any tablet with 16:9.

Reading scientific journals and textbooks would be full of black bars and unnecessary small fonts, or zooming and panning.

Believe it or not, there are actual people who use their ipad for more than watching movies. Movies are for my 50 tv, not a dinky 9 inch display wide screen or not.
Oh.. Youre right... I could just display youtube vids using ZippoTV
raptorstv is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
terminator-jq
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Try using a 16:10 tablet. It's great for movies, but when you try to do anything meaningful on it, it becomes useless. Not to mention, the new Android tablets have the home and back buttons on screen so you are going to lose about half an inch of screen space just on buttons.

That's what bugs me about people comparing the resolution of the Nexus 7 to the iPad mini. They all seem to forget that the bottom portion of the screen on the Nexus 7 is reserved for buttons and is unusable. I wonder what the resolution would be if they took that into account.
terminator-jq is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:14 PM   #13
nfl46
macrumors 601
 
nfl46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator-jq View Post
Try using a 16:10 tablet. It's great for movies, but when you try to do anything meaningful on it, it becomes useless. Not to mention, the new Android tablets have the home and back buttons on screen so you are going to lose about half an inch of screen space just on buttons.

That's what bugs me about people comparing the resolution of the Nexus 7 to the iPad mini. They all seem to forget that the bottom portion of the screen on the Nexus 7 is reserved for buttons and is unusable. I wonder what the resolution would be if they took that into account.
This.

The only way to get rid of it is to root your Android device, but most don't know how.
nfl46 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM   #14
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Everything but videos suck on a 16:9 screen. Use a N7 and you'll quickly find that in landscape and with the keyboard open, you get to see like 5 sq inches of the screen...
cnguyen0320 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:23 PM   #15
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Does anyone use the iPhone 5 for videos more often? That seems more ideal than the iPad because of the 16:9 ratio.

I think 4:3 is the best aspect ratio for a tablet. The one downside is black bars for videos, but it's worth it because makes web browsing/reading, etc. so much more usable.

Do people actually find the iPad/mini that bad for videos? I've seen photos, and yes you do get black bars, but it's not horrible. I think people overstate this, just like how the quality of the mini screen is overstated.

On another subject, what about 4:3 vs. 16:9 for games? They do fill up the entire screen, correct?
PDFierro is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:55 PM   #16
clumsythief83
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I'll admit that I would have loved that the iPhone and the iPad were both at 3:2, just like all the iPhones that came before the iPhone 5. Would be much easier for the developers also.
clumsythief83 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:20 PM   #17
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishishei View Post
I would not buy any tablet with 16:9.
Agreed. That is a major feature for iPad.
Awakener is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:36 PM   #18
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Agreed. That is a major feature for iPad.
+1. 4:3 is the reason to own an iPad, honestly, and a major reason why I'd buy no other tablet type.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is online now   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:46 PM   #19
plucky duck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
The aspect ratio on the iPad is fine, unless you strictly use it to watch videos the iPad aspect ratio does everything else better imo.
plucky duck is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:30 PM   #20
zephyrnoid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Geneva Switzerland
Yeas. I wrote a nice flaming thread on the aspect ratio prior to release in August and seems I was right. Apple needs to ditch 4:3 on the next version, the iPad Micra.
Not that I derive any pleasure from saying... "I told you so "
And yes, having received a Nexus7,32/Cellular last week for my B'day. I'm where I need to be, till the ipad Micra comes out
Oh and by the way to reiterate... for over 100 years most western civilization has been reading newspapers that are laid out in 8pt text on narrrrrrrrow columns.

"Column width
In the United States, a common newspaper column measurement is about 11 picas wide (or about 1.83 inches), though this measure varies from paper to paper and in other countries. The examples in this article follow this assumption for illustration purposes only."

So there!
__________________
"Big Brother Lives in the Cloud"

Last edited by zephyrnoid; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
zephyrnoid is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:45 PM   #21
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrnoid View Post
Yeas. I wrote a nice flaming thread on the aspect ratio prior to release in August and seems I was right. Apple needs to ditch 4:3 on the next version, the iPad Micra.
Not that I derive any pleasure from saying... "I told you so "
And yes, having received a Nexus7,32/Cellular last week for my B'day. I'm where I need to be, till the ipad Micra comes out
Oh and by the way to reiterate... for over 100 years most western civilization has been reading newspapers that are laid out in 8pt text on narrrrrrrrow columns.

"Column width
In the United States, a common newspaper column measurement is about 11 picas wide (or about 1.83 inches), though this measure varies from paper to paper and in other countries. The examples in this article follow this assumption for illustration purposes only."

So there!
Yes they wrote them in columns, probably because it flowed much better over a huge piece of paper instead of giant paragraph/wall of text. Is there any reason we can't evolve from this method reading because what we are reading on is changing? Your argument is pointless. Most of the things we read on the internet are not laid out in columns anymore anyway, and magazines are slowly moving away from this strict format as well.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 PM   #22
akdj
macrumors 65816
 
akdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrnoid View Post
Yeas. I wrote a nice flaming thread on the aspect ratio prior to release in August and seems I was right. Apple needs to ditch 4:3 on the next version, the iPad Micra.
Not that I derive any pleasure from saying... "I told you so "
And yes, having received a Nexus7,32/Cellular last week for my B'day. I'm where I need to be, till the ipad Micra comes out
Oh and by the way to reiterate... for over 100 years most western civilization has been reading newspapers that are laid out in 8pt text on narrrrrrrrow columns.

"Column width
In the United States, a common newspaper column measurement is about 11 picas wide (or about 1.83 inches), though this measure varies from paper to paper and in other countries. The examples in this article follow this assumption for illustration purposes only."

So there!
Lol...actually it seems (from reading the 20 responses in this thread) that you are Wrong! Newspapers? They're completely dead!!! No one is reading papers any longer. 150 year old newspaper companies are going out of business. Completely different format regardless.

Bizarre comparison. I'm with the majority in the thread. 4:3 is the ONLY way to go on a tablet. Other than specific games that require landscape mode, I'm always using my iPads in portrait. Reading, browsing, drawing, coding, editing photos and videos--actually the latter I do use in landscape. Other than that...even the cases are set up to hold comfortably in portrait mode

Good luck with that Nexus

J
akdj is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:58 PM   #23
wildestpixel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I prefer it to nexus 7's 16:9

Landscape viewing there's no comparison.

Lots of black bars for movies but honestly serious movie watching has to be done on my ipad 3. There is no comparison for that either
Nexus 7 is 16:10 - do the maths.
__________________
13.3" 2012 MBP, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD
iPad Mini 32GB Slate LTE
wildestpixel is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 PM   #24
TheSpeaker
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Lot of people got in trouble over a stupid forum topic.
TheSpeaker is offline   0
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:44 AM   #25
urkel
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Lots of black bars for movies but honestly serious movie watching has to be done on my ipad 3. There is no comparison for that either
Huh?!?! "Serious movie watching has to be done on my ipad 3"? HDTVs/large monitors are dirt cheap and movie theaters are everywhere so are people really choosing to do "serious" feature length movie viewing on a 9.7" iPad over a home theater or movie theater? Because it's really sad if people are watching a movie like The Dark Knight rises for the first time by making popcorn, turning off the lights and holding an iPad up to their face for three hours while missing out on the immersive experience of watching an amazing movie in a "serious" movie setup.

I find the iPad to be a "convenient" device for watching youtube shorts or sitcom reruns on netflix but for actual movies then I'd rather wait until Ive got time to see it on a big screen where I can appreciate what 200million dollars of explosives looks like.
urkel is offline   0


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
21:9 aspect ratio?? mobydick01 Mac mini 7 Jan 12, 2014 01:39 PM
5s photo aspect ratio? borgqueenx iPhone 0 Sep 12, 2013 06:54 PM
vlc aspect ratio Tech198 Digital Video 6 Jan 25, 2013 12:58 AM
The aspect ratio of next week's iPad mini and iPad (with Lightning) will be... Redbeard25 iPad 1 Oct 16, 2012 12:56 PM
The New iPhone's aspect ratio dvir971 iPhone 1 Sep 8, 2012 05:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC