Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
raptorstv
Banned

iPad mini aspect ratio is awful

terrible device for watching youtube videos.... black bars waste like 40% of the screen... wth apple? please make mini ipad with 16:10 aspect ratio!
raptorstv is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:28 AM   #2
schulzmc
macrumors regular

But that aspect is perfect for reading. I love it as is.
schulzmc is offline   8
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:44 AM   #3
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Same ratio as Ipad? Its smaller so you have to deal with it.
raccoonboy is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:47 AM   #4
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

I prefer it to nexus 7's 16:9

Landscape viewing there's no comparison.

Lots of black bars for movies but honestly serious movie watching has to be done on my ipad 3. There is no comparison for that either
thadoggfather is offline   4
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:59 AM   #5
hyteckit

Stop trolling raptorstv.

Didn't you already created a similar thread about the iPhone?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499084
hyteckit is offline   5
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 AM   #6
raptorstv
Banned

My pet peeves
raptorstv is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:43 AM   #7
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
My pet peeves
Then go to android where you can get various screen dimensions in various resolutions.

Apple tries to make simplified product ranges where one size fits all. In reality one size doesn't fit all but it fits the majority. That's the goal, we can nitpick individual problems but the overall consumer experience rules.

In order to appeal to your desire for a video aspect ratio tablet in landscape, Apple would piss off people who prefer ebooks and web browsing in portrait mode, which are worse on Android screen dimensions.

Not to sound like a jerk but you want everything catered to you, but your usage may be in a minority. Smart Apple designers spent years thinking and testing the iPad since 2003.

Realize some things...

The world doesn't revolve around you or your needs or wants, which may be in the minority.

Businesses by nature need to earn money to make their next gadgets.

Apple has $100+ billion in the bank bc they are catering to what the mass majority wants.

Just bc the Internet allows you to voice your opinions maybe you shouldn't , you might want to stop and think about them before posting. Your opinion is worthless if you don't have a rational internal arguments with yourself and give rational arguments in favor of your stance.

Your post was ME ME ME instead of us, the rest of us.
spacepower7 is offline   12
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:51 AM   #8
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

16:9 would be a great aspect-ratio

If all the iPad did was play movies.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:57 AM   #9
nishishei
macrumors regular

I would not buy any tablet with 16:9.

Reading scientific journals and textbooks would be full of black bars and unnecessary small fonts, or zooming and panning.

Believe it or not, there are actual people who use their ipad for more than watching movies. Movies are for my 50” tv, not a dinky 9 inch display wide screen or not.
nishishei is offline   8
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Booji
macrumors regular

4:3 is perfect. It was a wise decision by Apple.

Most of tablet use is portrait mode and 16:9 does not work well.

As for Mini vs. N7, there is another post here that shows video is the same size even with Mini's letterbox because the Mini's screen is bigger.
Booji is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:27 AM   #11
raptorstv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishishei View Post

Reading scientific journals and textbooks would be full of black bars and unnecessary small fonts, or zooming and panning.

Believe it or not, there are actual people who use their ipad for more than watching movies. Movies are for my 50 tv, not a dinky 9 inch display wide screen or not.
Oh.. Youre right... I could just display youtube vids using ZippoTV
raptorstv is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
terminator-jq
macrumors newbie

Try using a 16:10 tablet. It's great for movies, but when you try to do anything meaningful on it, it becomes useless. Not to mention, the new Android tablets have the home and back buttons on screen so you are going to lose about half an inch of screen space just on buttons.

That's what bugs me about people comparing the resolution of the Nexus 7 to the iPad mini. They all seem to forget that the bottom portion of the screen on the Nexus 7 is reserved for buttons and is unusable. I wonder what the resolution would be if they took that into account.
terminator-jq is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:14 PM   #13
nfl46
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator-jq View Post
Try using a 16:10 tablet. It's great for movies, but when you try to do anything meaningful on it, it becomes useless. Not to mention, the new Android tablets have the home and back buttons on screen so you are going to lose about half an inch of screen space just on buttons.

That's what bugs me about people comparing the resolution of the Nexus 7 to the iPad mini. They all seem to forget that the bottom portion of the screen on the Nexus 7 is reserved for buttons and is unusable. I wonder what the resolution would be if they took that into account.
This.

The only way to get rid of it is to root your Android device, but most don't know how.
nfl46 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM   #14
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Everything but videos suck on a 16:9 screen. Use a N7 and you'll quickly find that in landscape and with the keyboard open, you get to see like 5 sq inches of the screen...
cnguyen0320 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:23 PM   #15
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Does anyone use the iPhone 5 for videos more often? That seems more ideal than the iPad because of the 16:9 ratio.

I think 4:3 is the best aspect ratio for a tablet. The one downside is black bars for videos, but it's worth it because makes web browsing/reading, etc. so much more usable.

Do people actually find the iPad/mini that bad for videos? I've seen photos, and yes you do get black bars, but it's not horrible. I think people overstate this, just like how the quality of the mini screen is overstated.

On another subject, what about 4:3 vs. 16:9 for games? They do fill up the entire screen, correct?
PDFierro is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:55 PM   #16
clumsythief83
macrumors regular

I'll admit that I would have loved that the iPhone and the iPad were both at 3:2, just like all the iPhones that came before the iPhone 5. Would be much easier for the developers also.
clumsythief83 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:20 PM   #17
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishishei View Post
Agreed. That is a major feature for iPad.
Awakener is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:36 PM   #18
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Agreed. That is a major feature for iPad.
+1. 4:3 is the reason to own an iPad, honestly, and a major reason why I'd buy no other tablet type.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:46 PM   #19
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

The aspect ratio on the iPad is fine, unless you strictly use it to watch videos the iPad aspect ratio does everything else better imo.
plucky duck is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:30 PM   #20
zephyrnoid
macrumors 6502

Yeas. I wrote a nice flaming thread on the aspect ratio prior to release in August and seems I was right. Apple needs to ditch 4:3 on the next version, the iPad Micra.
Not that I derive any pleasure from saying... "I told you so "
And yes, having received a Nexus7,32/Cellular last week for my B'day. I'm where I need to be, till the ipad Micra comes out
Oh and by the way to reiterate... for over 100 years most western civilization has been reading newspapers that are laid out in 8pt text on narrrrrrrrow columns.

"Column width
In the United States, a common newspaper column measurement is about 11 picas wide (or about 1.83 inches), though this measure varies from paper to paper and in other countries. The examples in this article follow this assumption for illustration purposes only."

So there!

Last edited by zephyrnoid; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
zephyrnoid is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:45 PM   #21
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrnoid View Post
Yeas. I wrote a nice flaming thread on the aspect ratio prior to release in August and seems I was right. Apple needs to ditch 4:3 on the next version, the iPad Micra.
And yes, having received a Nexus7,32/Cellular last week for my B'day. I'm where I need to be, till the ipad Micra comes out
Oh and by the way to reiterate... for over 100 years most western civilization has been reading newspapers that are laid out in 8pt text on narrrrrrrrow columns.

"Column width
In the United States, a common newspaper column measurement is about 11 picas wide (or about 1.83 inches), though this measure varies from paper to paper and in other countries. The examples in this article follow this assumption for illustration purposes only."

So there!
Yes they wrote them in columns, probably because it flowed much better over a huge piece of paper instead of giant paragraph/wall of text. Is there any reason we can't evolve from this method reading because what we are reading on is changing? Your argument is pointless. Most of the things we read on the internet are not laid out in columns anymore anyway, and magazines are slowly moving away from this strict format as well.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 PM   #22
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrnoid View Post

"Column width

So there!
Lol...actually it seems (from reading the 20 responses in this thread) that you are Wrong! Newspapers? They're completely dead!!! No one is reading papers any longer. 150 year old newspaper companies are going out of business. Completely different format regardless.

Bizarre comparison. I'm with the majority in the thread. 4:3 is the ONLY way to go on a tablet. Other than specific games that require landscape mode, I'm always using my iPads in portrait. Reading, browsing, drawing, coding, editing photos and videos--actually the latter I do use in landscape. Other than that...even the cases are set up to hold comfortably in portrait mode

Good luck with that Nexus

J
akdj is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:58 PM   #23
wildestpixel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I prefer it to nexus 7's 16:9

Landscape viewing there's no comparison.

Lots of black bars for movies but honestly serious movie watching has to be done on my ipad 3. There is no comparison for that either
Nexus 7 is 16:10 - do the maths.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 PM   #24
TheSpeaker
Banned

Lot of people got in trouble over a stupid forum topic.
TheSpeaker is offline   0
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:44 AM   #25
urkel
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Huh?!?! "Serious movie watching has to be done on my ipad 3"? HDTVs/large monitors are dirt cheap and movie theaters are everywhere so are people really choosing to do "serious" feature length movie viewing on a 9.7" iPad over a home theater or movie theater? Because it's really sad if people are watching a movie like The Dark Knight rises for the first time by making popcorn, turning off the lights and holding an iPad up to their face for three hours while missing out on the immersive experience of watching an amazing movie in a "serious" movie setup.

I find the iPad to be a "convenient" device for watching youtube shorts or sitcom reruns on netflix but for actual movies then I'd rather wait until Ive got time to see it on a big screen where I can appreciate what 200million dollars of explosives looks like.
urkel is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland