Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 AM   #1
leekohler
Banned

Tony Perkins Won't Take It Back; Uganda Is Still Exemplary

At this point, why are these people not being brought up on serious charges?

I'm at my wit's end.

http://www.advocate.com/news/world-n...da-example-god

Quote:
Tony Perkins claims that his tweet supporting Uganda's president had nothing to do with the headlines the country's Parliament generated by renewing consideration of the so-called "kill the gays" bill.

The timing of his tweet, he claims, is a coincidence. Perkins blames the media for a conflation and specifically calls out the Human Rights Campaign, which condemned Perkins as president of the Family Research Council for supporting Uganda at this critical moment.

In a newsletter today, Perkins downplayed his tweet, in which he said "American liberals are upset that Ugandan Pres is leading his nation in repentance — afraid of a modern example of a nation prospered by God."

As he often does, Perkins attacked the media. "With fewer journalists able to separate the news from their personal politics, groups like FRC are no longer fighting bias — but outright deception," he wrote today. Perkins said the tweet was in response to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni "who took the bold step of leading his country in a public prayer of confession for a multitude of sins Uganda committed over the last 50 years, including the genocide of Idi Amin."
[MOD NOTE: Site related discussion moved to S&FF]

Last edited by balamw; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: see mod note
leekohler is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

lee, although i agree with your sentiment and find perkins' position on the uganda anti-gay laws despicable, i don't see what kind of charges can be brought legally.

also, I am completely baffled by the spinoff on the S&FF board.
am i missing something?
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Here we go again. Twitter really isn't made for politicians... or anyone not wanting to be pulled into an argument. There was absolutely no reason for him to compliment the president of Uganda - I just don't see the connection - especially during a time where homosexuals over there are being targeted in such a brutal way.

He can spin it around any way he wants, deep down we all know he's only tweeted that out of spite. Now he has to sow what he reaped.
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:21 AM   #4
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroony View Post
Here we go again. Twitter really isn't made for politicians... or anyone not wanting to be pulled into an argument. There was absolutely no reason for him to compliment the president of Uganda - I just don't see the connection - especially during a time where homosexuals over there are being targeted in such a brutal way.

He can spin it around any way he wants, deep down we all know he's only tweeted that out of spite. Now he has to sow what he reaped.
I feel that any American who supports this kind of BS should be charged with something. This is hideous. If this were WW2 and Uganda said this kind of thing about Jews, there would be serious consequences.

But because it's us, nothing. At what point do we hold people accountable?

Last edited by leekohler; Dec 1, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
leenak
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I feel that any American who supports this kind of BS should be charged with something. This is hideous. If this were WW2 and Uganda said this kind of thing about Jews, there would be serious consequences.

I disagree, I don't think charges would've been brought up on someone. I think there would be public scrutiny of such things. And I had to look up Tony Perkins, I wasn't aware of his name but I am aware of his hate group. I don't think anything can be done about such things.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
niuniu
Banned

A reminder that homophobia is still socially acceptable because of religion. It's the last remaining populist network for bigotry.
niuniu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Ya this is pretty disgusting.

I have no clue how people can feel this way and think they're doing "God's work" when in reality they're acting like some of the worst people in the Bible.

I really think most churches don't read their Bible's and only cherry pick and encourage group think to support personal bigotry.

I know my Bible, God, and Jesus do not tell me to hate or discriminate against anyone...not sure why these other people think theirs do.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
I disagree, I don't think charges would've been brought up on someone. I think there would be public scrutiny of such things. And I had to look up Tony Perkins, I wasn't aware of his name but I am aware of his hate group. I don't think anything can be done about such things.
But there is no public scrutiny of Perkins, is there? This article is barely on the radar.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

I truly think Tony Perkins is a closet case. Doth protest too much, methinks.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
A reminder that homophobia is still socially acceptable because of religion. It's the last remaining populist network for bigotry.
Quoting this because it needs to be said more. Too many times to these ***** get a pass because it's their "religion". What a crock of ****. Enough.

It's not okay to hate somebody by the color of their skin. It's not okay to hate somebody based on their gender. It's not okay to hate someone based on their religion. And it's not okay to hate someone based on their sexuality.

So how is it okay to use religion as an excuse to hate someone based on their sexuality?? That's ludicrous.

God doesn't exist and the bible is a book of fairy tales written by people back in the day as a means to control others. Anyone who buys into this and uses it as a disguise for bigotry and blind hatred is (1) a sucker and (2) the lowest form of excrement on this planet.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Confused. You once defended that church who protests army funerals on the grounds of free speech but now you want this dude held accountable somehow over a tweet. Why?
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #12
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:04 PM   #13
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Because he not also tweets but gives money and resources to these murderers. As does Mr. robertson.
Exactly, as far as I know, Westboro hasn't killed anyone or given vast amounts of money to countries like Uganda. Words are one thing, actions are quite another.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:04 PM   #14
rrl
macrumors 6502

[off topic]

Jesus = The man mentioned and quoted in the New Testament

My opinions:
  • Jesus never existed; he is a fictional character.
  • Jesus was a closet homosexual.
  • The New Testament writers were closet homosexuals.
  • For the above opinions, but not only for the above opinions, Christianity has been, and always will be, the Webster definition of hypocrisy.
Peace out!

[/off topic]
rrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:07 PM   #15
yg17
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrl View Post
[off topic]

Jesus = The man mentioned and quoted in the New Testament

My opinions:
  • Jesus never existed; he is a fictional character.
  • Jesus was a closet homosexual.
  • The New Testament writers were closet homosexuals.
  • For the above opinions, but not only for the above opinions, Christianity has been, and always will be, the Webster definition of hypocrisy.
Peace out!

[/off topic]
My opinion as an Atheist is that Jesus existed (although his mother was no virgin. My theory is she got drunk one night and didn't remember who the father was, and since Maury Povich wasn't around back then, she said she was a virgin and people believed it) and would be completely disgusted by what people are doing in his name today.
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:22 PM   #16
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:

What about musicians who advocate doing horrible things in their music? I agree what this guy is doing is terrible but in terms of charging a crime, I have to disagree. We've not charged people like Eminem for music, so on what basis can we charge him?

He is absolutely disgusting but he does have the right to free speech. It appalls me that someone would say what he does, but I'm not sure how much of a legal reaction would be beneficial to anyone...it could potentially inflame the situation.

Now as far as action/material support, hell yeah they should charge him.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues