Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 AM   #1
leekohler
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Tony Perkins Won't Take It Back; Uganda Is Still Exemplary

At this point, why are these people not being brought up on serious charges?

I'm at my wit's end.

http://www.advocate.com/news/world-n...da-example-god

Quote:
Tony Perkins claims that his tweet supporting Uganda's president had nothing to do with the headlines the country's Parliament generated by renewing consideration of the so-called "kill the gays" bill.

The timing of his tweet, he claims, is a coincidence. Perkins blames the media for a conflation and specifically calls out the Human Rights Campaign, which condemned Perkins as president of the Family Research Council for supporting Uganda at this critical moment.

In a newsletter today, Perkins downplayed his tweet, in which he said "American liberals are upset that Ugandan Pres is leading his nation in repentance — afraid of a modern example of a nation prospered by God."

As he often does, Perkins attacked the media. "With fewer journalists able to separate the news from their personal politics, groups like FRC are no longer fighting bias — but outright deception," he wrote today. Perkins said the tweet was in response to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni "who took the bold step of leading his country in a public prayer of confession for a multitude of sins Uganda committed over the last 50 years, including the genocide of Idi Amin."
[MOD NOTE: Site related discussion moved to S&FF]

Last edited by balamw; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: see mod note
leekohler is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Don't panic
macrumors 68040
 
Don't panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: having a drink at Milliways
lee, although i agree with your sentiment and find perkins' position on the uganda anti-gay laws despicable, i don't see what kind of charges can be brought legally.

also, I am completely baffled by the spinoff on the S&FF board.
am i missing something?
__________________
I do not believe in lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.
Miles Straume
linky to stonyc's ww table
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Andeavor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Here we go again. Twitter really isn't made for politicians... or anyone not wanting to be pulled into an argument. There was absolutely no reason for him to compliment the president of Uganda - I just don't see the connection - especially during a time where homosexuals over there are being targeted in such a brutal way.

He can spin it around any way he wants, deep down we all know he's only tweeted that out of spite. Now he has to sow what he reaped.
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:21 AM   #4
leekohler
Thread Starter
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroony View Post
Here we go again. Twitter really isn't made for politicians... or anyone not wanting to be pulled into an argument. There was absolutely no reason for him to compliment the president of Uganda - I just don't see the connection - especially during a time where homosexuals over there are being targeted in such a brutal way.

He can spin it around any way he wants, deep down we all know he's only tweeted that out of spite. Now he has to sow what he reaped.
I feel that any American who supports this kind of BS should be charged with something. This is hideous. If this were WW2 and Uganda said this kind of thing about Jews, there would be serious consequences.

But because it's us, nothing. At what point do we hold people accountable?

Last edited by leekohler; Dec 1, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
leenak
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I feel that any American who supports this kind of BS should be charged with something. This is hideous. If this were WW2 and Uganda said this kind of thing about Jews, there would be serious consequences.

But because it's us, nothing. At what point do we hold people accountable?
I disagree, I don't think charges would've been brought up on someone. I think there would be public scrutiny of such things. And I had to look up Tony Perkins, I wasn't aware of his name but I am aware of his hate group. I don't think anything can be done about such things.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
niuniu
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A man of the people. The right sort of people.
A reminder that homophobia is still socially acceptable because of religion. It's the last remaining populist network for bigotry.
niuniu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
Ya this is pretty disgusting.

I have no clue how people can feel this way and think they're doing "God's work" when in reality they're acting like some of the worst people in the Bible.

I really think most churches don't read their Bible's and only cherry pick and encourage group think to support personal bigotry.

I know my Bible, God, and Jesus do not tell me to hate or discriminate against anyone...not sure why these other people think theirs do.
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8
leekohler
Thread Starter
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
I disagree, I don't think charges would've been brought up on someone. I think there would be public scrutiny of such things. And I had to look up Tony Perkins, I wasn't aware of his name but I am aware of his hate group. I don't think anything can be done about such things.
But there is no public scrutiny of Perkins, is there? This article is barely on the radar.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I truly think Tony Perkins is a closet case. Doth protest too much, methinks.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
A reminder that homophobia is still socially acceptable because of religion. It's the last remaining populist network for bigotry.
Quoting this because it needs to be said more. Too many times to these ***** get a pass because it's their "religion". What a crock of ****. Enough.

It's not okay to hate somebody by the color of their skin. It's not okay to hate somebody based on their gender. It's not okay to hate someone based on their religion. And it's not okay to hate someone based on their sexuality.

So how is it okay to use religion as an excuse to hate someone based on their sexuality?? That's ludicrous.

God doesn't exist and the bible is a book of fairy tales written by people back in the day as a means to control others. Anyone who buys into this and uses it as a disguise for bigotry and blind hatred is (1) a sucker and (2) the lowest form of excrement on this planet.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I feel that any American who supports this kind of BS should be charged with something. This is hideous. If this were WW2 and Uganda said this kind of thing about Jews, there would be serious consequences.

But because it's us, nothing. At what point do we hold people accountable?
Confused. You once defended that church who protests army funerals on the grounds of free speech but now you want this dude held accountable somehow over a tweet. Why?
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #12
AhmedFaisal
Guest
 
<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:04 PM   #13
leekohler
Thread Starter
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Because he not also tweets but gives money and resources to these murderers. As does Mr. robertson.
Exactly, as far as I know, Westboro hasn't killed anyone or given vast amounts of money to countries like Uganda. Words are one thing, actions are quite another.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:04 PM   #14
rrl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
[off topic]

Jesus = The man mentioned and quoted in the New Testament

My opinions:
  • Jesus never existed; he is a fictional character.
  • Jesus was a closet homosexual.
  • The New Testament writers were closet homosexuals.
  • For the above opinions, but not only for the above opinions, Christianity has been, and always will be, the Webster definition of hypocrisy.
Peace out!

[/off topic]
rrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:07 PM   #15
yg17
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrl View Post
[off topic]

Jesus = The man mentioned and quoted in the New Testament

My opinions:
  • Jesus never existed; he is a fictional character.
  • Jesus was a closet homosexual.
  • The New Testament writers were closet homosexuals.
  • For the above opinions, but not only for the above opinions, Christianity has been, and always will be, the Webster definition of hypocrisy.
Peace out!

[/off topic]
My opinion as an Atheist is that Jesus existed (although his mother was no virgin. My theory is she got drunk one night and didn't remember who the father was, and since Maury Povich wasn't around back then, she said she was a virgin and people believed it) and would be completely disgusted by what people are doing in his name today.
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:22 PM   #16
NickZac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I feel that any American who supports this kind of BS should be charged with something. This is hideous. If this were WW2 and Uganda said this kind of thing about Jews, there would be serious consequences.

But because it's us, nothing. At what point do we hold people accountable?
What about musicians who advocate doing horrible things in their music? I agree what this guy is doing is terrible but in terms of charging a crime, I have to disagree. We've not charged people like Eminem for music, so on what basis can we charge him?

He is absolutely disgusting but he does have the right to free speech. It appalls me that someone would say what he does, but I'm not sure how much of a legal reaction would be beneficial to anyone...it could potentially inflame the situation.

Now as far as action/material support, hell yeah they should charge him.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tom Perkins new voting plan to make Plutocracy official jnpy!$4g3cwk Politics, Religion, Social Issues 16 Feb 20, 2014 09:38 PM
iPhone in Uganda? willmtaylor iPhone 0 Sep 27, 2012 01:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC