Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Kindakrazy
macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who thinks iTunes 11 looks like crap?

First off I am a huge apple fan and love almost everything they do. Heck I used to work for them (great, great company to work for!). Some might say I am holding onto the past. But is this really the design change that we all needed. Yes cover flow is gone and it was useless so good riddance. But lets look at some of the cons...

1. iTunes store...the home page looks like it took every piece of content it had and then puked it onto my screen. How is this neat, simplistic and modern?

2. Edit: Oops

3. The search function has also taken a step back. Previously when you would search through your library it would give you the results instantly. It no longer does this. Requiring an extra click or key stroke.

While these all seem like small things they do take away from what apple is trying to do.

Before I get flamed, I do want to say that I do like many of the changes made. But the changes I listed above were perfect how they were. They took something useful and then made it a tiny bit less useful. You can see how that could make someone peevish.

Feel free to share the things you love or add to my list of things you hate!
Kindakrazy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:41 AM   #2
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

Yes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Zoddino
macrumors member

You're not the only one
Zoddino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:08 AM   #4
OldRhodie
macrumors member

It's still extremely poor for cataloging classical music
OldRhodie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:10 AM   #5
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I like it better than iTunes 10. Actually, I like it better it enough it may get me to get an apple TV and switch from dlna for streaming.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:51 AM   #6
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Love it and so much faster
shenfrey is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:23 AM   #7
MCAsan
macrumors 68030

Yes

iTunes 11 is what it is.
iPad Air 2 | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:29 AM   #8
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You are certainly not the only one, but I do think you are in the minority.

I personally like it very much. I think its sleeker and a hell of a lot faster...... You can always change a few settings and make it look alot like itunes 10 but still maintain the faster less bloated feel.

As for the iTunes store, I have to admit it did look a little crowded. But I rarely ever go into iTunes on my computer, usually get any content from my iOS device so it wont really bother me.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
SandboxGeneral

I kind of like the new UI; though it's going to take a little getting used to, I think I will adjust to it just fine.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:38 AM   #10
pommie82
macrumors regular

I like itunes 11 very fast and working very well a lot better then the old version
pommie82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I'm kind of on the fence really. I like the new look, but not liking there's no album art in the lower left hand corner when I have in the sidebar showing in the songs view. I'm going to have to get used to it I guess...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Jamie-30
macrumors member

I like the new look, find the store really quick too, lot quicker than before, the only thing i find is that album art when scrolling is slightly delayed i spose thats cos i use an external hard drive for my music
Jamie-30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:01 AM   #13
G4DP
macrumors 65816

The computer based app is a vast improvement, but the store is hideous.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:14 AM   #14
mono1980
macrumors 6502

I love it, but I think it does look better on retina displays. The switch to Helvetica looks a little odd on non-retina displays.
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono1980 View Post
I love it, but I think it does look better on retina displays. The switch to Helvetica looks a little odd on non-retina displays.
Looks a little blurry to me, still I haven't got a retina display to compare it with. Other than that it seems fine to me, just enabling the side bar to make it work like 10.7. It feels much smoother to navigate around.
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Nerdy Keith
macrumors member

We might as well be using ****** Windows Media Player. It looks boring. I actually liked the Cover Flow, it gave it a more unique stylised look to it. Now it just looks like its trying to be WMP. For what reason, I do not know or care to known.
Nerdy Keith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:49 PM   #17
SomNumb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindakrazy View Post
First off I am a huge apple fan and love almost everything they do. Heck I used to work for them (great, great company to work for!). Some might say I am holding onto the past. But is this really the design change that we all needed. Yes cover flow is gone and it was useless so good riddance. But lets look at some of the cons...

1. iTunes store...the home page looks like it took every piece of content it had and then puked it onto my screen. How is this neat, simplistic and modern?

2. Edit: Oops

3. The search function has also taken a step back. Previously when you would search through your library it would give you the results instantly. It no longer does this. Requiring an extra click or key stroke.

While these all seem like small things they do take away from what apple is trying to do.

Before I get flamed, I do want to say that I do like many of the changes made. But the changes I listed above were perfect how they were. They took something useful and then made it a tiny bit less useful. You can see how that could make someone peevish.

Feel free to share the things you love or add to my list of things you hate!
Oh no you're not the only one. I fu**ing hate v11. Just installed it and had an immediate Windows 3.0 flashback (20 years ago for the youngsters). User-friendliness : vanished into thin air. Previous versions of iTunes presented a complete overview. This overview has now disappeared and we're back at a load of individual tabs. Forget about the easy drag and drop as well. iPhone/iPad/iPod now presented in a separate menu as well - integration of the i-devices with your Mac/PC is gone. In previous versions you could transfer purchased items from your i-device to iTunes through a simple right-click, can't see any possibility to do this in v11 (possibly there is one, but not very apparent, haven't found it yet). So if you're comfortable with versions upto v10 and don't wish to be parachuted back into the 80s then DO NOT install v11. I'm personally stuck with v11 as a previous "downgrade" made me lose all my playlists/apps/tones and do not wish for that to happen again.
SomNumb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Samuel Gordon
macrumors member

I don't like the new font - I believe it is Helvetica Neue. Lucida Grande was better and more legible.

And what I don't understand the most is the icons in the sidebar. So at first they desaturate all of them and now they put all the colours back?! Huh?
Samuel Gordon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomNumb View Post
Oh no you're not the only one. I fu**ing hate v11. Just installed it and had an immediate Windows 3.0 flashback (20 years ago for the youngsters). User-friendliness : vanished into thin air. Previous versions of iTunes presented a complete overview. This overview has now disappeared and we're back at a load of individual tabs. Forget about the easy drag and drop as well. iPhone/iPad/iPod now presented in a separate menu as well - integration of the i-devices with your Mac/PC is gone. In previous versions you could transfer purchased items from your i-device to iTunes through a simple right-click, can't see any possibility to do this in v11 (possibly there is one, but not very apparent, haven't found it yet). So if you're comfortable with versions upto v10 and don't wish to be parachuted back into the 80s then DO NOT install v11. I'm personally stuck with v11 as a previous "downgrade" made me lose all my playlists/apps/tones and do not wish for that to happen again.

View / Show Sidebar will pretty much get you back to the way 10.x looked (including right click on devices and transfer purchases)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:56 PM   #20
AndroidBlows
macrumors member

It's terrible.
AndroidBlows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #21
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindakrazy View Post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but 11 still provides instant and dynamically updated search results as you type in the search box in the upper right of the application window. In the store or local library.
marzer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:02 PM   #22
dw3bb10
macrumors 6502

i think it looks great!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:09 PM   #23
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

I personally love the new iTunes! I think you are in the minority on this one.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:54 PM   #24
MCAsan
macrumors 68030

Unlike Maps, I doubt iTunes 11 is going to get any senior management sacked.
iPad Air 2 | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:25 AM   #25
iphonedude2008
macrumors regular

I do not like the new mini player. You got more functionality from the old one in a smaller space.
iphonedude2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store