Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:41 AM   #51
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McHeck View Post
Seriously: With that pregnant belly on the rear side, it just looks so... 1990... Remember those large CRT monitors, trying to reach a plain display to look like a flatscreen? This reminds me so much of these and I find it to be looking "outdated", or retro, as one user posted above. Don't like it very much...
I have to admit though that I may change my opinion once I have seen one in real life.
Was thinking the same ... 8 pound lighter also means easier knocked over when hitting the table when getting up
Jibbajabba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:41 AM   #52
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbo View Post
A thin edge with a backside that looks like the back end of a bus. In fact by looking at the picture of the internals, I'm more tempted to ask just how much of the new iMac is simply empty space.
You don't have to buy it.

I think it looks ace.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:45 AM   #53
Pegamush
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foidulus View Post
Is the imac lighter? YES(by about 33% for the 27" model), this may not mean much to you, but guess what, an optical drive doesn't mean much to me. Some people move their imacs around quite a bit.

Is it quieter? That one remains to be seen, but since there is no super drive whirring up means you get rid of a potential noise source.
1)if you judge a desktop for the ease to move it around your home, then maybe you bought the wrong computer.. isn't a laptop better for you?
2) guess what, if you use a cd player, either internal or external, it's going to make a lot of noise, viceversa if you don't use it, i don't get your argument, seems written by a fanatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
Does anyone use the Super Drive? No.
Does removing the Super Drive allow the iMac to be eight pounds lighter? Yes
Did Apple add any new features? Fusion Drive
1) yes people use cd/dvd still. talk for yourself, please.
2) no, the superdrive weighs half a pound, i don't see your argument here.
3) you can make your own fusion drive on old imacs too, is just a software implementation, as long as it fits two drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dmitry View Post
So after all 2012 iMac has 1 good thing(Fusion drive), 3 useless innovations (thin, weight, DVD) and 3 things that makes it worse than previous generation(no RAM upgrade, slower HDD, higher price).
you forgot: an unserviceable sd slot. how the hell can i reach the back of the imac to stick in a sd card?? oww but i'm so glad the edges are tapered, i so much needed it.

i might add: before this you could swap the superdrive to fit another hard disk, if you didn't need the optical, you could raid two ssd, or add 1-2 tb of space with a 2.5" hdd. not anymore.
Pegamush is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:54 AM   #54
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

That things looks freakin beautiful
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:59 AM   #55
Joe HS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbajabba View Post
Was thinking the same ... 8 pound lighter also means easier knocked over when hitting the table when getting up
The stand is the same; the top shell is where the weight reduction took place, lowering the centre of gravity and making the iMac more sturdy than before..
Joe HS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:04 AM   #56
TheMacPotato
macrumors member

Loving that big plastic wedge inside. beautifully designed bit of plastic, very modern looking. So much better than having one of those old fashioned optical drives.
TheMacPotato is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:05 AM   #57
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Just thinking how silly one would look with a portable blu-ray drive sellotaped to the back of it..

Come on Apple! You've taken the only route which isn't benificial here:

Larger, loads of extra features - Yes
Same size, some extra features - Yes
Smaller, same features - Yes
Smaller, less features - No no NO!

Idiots!
Jsameds is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:16 AM   #58
HardRain
macrumors member

Nothing special.
HardRain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:24 AM   #59
designgeek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Just thinking how silly one would look with a portable blu-ray drive sellotaped to the back of it..

Come on Apple! You've taken the only route which isn't benificial here:

Larger, loads of extra features - Yes
Same size, some extra features - Yes
Smaller, same features - Yes
Smaller, less features - No no NO!

Idiots!
If you're so upset by it then perhaps you should not buy it. They can do what they want, and so far they're the only ones that are blazing a trail in any way. If you want loads of probably useless features buy a dell or something.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:26 AM   #60
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Nice looking design. But the thing that most excites me about this release is the new (and long overdue) anti-reflective display coating. For that reason, it might just be the first iMac I purchase since the iMac G4.
Agreed. The only thing that worried me was when or if my 2008 MP fails, I'd be stuck with looking in a mirror with the iMac. Now this is quite nice and when the day rolls around I can happily move on.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:31 AM   #61
Chrisg2014
macrumors regular

not as thin as I thought with the bubble at the back.
Chrisg2014 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:39 AM   #62
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ShovelHead View Post
This release is disappointing for me.

----------

How can it be? It is soldered on.
All the whinny people on this forum are a disappointment to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dmitry View Post
After release of iMac2012, I was so glad that I bought 2011 model. I thought it will be better, but I really disapointed with new one.

It weight is reduced - for what? This isn't laptop, I don't care of my iMac weight, it stands on my table all time. No improvement here.
It's thinner (ofc no one believes it's only 5mm, because if you look from behind, you'll understand what I mean) - for what? It stands on the table and it occupies the same space because of the stand. No improvement here.
DVD drive removed - nothing to say, it's really not major feature, but after removing DVD they could add normal desktop videocard, not making desktop computer thinner. So I doesn't really care about DVD.
RAM not user upgradeable. This is just bad, because Apple RAM cost much more, while it works as good as crucial, hynix whatever...
It cost more than 2011 iMac (1199 vs 1299 for low-end one). You pay more, for the same computer. Not good.
It's HDD has 5400rpm, while previous version of iMac has 7400rpm. So we got slower HDD, very bad.
Fusion drive is they only improvement I see in this iMac, but I can add SSD instead of Optical Drive in my imac2011, and with 10 terminal command make Fusion Drive myself.

So after all 2012 iMac has 1 good thing(Fusion drive), 3 useless innovations (thin, weight, DVD) and 3 things that makes it worse than previous generation(no RAM upgrade, slower HDD, higher price). Bravo Apple first computer I don't want to buy.

P.S. Sorry for my English, it's not my native.
Is you lack of English the reason you sound like a whinny, spoiled brat? But, hey, cool story bro.
Macclone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:49 AM   #63
woodbine
macrumors regular

not so disappointed

it does look a LOT easier to get inside that the previous 21.5 and the HD looks fairly accessible. It even looks like the fusion drive is a stacked pair of laptop size drives. So maybe even a DIY Fusion drive is possible. The RAM, even that could be upgraded with a bit of effort.
When first saw the design I thought Apple had tried to make it more difficult to get inside. But maybe not...
woodbine is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:49 AM   #64
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Does anyone else look at this thing and just think its an overgrown laptop? I hope the performance doesn't suffer because of this.
Chris Blount is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:01 AM   #65
valkata
macrumors member

Looks like the new iMac is really easy to open for HDD replacement. Let's just hope that it's going to be possible to put in any HDD, not just the one with special Apple firmware.
valkata is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:14 AM   #66
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
All the whinny people on this forum are a disappointment to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

----------

Is you lack of English the reason you sound like a whinny, spoiled brat? But, hey, cool story bro.
Ohh I assure you I'm not whining. The new iMac is nothing unexpected, and yes I see it now, the ram is indeed user replaceable so my concerns are met.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:18 AM   #67
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

As a retina MacBook Pro owner, I have no grounds to complain about the 'closed' nature of the new iMac's design, but I understand others' complaints with it. Apple doesn't want us buying Mac Pro's - that's quite clear. So, our choices in terms of even BASIC expandability are extremely limited. ONE iMac and the legacy MacBook Pro's are capable of having their RAM upgraded by the user. The SSD's in other models are not technically user-replaceable, though we might be able to get replacements on OWC. In a notebook, this is ALMOST acceptable. However, desktops tend to have a decent shelf life (desk life?) when given basic upgrades here and there. I kept my father's 2004/5 G5 iMac alive and kicking for seven years with a HDD and RAM upgrade. With 16GB of RAM, these iMacs may last four years, but at an unreasonable expense.

At the end of the day, this is Apple's business strategy, and many of us will continue buying their products regardless of this issue, but it's just a bit disappointing, especially when design takes a hit without added benefit. One of my biggest issues with the iPhone 3G/3GS and the iPad 1 was the tapered back to each product. It's as if the designer is saying, 'Shhh...we're hiding something here, but the consumer will never notice, because they're just a load of mindless lemmings.' We probably are.
mac1984user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:24 AM   #68
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

All ready?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:35 AM   #69
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

It's a beautiful design. Probably still not as fluent an experience as any MacPro with dual processors.

iMacs are still evolving. The possibilities of the tech now outstrip the reality; it is only so because of price. If they could do a dual processor with 1TB flash drive and have it be that price--boffo. Sadly it still has a mechanical drive and flash drives are hellishly expensive. They could probably make it a very-very thin design once they ditch the mechanical drive completely.

As it is, the iMac is a stunning piece of furniture which does a nice bit of function. It remains the upscale design of any computer on market today.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:44 AM   #70
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by designgeek View Post
If you're so upset by it then perhaps you should not buy it. They can do what they want, and so far they're the only ones that are blazing a trail in any way. If you want loads of probably useless features buy a dell or something.
I won't be buying one. Better off with an upgraded, souped up previous gen model.

I would hardly call an optical drive a useless feature. Maybe in 10 years, but not in 2012. The only useless feature here is the thin edge, which doesn't reduce height, weight, width, depth or footprint of the unit.

For example, in my opinion it would have been better off staying the same size and price, but with:

TV tuner
More space for RAM
2nd HDD slot
Blu-Ray drive
Better graphics card - in order to cope with:
Retina display
Jsameds is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:55 AM   #71
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
What kind of useless questions are these? Sure I'll have a stab at being on the opposite end then:

Does anyone use the Super Drive? No.
Does removing the Super Drive allow the iMac to be eight pounds lighter? Yes
Did Apple add any new features? Fusion Drive
Can you install more than 16GB of ram? Yes.
Does it perform better? Yes. Fusion Drive + Ivy Bridge + 1536 CUDA cores GFX + 32GB ram + less reflection on the display
Are you serious?

People will need Superdrives for a few years yet. If you think a Superdrive is what cuased the drop in weight you need to go back to school. They could easily have fitted a slim line drive in the new machine.

Fusion drive is nothing but a software addition, it is nothing related to hardware.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:00 AM   #72
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
I won't be buying one. Better off with an upgraded, souped up previous gen model.

I would hardly call an optical drive a useless feature. Maybe in 10 years, but not in 2012. The only useless feature here is the thin edge, which doesn't reduce height, weight, width, depth or footprint of the unit.

For example, in my opinion it would have been better off staying the same size and price, but with:

TV tuner
More space for RAM
2nd HDD slot
Blu-Ray drive
Retina display
That would cost $5,000. No thanks. Think about it, one hardware failure and lose a lot if you had all this in a single device..
Macclone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:01 AM   #73
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Here's a thought: if you don't like it don't buy it. I'm sure there's a Windows machine that will meet your needs.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:01 AM   #74
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:

TV tuner
More space for RAM
2nd HDD slot
Blu-Ray drive
Retina display
Which would also require:
Bigger power supply
More and bigger fans
More software development (to support BluRay)
Much higher price

I suppose Apple analyzed the market and decided their version would please more customers and generate more revenue and/or profit than your version. Maybe their analysis was right, maybe it was wrong. If they got it wrong, it just leaves a bigger opportunity in the market for someone else to offer something more pleasing to folks like you.

There's no slavery involved here. You don't have to buy what they offer, and they don't have to offer what you want.
MeFromHere is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:05 AM   #75
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

sleek and sexy.

esthetically pleasing. otherwise just get a dell if you're going to whine

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion