Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noahc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
So excited the ordering page just went live. Ordered a base 27" with 1TB Fusion Drive.

I was surprised to discover no EPP (Employee Purchase Plan) discount available; every other Mac has at least some discount with my EPP. I also have access to EDU discount so ended up still getting $100 off the iMac and $25 off the Fusion drive but typically EPP discount is slightly greater than EDU.

Anybody else have EPP discount on their order?

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
So excited the ordering page just went live. Ordered a base 27" with 1TB Fusion Drive.

I was surprised to discover no EPP (Employee Purchase Plan) discount available; every other Mac has at least some discount with my EPP. I also have access to EDU discount so ended up still getting $100 off the iMac and $25 off the Fusion drive but typically EPP discount is slightly greater than EDU.

Anybody else have EPP discount on their order?

I had the same problem. When I specked out the pricing on a Mac Mini earlier, my EPP had much higher discounts, but this was full price. So, I went with the EDU as well.

lephelps

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I'm seeing the same thing...

I'm trying to use my EPP discount and seeing the same thing...getting the discount on accessories and add-ons but not the Mac or any of it's HW options. Not happy right now as I stayed up till 3am just for this...:mad:

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for the educational discount.

Wonder if it's just a web site "oops" because the discount shows up for every other product and accessories that were available with other Macs?

Guess I'm going to bed and will try again at a more reasonable hour...very disappointing. :(

buttercup

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
I was planning on getting the high end 27" with a few upgrades.... this makes it hard to actually pull the trigger on as it is likely the difference of ~$200.

Apparently this happened when ipads first came out and were in short supply. The question is - how long will it last?

lephelps

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Give the EPP customer service number a try...

I just posted this under another discounts thread but it's worthwhile to put here too:

Based on the excellent experience I just had, I would highly suggest calling the EPP support line (1-877-EPP-MEMBER) and wait the 15 or so minutes on hold to speak to someone.

I had a great conversation with someone who checked my company's EPP site and confirmed the current lack of a corporate EPP discount on the new iMacs (he didn't know why it's not showing up) but then offered another discount he had available before giving me even slightly more than the EPP discount at the very end of the transaction.

So, I went from being utterly disappointed after staying up until 3am EST last night to the extremely happy soon-to-be-owner of a new BTO 27" iMac that should ship towards the end of December. :D

Give the call a shot...you might be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and if you're looking for the Apple/Barclays financing, they can complete the application for you during the call.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I qualify for Education Store and EPP, and found in the past that Education Store discounts are usually better. My EPP portal also did not have a discount on the new iMacs with the exception of Apple Care. I placed my order through the Education Store and saved over $300 off the standard Apple.com price.

apleifer

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I just posted this under another discounts thread but it's worthwhile to put here too:

Based on the excellent experience I just had, I would highly suggest calling the EPP support line (1-877-EPP-MEMBER) and wait the 15 or so minutes on hold to speak to someone.

I had a great conversation with someone who checked my company's EPP site and confirmed the current lack of a corporate EPP discount on the new iMacs (he didn't know why it's not showing up) but then offered another discount he had available before giving me even slightly more than the EPP discount at the very end of the transaction.

So, I went from being utterly disappointed after staying up until 3am EST last night to the extremely happy soon-to-be-owner of a new BTO 27" iMac that should ship towards the end of December. :D

Give the call a shot...you might be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and if you're looking for the Apple/Barclays financing, they can complete the application for you during the call.

What "other" discount did they offer you? I've called into the EPP store twice and have received nothing but runaround and no definitive answer on when the new iMacs will be EPP eligible. All in all, a really frustrating buying experience. :-/

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Those that got a discount was that ordering on the phone or he/she applied the discount to an order you placed using the full price?

purdueboiler87

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2005
Clearwater, FL
I was suppose to get a discount through my NAPP membership (photoshopuser.com). They have a special link we use to get to the online Apple store. Last night I didn't. I just called the number on the customized NAPP Apple store and the woman said that I should have gotten a discount. She is going to look into it and said I would get a call later today. When I confirmed that I should be getting a discount, she said YES.

apleifer

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Gov't discounts only, it seems

After some digging on my own (and three calls to the EPP store), all I could find out is that the only EPP discount Apple is offering right now is through the government/military store. (The Education one does too but that's not EPP.) Each phone rep said they have no other discounts to offer, just a vague offer to adjust the price if it changes in 14 days... if it does.

Apparently the store staff are trying to escalate to find out more as to why corporate partners aren't getting a discount on the new iMacs and when we might. They don't even know if we will, although history would seem to dictate that we will eventually... I'm supposed to get a call back. At some point.

After waiting for so long for these machines to drop, I'll probably wait a little longer to save ~$300 on a new system. I'm sure the bean counters at Apple know this, although I always liked to think of them as more than a company of bean counters. Either way, what's most annoying Apple isn't at least providing their reps with definitive information on how long we'll have to keep waiting.

lephelps

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
What "other" discount did they offer you? I've called into the EPP store twice and have received nothing but runaround and no definitive answer on when the new iMacs will be EPP eligible. All in all, a really frustrating buying experience. :-/

He said he had a 5% discount he could give me (sounded like something they could pull out and use if absolutely needed). The receipt I received via email shows each item on my list at full price and then a 6% discount as a lump sum off the total at the end.

I'm not sure what the key is (right person, right mood, right phase of the moon?) but if it helps my approach was to be very polite because I was calling to find out what was going with the corporate EPP discount and whether it was a web site glitch or something delayed that would update later. I also had a question about requirements for the government/military discount as another option (dad served in Vietnam but didn't "retire" from the military...btw, it's retirement that's needed). He actually offered me the 5% before we confirmed I couldn't use the military (or education, which I already knew) discount. He was a very pleasant person who was excited to discuss the specs and options on the new iMacs, enjoyed chatting about my current Mac (a 2002 PowerMac G4) and the upcoming holiday, and genuinely seemed to be enjoying his work. I guess I got one of the "happy to help" people.

From the other posts, it sounds like until this whole EPP discount mess is resolved or clarified that success in getting a discount and the amount of your discount depends on who you get on the phone, their mood (hopefully the previous caller didn't chew them out for something they can't change right now), and maybe how you approach them?? :confused:

----------

Those that got a discount was that ordering on the phone or he/she applied the discount to an order you placed using the full price?

Mine was an order placed on the phone with the EPP rep after he offered me the discount. I wasn't willing to take a risk and order online at full price early this morning and try to get it discounted later. :)

NoShoreGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
I ordered mine this morning...just called back got the student discount and saved $140...and no delay in shipping date!!!

bmbrboi

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
No EPP but got the EDU

I tried ordering mine this morning (2am) using EPP. Called the member number and the sales guy was just as baffled as me. Was browsing around here and saw that people were using the EDU. Completely forgot I qualified for that. Called back and after being on hold for 45 mins they credited me with the $100 discount. If you are a Government employee or Military you can get that EPP discount. Just no corporate discounts right now.

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I called them after reading this thread. Was put on hold for 30 mins or so, and then was informed that they can't give me any discount and the prices on EPP website are correct - no discounts on the new iMac's, yet.

themomopan

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah. No discounts no matter what (unless it's EDU). Tried PPA, FoundersCard, and even Apple Employee discount. No luck. Oh well.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I qualify for Education Store and EPP, and found in the past that Education Store discounts are usually better. My EPP portal also did not have a discount on the new iMacs with the exception of Apple Care. I placed my order through the Education Store and saved over $300 off the standard Apple.com price.

Same here, wife's company has EPP with Apple and my son's school gives him Edu pricing. Compared a high-end loaded 27" from both stores and it was over $300 less with Edu pricing than EPP (Canada).

SpecAU

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I went to order a fully loaded 21.5 yesterday in a phone in order and there was no discount. The salesmen was looking into it for me and was supposed to call me back. Have yet to hear from them.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I asked today and the sales rep said he doesn't know when the EPP discount will be available for the iMacs.

nick2421

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Wondering if EPP corporate discounts will start tomorrow for the iMac.
It will be 1 week since Apple started accepting orders.

Would like to pull the trigger on a 27" but thinking I could save over $200 when the discount kicks in.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I got the info that Apple won't introduce the discount until they can meet the demand. My guess is, it won't be before January.

apleifer

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I went to order a fully loaded 21.5 yesterday in a phone in order and there was no discount. The salesmen was looking into it for me and was supposed to call me back. Have yet to hear from them.

Yeah, I asked when it would be available last Friday and was told by two reps I'd hear back... and still haven't. I'm probably just going to wait until early January (when the 27" has actually launched and lead times will hopefully be shorter) and check again. At this point if I ordered today I wouldn't get it until then anyway. I guess after waiting months for this to drop another few weeks won't make as much of a difference--well at least not a $200 difference.

SpecAU

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
When I called up the apple rep said they generally don't give EPP discounts in back ordered products.

I ende up getting it with my dads education discount

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.