Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Any preferences on which ram to buy?

My 27" should be arriving in a few weeks and I'd like to add another 8gb of ram, 1600mhz DDR3 SDRAM.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
Any preferences on which ram to buy?

My 27" should be arriving in a few weeks and I'd like to add another 8gb of ram, 1600mhz DDR3 SDRAM.

Crucial and OWC seem to be the top two choices. Newegg.com was also running a deal on G.Skill which is suppose to be good too.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I've used DataMemorySystems for the last decade or so. They are a little more expensive, but have top notch support. When Apple changed some specs with a firmware update on my Pismo, that disabled the RAM, DMS paid shipping to send in my RAM and flash the setting on the RAM to conform with Apple's specs. Never had a problem with it. A friend got the wrong item, and it was fixed very quickly. I've ordered or referred people to them at least a dozen times.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
a firmware update on my Pismo, that disabled the RAM

I appreciate :apple:'s attention to detail, alas it's the nuances that can screw up any user upgrade.
Any word on what exact memory :apple: is using for the 32GB configuration? Would rather spend a few bucks more and get the same product than save a few and spend the difference suffering from some obscure mis-fit.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I appreciate :apple:'s attention to detail, alas it's the nuances that can screw up any user upgrade.
Any word on what exact memory :apple: is using for the 32GB configuration? Would rather spend a few bucks more and get the same product than save a few and spend the difference suffering from some obscure mis-fit.

I would wait for iFixit's post before ordering RAM. A day or two delay between getting the computer and the Ram isn't going to kill anyone.

In the case of my Pismo, Apple made the specs more stringent, for the release of OSX 10.0 Beta, and while the RAM I bought was perfectly capable of the new specs, it wasn't set that way when it was first purchased. That is what DMS had to flash. Probably took five minutes from unpacking to repacking to ship back. I doubt you'd get that kind of service from some of the other places. And NO, this is not a paid endorsement, simply a happy many time repeat customer.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It should be 12800 204 pin 1600mhz sticks like used in the 2012 MBP I think.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
I've just taken a gamble and ordered 32gb from Crucial so I can get the ram in before I even turn the machine on (even though I haven't ordered the iMac yet!) so I hope it works!

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Did that with my Pismo back in 2000. Good Luck!

Worst case scenario, I'll find out from others on here that it doesn't work and I can just return it to them - especially as by the time I order the machine it won't arrive until the New Year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.