Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Do I need to buy AppleCare with iMac or can I wait?

So I just ordered a BTO iMac online. Do I need to buy AppleCare now? Can I wait for a few months?

I know with the iPhones you need to buy AppleCare with the phones but does that apply to the iMacs?
Chris Blount is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:29 AM   #2
DocMultimedia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
So I just ordered a BTO iMac online. Do I need to buy AppleCare now? Can I wait for a few months?

I know with the iPhones you need to buy AppleCare with the phones but does that apply to the iMacs?
You can buy right at the end of the first year (for the US).
DocMultimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMultimedia View Post
You can buy right at the end of the first year (for the US).
Same in UK. I ordered mine with the iMac this morning as well though else I would probably forget!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:42 AM   #4
bbydon
macrumors 6502a

With in a year. Also, La Computer Company has good deals on apple care in the US.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:44 AM   #5
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

but when you order it - it still goes off of the purchase date right?

so is the only reason to wait..in case you decide you don't want it
bgsnmky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
  • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

I'm holding off for a while on Applecare. It will help ease the sticker shock of $3400 I just dropped. Granted not by much but it helps.
Razorhog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:39 PM   #8
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
I'm holding off for a while on Applecare. It will help ease the sticker shock of $3400 I just dropped. Granted not by much but it helps.
I dropped about 2500 and am still holding off even at that quite a bit of doe. I don't mind spending the money as long as there aren't issues like yellow screens or whatever awful backlight bleed.

*crosses fingers*
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

You have a year. Many places discount it, but buy from reputable store. There is a fraud ring based in China (shockers!) that printed phony AC packages and sells on eBay at "unbelievable" prices.

Alternatively, check your credit card features. It might double your warranty at no extra charge. Statistically, if something doesn't break in the first two years it's not going to break in the 3rd either.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:08 PM   #10
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
You have a year. Many places discount it, but buy from reputable store. There is a fraud ring based in China (shockers!) that printed phony AC packages and sells on eBay at "unbelievable" prices.

Alternatively, check your credit card features. It might double your warranty at no extra charge. Statistically, if something doesn't break in the first two years it's not going to break in the 3rd either.
Do you happen to know if MasterCard has a policy likes this, double year warranty? I guess I'll have to ring them up.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Yeah, I used my AMEX card but still would like to use AppleCare if I can find a good price from a reputable dealer (not E-Bay). Seems easier to take the iMac to the Apple store.

With the educational discount, AppleCare is only $119 for the iMacs.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Yeah, I used my AMEX card but still would like to use AppleCare if I can find a good price from a reputable dealer (not E-Bay). Seems easier to take the iMac to the Apple store.

With the educational discount, AppleCare is only $119 for the iMacs.
You can take your Mac to the Apple Store w/ Amex's program. Just did that over the summer w/ my MBP. My SD card slot was wonky so called up Amex. They gave me the choice of getting the repair done my self or them shipping a box and having their provider do it. I opted to do it myself. Here's how it went:

Genius looked at my MBP and said it needed a new logic board. She printed out the estimate and I faxed it to AMEX. About 4 days later AMEX approved it and credited my account even before the repair was made.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Do you happen to know if MasterCard has a policy likes this, double year warranty? I guess I'll have to ring them up.
Every card has different features so you'd need to call your issuing card co. to find out.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You can take your Mac to the Apple Store w/ Amex's program. Just did that over the summer w/ my MBP. My SD card slot was wonky so called up Amex. They gave me the choice of getting the repair done my self or them shipping a box and having their provider do it. I opted to do it myself. Here's how it went:

Genius looked at my MBP and said it needed a new logic board. She printed out the estimate and I faxed it to AMEX. About 4 days later AMEX approved it and credited my account even before the repair was made.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:26 PM   #14
dearlaserworks
macrumors regular

$122 free shipping, though I'll wait a few months before ordering.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._for_iMac.html
dearlaserworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Wakeywarrior
macrumors member

Don't waste your money if you are in the UK

It's called the Sale of Goods Act, the goods must last for a reasonable amount of time. A 1 year warranty is a total misnomer. A 1500 computer should last 5 years at least. If it breaks and Apple refuse to repair or replace it, issue small claims proceedings quoting SOGA. They would pay you/ sort it immediately. Don't pay for this unless you have more money than sense!
Wakeywarrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:49 PM   #16
DISGUSTED
macrumors newbie

Apple protection plan

I bought the Apple Protection Plan with my 27inch IMAC over 2 years ago. Unlike many other customers, I have found that Apple does not stand by their products. Even though I made numerous complaints that my Mac was not working properly they denied this; I even had a technician ( from Apple PP) come out and check it and say it was fine. I have been shunted from one tech to another and they all give me conflicting advice and despite numerous phone calls and complaints they refused to admit that the computer was malfunctioning. The mouse was eventually replaced after I took it to an Apple store and the Genuises said they had never seen a mouse act like that before. Due to poor technical advice and lack of follow up of my complaints and concerns I have lost every photo on the computer as well as every photo on the external back-up system. I was following all their instructions and kept telling them I was concerned but they insisted it was working and would not follow-up. After taking everything to an Apple store they agreed that the software was corrupted and so I had lost ALL my data. PLEASE BUYER BEWARE OF APPLE PRODUCTS.
DISGUSTED is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:32 PM   #17
digitalfailure
macrumors regular

I opted for the auto enroll on Apple care because I just know I'll forget all about it after I start to use it.
digitalfailure is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac