Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:27 AM   #1
sic139
macrumors newbie

Verizon iPhone 5 data & talk at the same time

Hi,

The verizon iPhone 5 can't do data and talk and the same time. Does this restriction apply only to CDMA networks?

Or is data and talk also not possible with the verizon iPhone 5 on GSM / LTE networks (in europe / t-mobile US)?
sic139 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Yes it has to do with CDMA network. Not sure if anyone that is using the Verizon unlocked model on gsm network and has data and talk at same time.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Yes it has to do with CDMA network. Not sure if anyone that is using the Verizon unlocked model on gsm network and has data and talk at same time.
Actually it's because the iPhone 5 uses the same antenna for CDMA and LTE thus only allowing for one at a time. All other Verizon LTE phones allow voice and data at the same time. Some even support SVDO allowing voice and data over 3G.
Diseal3 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4
sic139
macrumors newbie

Actually I won't be using it on a CDMA network at all. So I would like to know if the CDMA version allows data and talk at the same time on a GSM network?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic139 View Post
Actually I won't be using it on a CDMA network at all. So I would like to know if the CDMA version allows data and talk at the same time on a GSM network?
Yes if you are on a GSM network it will work.
Diseal3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 AM   #6
tasset
macrumors 6502

I frequently talk and surf simultaneously on my Verizon iPhone 5. You just have to forego the telcos' antiquated voice services and use one of these apps:
GV Phone
TextPlus
etc

All have quite good voice quality over wifi or LTE.
tasset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
sic139
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseal3 View Post
That's great!! That was a huge drawback for me.
good to know, especially since the unlocked iPhone 5 is pretty much useless on european LTE so the verizon is the most international one to buy...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasset View Post
I frequently talk and surf simultaneously on my Verizon iPhone 5. You just have to forego the telcos' antiquated voice services and use one of these apps:
GV Phone
TextPlus
etc

All have quite good voice quality over wifi or LTE.
No it's more that I want to be able to check email or other data depending services while on a voice call.
sic139 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:32 AM   #8
tasset
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic139 View Post

No it's more that I want to be able to check email or other data depending services while on a voice call.
Not sure I follow you, unless you are saying you want to be able to press Apple's preloaded cute button for voice calls rather than install another. You still talk to people all the same, except the other apps let you put voice in the background and check email etc.
As other posters say though, if you are on a gsm network with 3G yes Apple's voice app allows simultaneous use too.
tasset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
sic139
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasset View Post
Not sure I follow you, unless you are saying you want to be able to press Apple's preloaded cute button for voice calls rather than install another. You still talk to people all the same, except the other apps let you put voice in the background and check email etc.
As other posters say though, if you are on a gsm network with 3G yes Apple's voice app allows simultaneous use too.
Yes, that's not so weird is it? No fancy apps like skype or iGVoice or whatever. When somebody calls me, like a plain old regular call, I want to use data too at the same time (on a GSM network)...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:47 AM   #10
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseal3 View Post
So the LTE transceiver in a VZW iPhone 5 can use a GSM/GPRS/EDGE network? I didn't realize that it's that backward-compatible. I assumed that when LTE isn't available, it drops to CDMA. Is that not the case?
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:08 PM   #11
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
So the LTE transceiver in a VZW iPhone 5 can use a GSM/GPRS/EDGE network? I didn't realize that it's that backward-compatible. I assumed that when LTE isn't available, it drops to CDMA. Is that not the case?
No, it uses Verizon's network in the us so it can't bounce to GSM it's carrier locked but its a world phone so overseas it can bounce to CDMA or GSM etc
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:13 PM   #12
sic139
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
No, it uses Verizon's network in the us so it can't bounce to GSM it's carrier locked but its a world phone so overseas it can bounce to CDMA or GSM etc
A1429 it is I guess

Last edited by sic139; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

The Verizon iPhone 5 is fully unlocked and will work with ANY GSM sim card as part of the agreement they have with the FCC for use of 700 mhz band for LTE. LTE working overseas is a different story, but the phone will work with carrier HSPA+ networks.
Diseal3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Smileyboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy
I'm hoping that the 5S will do data and talk at the same time on VZW. I'll upgrade if it does....

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone