Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
When I was first learning how to play, I only knew of three brands of acoustics on the market which were the overpriced and hard to find Martin, mid-level Gibson, and affordable Takamine. Today, there are so many great guitars available to the new player. What floats your boat?

(As for the "other" category it could be anything: ukelele, Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster, Gretsch, 7/8/12 string guitar, Mosrite, Gibson Melody Maker, Epiphone Firebird, Schechter Corsair hollowbody, Yamaha Pacifica, Godin acoustic-electric, Breedlove, double necked guitar, Ibanez Artcore/Artstar, Silvertone, Danelectro, Charvel or Jackson Surfcaster, Paul Reed Smith, Rickenbacker, etc.) Also, put Epiphone LP/SG with Gibson and Squier strat/tele with Fender.

Over many years, I started with a Takamine D-18 style copy, moved onto Gibson and Ovation, and finally got that Martin. They were all really pretty much the same for the most part but the sound was only as good as how good or bad I was. :)

As for electrics, I have had all on the list but these days I use the affordable, but good Ibanez AS-73 hollowbody and mid-level ESP/LTD Viper 301 solidbody with aftermarket Bigsby tremolo of which both would be considered in the "other" category of guitars. My all time favorite guitar I have ever owned was an old, beat to heck Fender Telecaster. I currently don't have an acoustic, but if I did, I would sell one electric and get something like a Taylor Big Baby or Takamine solid spruce top cutaway steel string with EQ.

Attachments

• espguitar.jpg
    espguitar.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 476
  • AS73TCR_Body.jpg
    AS73TCR_Body.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:

spykthomas

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Les Paul all the way. The tone suits what I play best.

I love the shape of the Les Paul, but for some reason really don't like the SG... maybe I'm just weird.

In terms of pure shape, I love the Explorer.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When I went to purchase my first guitar above starter level, I could not make up my mind if I wanted Fender or Gibson, so I went with PRS...happy with it. :)

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
When I went to purchase my first guitar above starter level, I could not make up my mind if I wanted Fender or Gibson, so I went with PRS...happy with it. :)

When I first tried a PRS, I didn't like the squarish neck joint and it bothered me on higher note access. But where the Fender Stratocaster lacked sustain but had a great two horn body balance with strap, and the Les Paul suffered from muddy note separation at certain settings but had that legendary sustain, the PRS had that great two horn body balance that made a legend out of the Stratocaster AND the great sustain of the Les Paul by sporting two really good humbuckers which PRS upped in gain but somehow kept clearer in note separation.

In later years when I started focusing more on composition more than soloing, I didn't feel as much a need to shred on the higher frets as much so the PRS neck joint didn't bother me at all. If PRS made a neck joint with more access and no sharp edges (see Aria Les Paul copy example), they may win over those who don't like the current square neck joint. For many years a lot of makers tried to fuse the strengths of the Stratocaster and Les Paul into one guitar but with no success until PRS got it right. The PRS is one heck of a sexy guitar (and the girl it comes with ain't so bad, either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0lkaqQBjg0 ).

Attachments

• prs_neck_joint___final.jpg
    prs_neck_joint___final.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,626
  • 318695d1353879074-aria-pro-ii-cs-model-identifier-aria-back.jpg
    318695d1353879074-aria-pro-ii-cs-model-identifier-aria-back.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 565
  • Keha-Orianthi-On-American-Idol.gif
    Keha-Orianthi-On-American-Idol.gif
    91.8 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Ovation all the way for acoustic. they don't have a super acoustic sound like a martin or whatever, but they are built like tanks. destroyed i don't even remember how many acoustic/electrics or the last 20 years worth of gigs, got an ovation, and have had the same guitar now for 8+ years. amazing!

have a strat, but mostly due to my SRV obsession. if i buy another, it would be a PRS for sure. amazing sound, build quality.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
if i buy another, it would be a PRS for sure. amazing sound, build quality.

Nice voicing for sure, with velvety soft frets, twin humbuckers, and a overall sleek build!:eek: OK, I gotta stop.

Attachments

• Orianthi.jpg
    Orianthi.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 618

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
I have been a fan of the Les Paul ever since I learned how to play. I love the tone, the sustain, and the instrument itself. Lots of my guitarist idols also used Les Pauls during their careers as well

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm on the fence here, as there are 4 guitars that are my go-to ones each and every time, with my choice at that time being feel.

My first is the used Jackson PC1 I picked up for $899. Seeing that it was 1/4th the MSRP, it was a steal. Phil was the first guitarist I ever saw play, and from there I was hooked.

Second, also used, is my Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strat. Say what you want about scalloped frets, but they really do help with bends and vibrato, and is not hard at all to keep in tune. If you can't keep it in tune, you're pressing down on the fretboard too hard. Anyway, this is also my go-to guitar for rainy day music, when you feel like playing, but don't feel like playing anything heavy or shredding your arse off.

Third: my first real guitar: Ibanez RG560 Laser Blue. They have the 25th anniversary edition out, which looks exactly like the one I have that I picked up in 1991. The only difference between it and the original is that the pickup switch on the original is 3-way, while the 25th edition is 5-way. I may pick this one up just because!

finally, my ESP/LTD George Lynch M1 Tiger. After Phil Collen, my playing went harder, and I found the guy that influenced my playing the most. I couldn't afford any of his gear in the 90s, and though he started his own line, Mr. Scary Guitars alongside ESP, it was his first set that was the best, starting with the Tiger. I preferred the original over the Sunset.

As far as acoustics go, I'd say Ovations, followed by nylon-string guitars. You get a different sound and tone altogether from nylon-stringed guitars. They're a lot warmer and woodsy compared to the brass of nickel/steel strings. I've taken a liking to them thanks to Ottmar Liebert and Rodrigo y Gabriela. As a cloudy or rainy day changes one's mood, so goes the playing.

So for me, it's a tossup on how I feel and what feels best.

BL.

2803050821_frt_wlg_001.jpg

0107112841_frt_wlg_001.jpg

RG3XXVLB.gif

GL-M-1-Tiger.png

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
My favorite acoustic guitar that I've used is a Squier. I own one and it's great for getting a nice, clean sound, nicer than a lot of more expensive guitars I've used. (I don't really use distortion at all)

Mine is a really nice-looking, red one with a rosewood fingerboard. I'll post pictures of it later. I kind of wish I bought it in blue, those look really nice :).

Attachments

• IMG-20121130-00372.jpg
    IMG-20121130-00372.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I have 3 guitars 1 about to be delivered next month.

PRS SE Standard 24
jackson js30rr
and in Jan I will have a Jackson DK2t Trans Black

My favorite guitar is the PRS I love the way it sounds and how easily I can play it.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I suppose I'll always have a soft spot for a Gibson Les Paul. The design, the sound...oh man. I don't actually own one though, as a complete rookie I'm still plucking away on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I'd have to be A LOT better before I considered actually getting one.

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
GA
I've got a total of about 9 guitars, and that's including acoustic, electric, and bass guitars. I have to say that my favorite is my '79 Fender Telecaster Thinline. I love the semi-hollow body, although you've gotta watch out for feedback because of it.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Being a bassist, I prefer Fender basses these days, mostly the Jazz. Back in the 70's my main bass was a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001. A great bass, but very limited sound wise

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
SJ-200 is amazing, as is also the SJ-100. Another great jumbo with that big tone is the great Martin J-40M.

The Martin is comparable to the SJ-200? I'll have to check that out. I really like the idea of having an Indian Rosewood guitar. I don't like a lot of jangle in my jingle if you get my drift. Rosewood is said to provide a nice deep tone. While I can tell a slight difference between that and say a spruce top, I admit it is not exactly blaring. I really love the Gibson vintage, it's probably the one I've lusted after for the longest. For now, I have an Ibanez a/e, which is not at all terrible.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
The Martin is comparable to the SJ-200? I'll have to check that out. I really like the idea of having an Indian Rosewood guitar. I don't like a lot of jangle in my jingle if you get my drift. Rosewood is said to provide a nice deep tone. While I can tell a slight difference between that and say a spruce top, I admit it is not exactly blaring. I really love the Gibson vintage, it's probably the one I've lusted after for the longest. For now, I have an Ibanez a/e, which is not at all terrible.

For just playing around the house, I love any guitar with a mahogany top, back and sides. The tone is so warm. I had an old Martin 00-17 parlor guitar I loved. If you have a spruce top, as on a 00-18, then that adds some high end clarity found from the spruce. When added with a rosewood back and sides on yet a higher end model, then there's more projection so it's great for small venues to carry the tone further into an audience. But if you like a nice treble to cut through then maple back and sides is also great, even a maple top, too.

Then you get bigger bodies like a dreadnaught which is perfect for increased volume and great balance on treble, mids, and low end which has proven most popular with mahogany sides and back being warmer and rosewood projecting more. On rosewood, some say Brazilian rosewood sounds better than Indian rosewood but I've noticed more difference in appearance than anything else.

And finally the really large bodied guitars with most pronounced low end like the J-40M and even more the SJ-100 and 200s just have so much sound. The high end doesn't cut through on lead guitar lines as on a smaller guitar like the 00/000/dreadaughts but for strumming and singing I can't think of a better instrument. I haven't actually tried the Epiphone J-200 but it has a very nice price. On a mid-priced level, some nice jumbos made by Lowden are pretty good. Takamine anniversary models are also really good in the sub-$2500 dollar range. Of course, on the ultra high end, beyond Gibson and Martin, are the SGCC dreadnaughts and jumbos.

http://www.mapleleafmusic.com/guitar-acoustic/vintage-jumbo

I still love the idea of affordable and good like the Epiphones, some of the more affordable Ibanezes, and the ESP/LTD acoustics.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...99806-i1150088.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

With some serious saving for my budget and for not being all that serious about steel string acoustics, I could still picture this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ampaign=none&gclid=CKT-7tLcgbQCFSXZQgodgRQAJA

Anyway, I should have also put Taylor in the poll options. If I get an acoustic again, it would either be a Taylor Big Baby or similarly priced Takamine. I do like Ovation, too. It seems like the polls here put the common strat and tele head to head with the equally common Gibson/Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs. While I know that strat is probably the most versatile piece of wood and metal called an electric guitar and offers a value second to none, I do love the tele and then a Gibson hollowbody for feel as new amps with DSP technology can pretty much dial in strat like tones from any signal. Though I never have the money, a carbon fiber and balsa wood, sub five pound Parkey Fly seems to be the best of both words, acoustic and electric in sounds generated from just one instrument.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...src=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CJ6vuMnthrQCFal_QgodvykANw

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Other poll options

After looking at reviews and blogs about guitars, I apologize for leaving Taylor out. With moderate price offerings like the Baby and Big Baby that I lust after, they probably have sales much bigger than I had originally thought.

Anyway, something like this may have captured the market more accurately:

Acoustics (steel string or nylon):

Martin
Gibson
Takamine
Ovation
Taylor
Yamaha
Guild
ukelele, or other

Electrics:

Fender/Squier Telecaster or Stratocaster
other Fender/Squier
Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul or SG
other Gibson/Epiphone
Gretsch
Rickenbacker
Danelectro
Yamaha
Ibanez
G & L
PRS
hollowbody or semi-hollowbody (any brand)
ESP, Jackson, Charvel, or Schechter (or other brand) shredder guitar
electric or acoustic bass guitar
other, specify

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
This guitar, of course, doesn't exactly fit the criteria of a traditional electric guitar from what I have known for a long time, but I tried it out at a nearby store and found it endlessly fascinating. I have always loved Schechter but in many guitars used live or in recording, never pulled the trigger on that albeit great brand.

It has a sleek satin finished neck, amazing action for so much string tension and streets for about $400 dollars which is hard to beat. But like any other guitar, fancier pickups, electronics, and appointments lets such an instrument have higher models costing anywhere from a little bit more to a ton of money from both that brand and many other makers.

Also a bassier concept on acoustics has been done by Taylor, too tuning B to B on this example in below link:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYBAR8GS

Attachments

• dga-f89f0989abe72adfc01c27f85ba0187f.jpg
    dga-f89f0989abe72adfc01c27f85ba0187f.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm surprised people haven't mentioned one of the best guitars around.

The Guild F-Hole.

3827000801_frt_wmd_001.png

Robert Hunter ( songwriter for Grateful Dead ) plays a nice Gibson F-Hole

Jerry Garcia's custom made Wolf sold for $700,000

Attachments

• hunter8302206.jpg
    hunter8302206.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
This guitar, of course, doesn't exactly fit the criteria of a traditional electric guitar from what I have known for a long time, but I tried it out at a nearby store and found it endlessly fascinating. I have always loved Schechter but in many guitars used live or in recording, never pulled the trigger on that albeit great brand.

It has a sleek satin finished neck, amazing action for so much string tension and streets for about $400 dollars which is hard to beat. But like any other guitar, fancier pickups, electronics, and appointments lets such an instrument have higher models costing anywhere from a little bit more to a ton of money from both that brand and many other makers.

Also a bassier concept on acoustics has been done by Taylor, too tuning B to B on this example in below link:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYBAR8GS

I do love the Schechter guitars the Hellraiser and Omen series are so nice.

I'm tempted to get a EPS Eclipse LOOK HERE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.