Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
2012 User replaceable hard drive?

Is it just me or does it look like there are just 4 screws and a connector holding the hard drive in? This means it should be very easy to upgrade to an ssd and not have to waste money on a fusion or 800 gig ssd.

I am really hoping this is the case since I just ordered the base 7200.
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Is it just me or does it look like there are just 4 screws and a connector holding the hard drive in? This means it should be very easy to upgrade to an ssd and not have to waste money on a fusion or 800 gig ssd.

I am really hoping this is the case since I just ordered the base 7200.
Yes it looks like that, but let's wait for some real teardown. Someone over at Ars Technica actually commented that the screen is glued in...so we really have to wait to actually see how easy it is to open up the new iMacs!
__________________
iPhone 5S Gold 64 GB -- 13" retina MacBook Pro
Galatian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Is it just me or does it look like there are just 4 screws and a connector holding the hard drive in? This means it should be very easy to upgrade to an ssd and not have to waste money on a fusion or 800 gig ssd.

I am really hoping this is the case since I just ordered the base 7200.
And suction cups.

Also, the RAM in the 21" is replaceable, better install your own, much cheaper.
It seems this iMac is easier to open than the 2011 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Yes it looks like that, but let's wait for some real teardown. Someone over at Ars Technica actually commented that the screen is glued in...so we really have to wait to actually see how easy it is to open up the new iMacs!
In an earlier article today on MR there was this link to a Japanese site with photo's and they showed suction cups.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
azentropy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
In an earlier article today on MR there was this link to a Japanese site with photo's and they showed suction cups.
Yes, but the skipped quite a few steps between pictures of showing the suction cups and the display off. What are those steps? Is it as simple as disconnecting a few wires, or is it that plus having to pry off glue in order to remove it completely?

Last edited by azentropy; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Yes, but the skipped quite a few steps between pictures of showing the suction cups and the display off. What are those steps? Is it as simple as disconnecting a few wires, or is it that plus having to pry off glue in order to remove it complete?
My point exactly. There article doesn't mention anything. The guy who posted on Ars Technica said he found this french guy from an apple centric side and found that the screen was glued in.

Still I guess this is all rumors. Let's all just wait for the iFixit teardown!
__________________
iPhone 5S Gold 64 GB -- 13" retina MacBook Pro
Galatian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Yes, but the skipped quite a few steps between pictures of showing the suction cups and the display off. What are those steps? Is it as simple as disconnecting a few wires, or is it that plus having to pry off glue in order to remove it complete?
You could be right, probably soon for ifixit to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
My point exactly. There article doesn't mention anything. The guy who posted on Ars Technica said he found this french guy from an apple centric side and found that the screen was glued in.

Still I guess this is all rumors. Let's all just wait for the iFixit teardown!

That's French and even using google translate it doesn't make much sense to me.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:21 PM   #7
azentropy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
You could be right, probably soon for ifixit to find out.
Looking at the pictures more closely, it sure looks like there is a seal that is/was covered in glue. You can see it frayed in this picture. I bet they had to pull the top with suction cups and then use a puddy knife to separate the screen from the frame.

Hopefully iFitit posts a teardown today.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:23 PM   #8
intz2nu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Even if the screen is glued on wouldn't a small bit of heat from a heat gun allow someone to pry open the screen the same way as with previous models, only you would need to apply a little bit of heat prior to doing so? I am almost certain that there wouldn't be a problem to pry open the screen given some heat as almost anything or all things glued to metal is easily able to be pried apart when metal is at a certain temperture. Same can be said with things sometimes prying apart on its own when bonded to metal when metal starts to become colder. Normally a lot of times somethings can't adhere to metal because of how cold it can become.

This being said I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what kind of glue they used to bond the screen but I'm sure when the elements are brought to the right tempertures that it could easily pry apart from each other.
intz2nu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:29 PM   #9
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Looking at the pictures more closely, it sure looks like there is a seal that is/was covered in glue. You can see it frayed in this picture. I bet they had to pull the top with suction cups and then use a puddy knife to separate the screen from the frame.

Hopefully iFitit posts a teardown today.
I also saw that, maybe Apple invented a new magnetic non ferro system.

Edit, what about glue similar to stickies(you know the 3M ones) but stronger.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:06 PM   #10
azentropy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by intz2nu View Post

This being said I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what kind of glue they used to bond the screen but I'm sure when the elements are brought to the right tempertures that it could easily pry apart from each other.
Apart is the easy part, getting it back together nicely is the harder part!
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schiller said the Flash is user replaceable Cubemmal Mac Pro 33 Dec 9, 2013 11:40 AM
PCI-e SSD user replaceable? whiskey MacBook Pro 5 Oct 27, 2013 08:55 AM
Anyone know what's user-replaceable on new iMac's? YsoSerious iMac 1 Nov 30, 2012 10:29 AM
21" iMac RAM is user replaceable djrod iMac 0 Oct 24, 2012 05:19 AM
2012 Macbook Air battery user replaceable? stchman MacBook Air 29 Jul 25, 2012 05:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC