Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

I'm having an issue with "Contacts"

I bought my mom and iPhone 4 yesterday, so she also got a new phone number. I deleted the her old contact information and created a new one. However, the old one still shows up when I want to send her a text, as well as the new one. Her info is correct in the Contacts app. Also, when she calls or texts me, it displays her whole phone number instead of "Mom".
I have tried everything I could think of to fix this, but to no avail.
Eckscaliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckscaliber View Post
I bought my mom and iPhone 4 yesterday, so she also got a new phone number. I deleted the her old contact information and created a new one. However, the old one still shows up when I want to send her a text, as well as the new one. Her info is correct in the Contacts app. Also, when she calls or texts me, it displays her whole phone number instead of "Mom".
I have tried everything I could think of to fix this, but to no avail.
Do you have any non-local accounts on your phone with contacts enabled (e.g. Gmail)? It may be possible that you deleted her old contact info from your phone locally and that whatever other accounts you have are pushing it back to your phone. But I'm just speculating here...

If you can provide more info, such as how you deleted her old contact info, where & when the other one is still showing, where else her old contact info is stored that might be causing this, etc., then maybe I or someone else can help you further.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

I first deleted her original contact info so I would avoid possible confusion. I then created a new contact for her.
When I go to send a text, I simply type an "M" in the adress area, and that displays all my contacts starting with the letter "M". It shows her old phone number and emal first, and the new phone number is at the bottom of the list. I don't have my contacts saved, or synced anywhere else. Just on my phone.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

It seems many people are experiencing the same issue. The only fix is to restore the phone as NEW. I guess I'll just deal with it because I do not want to do that. Thanks for your help though.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:48 PM   #5
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckscaliber View Post
I first deleted her original contact info so I would avoid possible confusion. I then created a new contact for her.
When I go to send a text, I simply type an "M" in the adress area, and that displays all my contacts starting with the letter "M". It shows her old phone number and emal first, and the new phone number is at the bottom of the list. I don't have my contacts saved, or synced anywhere else. Just on my phone.
Okay, gotcha. I don't know if this will work but, assuming your phone is running iOS 6, there is a way to delete previously used email addresses, etc. from appearing in auto-complete but it doesn't look like you can do it from the Messages app (have to go through Mail app):
  1. Open the Mail app
  2. Tap the button in the bottom right to open a new compose window
  3. Type in the letter 'M' (a right facing "expand" arrow should appear next to the old info)
  4. Tap the arrow on the right side of unwanted info
  5. Tap the big red "Remove From Recents" button
That should do it. Also, I'm pretty sure that right facing arrow doesn't appear if the contact info is in your address book so if you don't see it next to the info you believe you deleted, you might have to dig a little further to see where it might be saved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ios6removeautofill.png
Views:	4
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	380729  
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Okay, gotcha. I don't know if this will work but, assuming your phone is running iOS 6, there is a way to delete previously used email addresses, etc. from appearing in auto-complete but it doesn't look like you can do it from the Messages app (have to go through Mail app):
  1. Open the Mail app
  2. Tap the button in the bottom right to open a new compose window
  3. Type in the letter 'M' (a right facing "expand" arrow should appear next to the old info)
  4. Tap the arrow on the right side of unwanted info
  5. Tap the big red "Remove From Recents" button
That should do it. Also, I'm pretty sure that right facing arrow doesn't appear if the contact info is in your address book so if you don't see it next to the info you believe you deleted, you might have to dig a little further to see where it might be saved.
I actaully never sent an email to my Mom, so her info didn't appear. However, I am very glad you showed me how to do this. I have many email address suggestions that I don't want to see, and never use. I can now finally get rid of them. Thank you.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone