Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Business Ideas

From yesterday and today, I thought of two potential business ideas and would like some opinions. Didn't know where else to put it so looks like it's going in this section. One directly involves Apple, one has nothing to do with Apple. Here it goes.
#1: A delivery service. This is similar to the delivery service of most pizza places, like Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc. It's for the places that don't have a delivery service. I, or an employee under me, would pick up the food, deliver it to the customer, and there would be a surcharge, like a convenience fee. Haven't figured out pricing yet.
#2: A CD player. Ever want to listen to music that wasn't on your iDevice and didn't want to purchase it on iTunes but you had a CD in the car with you or where-ever? I thought of this 10 minutes ago - it would be a CD player, connected to a Lightning cable or 30 pin standard cable. Once plugged in, you could listen to the music, or even download it directly, onto the iDevice.
So, what do you guys think? Any opinions are appreciated.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
leenak
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
For #1, that exists in many areas. I know my area has one that works with something like 50 restaurants in your area, provides you the menus and you order from them. They pick up the food and deliver it to you. So you aren't working with the restaurant but rather working with the delivery service.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
For #1, that exists in many areas. I know my area has one that works with something like 50 restaurants in your area, provides you the menus and you order from them. They pick up the food and deliver it to you. So you aren't working with the restaurant but rather working with the delivery service.
Right. Do you know if it [seems] successful in your area?

Last edited by Squilly; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
leenak
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Right. Do you know if it [seems] successful in your area?
My company uses them extensively and they have been in business for quite a few years. I don't know how specifically on how profitable they are.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Mousse
macrumors 65816
 
Mousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Mended Drum, Ankh-Morpork
How would #2 differ from using a computer to download a song onto your iDevice? Last I checked, iTunes was required to sync stuff onto an iToy; no side loading allowed.
__________________
D'oh! (_8(|)
Mousse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:10 PM   #6
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
#1 is over saturated with razor thin margins

#2 won't sell or work well

sorry bud
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:36 PM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
...
#1: A delivery service. This is similar to the delivery service of most pizza places, like Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc. It's for the places that don't have a delivery service. I, or an employee under me, would pick up the food, deliver it to the customer, and there would be a surcharge, like a convenience fee. Haven't figured out pricing yet....

Any opinions are appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
#1 is over saturated with razor thin margins
...

sorry bud
For #1 - Look around in your area to make sure the service doesn't already exist. This is an established idea, which means you may have some interesting option.

1) Buy a franchise. It is very likely that someone is selling franchises for this kind of delivery service. The profits are not as high, perhaps, because you are sharing them with head office - but they have also done all the work figuring out how to make it work. The pricing, the advertising, etc. So... much easier to set up.

2) Set up your own service. Because it's already been done (else where) you can get information on how the successful ones have done it. You will probably find that if you approached a number of the independent companies, in areas where you are not competing with them, at least one or two will be happy to share some tips. Once they are comfortable that you are actually where you say you are.

If you are lucky, you will be in an area that can support only 1 or 2 services. One service gives you a monopoly, but you get lazy without competition. Two services keeps you sharp. Three services makes it too tempting for 2 services to combine and put you out of business.

Good Luck.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:33 PM   #8
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
For #1 - Look around in your area to make sure the service doesn't already exist. This is an established idea, which means you may have some interesting option.

1) Buy a franchise. It is very likely that someone is selling franchises for this kind of delivery service. The profits are not as high, perhaps, because you are sharing them with head office - but they have also done all the work figuring out how to make it work. The pricing, the advertising, etc. So... much easier to set up.

2) Set up your own service. Because it's already been done (else where) you can get information on how the successful ones have done it. You will probably find that if you approached a number of the independent companies, in areas where you are not competing with them, at least one or two will be happy to share some tips. Once they are comfortable that you are actually where you say you are.

If you are lucky, you will be in an area that can support only 1 or 2 services. One service gives you a monopoly, but you get lazy without competition. Two services keeps you sharp. Three services makes it too tempting for 2 services to combine and put you out of business.

Good Luck.
Thanks! Although I'm not a fan of franchises. If I owned a company, I'd like to be the head of it (no one above me).
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:36 AM   #9
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Thanks! Although I'm not a fan of franchises. If I owned a company, I'd like to be the head of it (no one above me).
Fair enough. Just keep in mind that unless you already have business experience, a franchise may be a good way to get started. It is a good way to learn about the back-end stuff of running a business like costs control, hiring of staff, etc. Just a thought.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:44 AM   #10
fSHAD
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
How would #2 differ from using a computer to download a song onto your iDevice? Last I checked, iTunes was required to sync stuff onto an iToy; no side loading allowed.

Theres an APP for that
Quote:
Free Direct Download Manager (FDDM)
Free Direct Download Manager (FDDM) is a web browser with built-in download management and media player capabilities.
Surf the web and download the multimedia content to your
i-device. You can preview and organize the content in file browser section.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/free...572869514?mt=8
fSHAD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Well there goes that idea, I see what you're saying though.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:47 PM   #12
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Well there goes that idea, I see what you're saying though.
Ideas don't have to be novel and existing competitors are not a reason to not do something.

The big question is "How can you do it better?" If you can answer that question and determine that potential customers want it, then you have something.
__________________
ACSA, ACMT
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Ideas don't have to be novel and existing competitors are not a reason to not do something.

The big question is "How can you do it better?" If you can answer that question and determine that potential customers want it, then you have something.
Existing competitors making the product also have a much larger capital margin, which I don't have. That being said - venture capital.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:51 PM   #14
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Existing competitors making the product also have a much larger capital margin, which I don't have. That being said - venture capital.
Who cares? I bet when they entered they had about as much capital as you would have on entry.

If your aim is simply to own a business to make money, you are in for a pretty poor time.
__________________
ACSA, ACMT

Last edited by calderone; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:44 PM   #15
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Existing competitors making the product also have a much larger capital margin, which I don't have. That being said - venture capital.
No. Hard work, take a risk, work hard, hope for good luck. If you think venture capital is what you need at this point... well, I won't be investing.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone View Post
Who cares? I bet when they entered they had about as much capital as you would have on entry.

If your aim is simply to own a business to make money, you are in for a pretty poor time.
No, definitely not the only reason.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living in Japan...business ideas. What would you do? patent10021 Community Discussion 11 Oct 9, 2013 02:56 AM
The Most Advanced Business Card Reader - "Business Card Scanner - Contact Snapper" alfred1986 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 May 20, 2013 05:15 AM
Need Ideas Squilly Wasteland 147 Feb 13, 2013 01:18 AM
Big Business HD [Build your own business empire] Scorpion888 iPad Apps 0 Sep 30, 2012 08:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC