Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I purchased a used Mac Pro 2009 8-core machine and today received a new 27" LED Display. This is the model before Apple came out with the Thunderbolt display. My Mac Pro has the 512 MB VRAM RADEON HD 4870 card with one female DVI port and one mini display port. I hooked them up with mini display to mini ports and have no picture. I do get the audio from the usb connection from the Cinema display. Any ideas?

I have to add that I since purchased the Mac Pro used, I can't be sure there's not a problem with it. It is booting up and and I do get the normal sounds but no picture.

Thanks

JohnDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Silly question - is the screen getting power?

You can tell if you hear audio through it and if USB devices through it get power too.
Yes, The former user set the mac to boot up with music and I can hear that thru the Cinema display loud and clear.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Having owned an Apple branded Radeon HD4870, I can tell you that the mini display port works. I used it on an HP display with a Display Port and used a cable with an MDP on one end and a Display Port on the other. Is your card an Apple branded card or a flashed card?

Lou

JohnDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Having owned an Apple branded Radeon HD4870, I can tell you that the mini display port works. I used it on an HP display with a Display Port and used a cable with an MDP on one end and a Display Port on the other. Is your card an Apple branded card or a flashed card?

Lou

I'm assuming the Radeon 4870 was the factory original card that came with the MacPro, but I don't know that for sure. How would I be able to tell? Would that involve removing the card?

I don't know what the MDP is on the cable you're referring to. The cable connections on the cinema cord is a mini display, a usb and a MagSafe for a Macbook.

I did hook the Cinema up to my 2009 iMac and did get a picture although grainy. I assumed that was due to my lack of calibrating it.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
If the monitor works, it looks like the 4870 may be faulty.

Since the machine is (to you) unused, I wonder if it is worth doing a clean OS install in case the drivers are messed up? You could perhaps run it in target disk mode from your iMac?

Could you perform the hardware test that way?

JohnDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
If the monitor works, it looks like the 4870 may be faulty.

Since the machine is (to you) unused, I wonder if it is worth doing a clean OS install in case the drivers are messed up? You could perhaps run it in target disk mode from your iMac?

Could you perform the hardware test that way?

Are you suggesting that I use the Target mode via firewire to install the OS (SLeopard) from the iMac first and then do some type of hardware test?

I'm assuming that this wouldn't be the solution?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5236ZM/A/kanex-c247d-single-link-dvi-to-mini-displayport-converter?fnode=53

Would upgrading to a Radeon 5770 or 5870 be a sure fix? I looked on the Apple site and saw both cards, but it states "for a Mac Pro Mid 2010" while my model is an early 2009.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Troubleshooting computers takes a few steps and you can always solve your problems if you rule out all the possibilities.

Did you try the DVI output from the display card on a different monitor?
Did you try a MacBook Pro (or any mDP laptop) with the monitor?

The mDP port might be faulty so your next bet is to get this or buy a new video card.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
The 5770 and the 5870 do work on the 2009 Mac Pro.

The Apple Site for the 5870 says it works on the 2009. Plenty of people have confirmed that the 5770 also works.

BUT you have to be running/installing 10.6.4 or newer or else you don't have drivers.

You need to figure out if its the card or the monitor that's having the problem.

JohnDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Troubleshooting computers takes a few steps and you can always solve your problems if you rule out all the possibilities.

Did you try the DVI output from the display card on a different monitor?
Did you try a MacBook Pro (or any mDP laptop) with the monitor?

The mDP port might be faulty so your next bet is to get this or buy a new video card.

I did try the Mac Pro with an older 2004 Dell monitor. The DVI cable didn't seem to be the same, but I gave it a try, but still no picture.

----------

The 5770 and the 5870 do work on the 2009 Mac Pro.

The Apple Site for the 5870 says it works on the 2009. Plenty of people have confirmed that the 5770 also works.

BUT you have to be running/installing 10.6.4 or newer or else you don't have drivers.

You need to figure out if its the card or the monitor that's having the problem.

The Mac Pro is running Snow Leopard, but I don't know if it's up to the latest version. Since I was able to get a connection with the Cinema and the iMac, it looks like it's probably the video card.

Thanks for checking on the compatibility with the 2009 Mac. I may have to purchase a new card in the end.

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
the apple 5870 should be fine in a 2009- it's been working fine for the last year or so in my 2008.
I use mine with the 27" LED cinema, too:
mDP out on the 5870 -> atlona mDP/HDMI switcher -> cinema display mDP

no problems at all, and I can use the HDMI input on the atlona switcher to send the output from my PS3 and xbox360 to the cinema display, too.

JohnDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
the apple 5870 should be fine in a 2009- it's been working fine for the last year or so in my 2008.
I use mine with the 27" LED cinema, too:
mDP out on the 5870 -> atlona mDP/HDMI switcher -> cinema display mDP

no problems at all, and I can use the HDMI input on the atlona switcher to send the output from my PS3 and xbox360 to the cinema display, too.

I went ahead and ordered this just in case it was the mDP on the card that was bad.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CWEXWO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

If I updrade to the 5870, will it be a simple mDP to mDP connection?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I went ahead and ordered this just in case it was the mDP on the card that was bad.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CWEXWO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

If I updrade to the 5870, will it be a simple mDP to mDP connection?

You can often purchase cables with different connectors at each end. It's possible to find mini displayport to dvi-i or d. I can't remember which standard Apple uses. The other thing I wanted to mention was not to buy a thunderbolt cable. They will not work unless both the connection and display use thunderbolt. Even if you were using a 2012 macbook pro, you'd still use a mini displayport cable for any display aside from the thunderbolt display.

JohnDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
You can often purchase cables with different connectors at each end. It's possible to find mini displayport to dvi-i or d. I can't remember which standard Apple uses. The other thing I wanted to mention was not to buy a thunderbolt cable. They will not work unless both the connection and display use thunderbolt. Even if you were using a 2012 macbook pro, you'd still use a mini displayport cable for any display aside from the thunderbolt display.

Thanks, will do.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
don't be shy, give it a good push.

:eek: :cool:

----------

So you can't give a MacBook Pro (or Air) to the Apple LED display a try? Try borrowing a friend's display.

PS I have a 5870 on my 2008 Mac Pro and yes it does have a DVI port and a MiniDisplay Port. I use the DVI port since I Have a 30" ACD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.