Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

I removed my phones screen protector

The screen feels so much better. Going to have it with out a screen protector for a week. See if it has any scratches. On my 4s
Knockoutjosie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2
SWPROX
macrumors member

I have always gone naked,on my 4,4S and now 5-if you are careful enough,you won't get any scratches.Just don't put it in a pocket with keys or coins.
SWPROX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPROX View Post
I have always gone naked,on my 4,4S and now 5-if you are careful enough,you won't get any scratches.Just don't put it in a pocket with keys or coins.
Even with out a case?
I wouldn't mind using a case or not but phones look fancy with a case
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
SWPROX
macrumors member

Well yes,I like my devices as they are,Apple devices are gorgeous,so personally I don't like to put cases and increase the thickness as well hide Jony Ive's work . And yes am extremely careful with my devices.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:40 PM   #5
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutjosie View Post
Even with out a case?
I wouldn't mind using a case or not but phones look fancy with a case
The right case could arguably make your already-fancy iPhone look even fancier. But it's not about looks for me, it's about feel.

Like SWPROX, I've (almost) always kept cases away from my phone. The only time I had a case on it was for a few days with my 4. It was a nice, simple, solid colored, low profile case that I kinda wanted to like but just couldn't; it didn't feel good.

And scratches don't bother me much anyway, since I generally take good care of my phone and, as such, haven't yet had to deal with any serious scratches.

The only reason for me to reconsider putting my phone in a case is for resale value.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
SWPROX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
The right case could arguably make your already-fancy iPhone look even fancier. But it's not about looks for me, it's about feel.

Like SWPROX, I've (almost) always kept cases away from my phone. The only time I had a case on it was for a few days with my 4. It was a nice, simple, solid colored, low profile case that I kinda wanted to like but just couldn't; it didn't feel good.

And scratches don't bother me much anyway, since I generally take good care of my phone and, as such, haven't yet had to deal with any serious scratches.

The only reason for me to reconsider putting my phone in a case is for resale value.
Bingo,could't have said better,the FEEL factor !
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
iALLOUT4eva
macrumors regular

Ya I removed mine too from my otterbox defender case. It is too thick and leaves that rainbow color smudge😒
iALLOUT4eva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iALLOUT4eva View Post
Ya I removed mine too from my otterbox defender case. It is too thick and leaves that rainbow color smudge😒
Well it's good to see I'm not the only one annoyed with the rainbow smudge in the otterbox screen protector.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:13 PM   #9
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

I like mine with a case and protector. Protection is a must have if you plan on selling it after your next upgrade. Plus cases add personality to your phone (even if just a basic case) in a sea of iPhones
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:56 PM   #10
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

I have owed every iPhone since 07 and have never used a screen protector and never had any scratches on my screen...never.

I sell my phone as soon as the new one comes out and I've sold every one in mint condition. I take care of my phone, but I am not OCD about it. I usually rock a case which keeps the "body" pristine. But other then cleaning my screen a few times a day, I just make sure it stays in a key/coin free pocket and thats it. The screen is very durable and with a little care, its simple to keep it in perfect condition without any protection.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 1, 2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts.
sulpfiction is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:25 PM   #11
i7QuadCoreMania
macrumors 6502

that depends on how you care for it.

I've always been paranoid about scratches on the glass so I've always had them on my devices.

However, I saw a used iphone 4 a coworker bought which had never had a screen protector, had quite a few light to medium scratches on the glass, fortunately you couldnt see it when on. I was told that the previous owner threw the phone in with her keys.

So there, if you throw in your phone with your keys, then you will likely get some scratches eventually.

I've always used SGP screen protectors and the smoothness is almost as good as glass, better yet the smudges wipe away easily, I'll always have one on my devices.
MBA SuperDrive universal modded
i7QuadCoreMania is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

I guess it's ones personal option when it comes to having a case and screen protector
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:01 PM   #13
ixodes
macrumors 601

I've owned every iPhone model through to the iP5.

Each has been carried in my left front pocket sans a case & without a screen protector. Not counting my iPhone 5, each of them are completely scratch free. Not even the tiniest of marks.

That's thanks to Apple's excellent quality, & use of high quality materials.

Then there's the iPhone 5. The first one was scratched out of the box. Exchanged it for another, it had similar scratches in the same location. The genius called the store manager over, she was very attentive, looked at the phone, then went into the back.

She returned with two boxes. Opened the first, it was scratched, opened the second it was also scratched. Offered to give me another once they got another batch in, thinking they'd be better. Yet not knowing how long the wait would be I selected one that was the least scratched & settled for that.

At work we have loads of iPhone 5 users. Most are scratched, yet those are pre-ordered, the ones purchased in the last 45 days are better.

The collective opinion is most of us can't really pin it down. Some phones like mine seem to be easily marred, others seem like the finish is harder. What I do know is it's not a good showing for this model.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
No screen protector on either iPhone or iPad here. The protector itself leaves gaps so when your screen starts to show signs of wear, it shows it in very specific spots which makes the phone look worse than if you didn't have a protector on at all.

Also, iPhone 5 here, with no scratches, and only a clear case on the back.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

No screen protector 4rme. If it breaks, am more than capable of replacing the glass myself. The handyman can.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:51 AM   #16
BoricuaHec01
macrumors regular

I never put screen protectors, it's lame and it takes away the original look of the phone.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:05 AM   #17
walmartmartyr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
I like mine with a case and protector. Protection is a must have if you plan on selling it after your next upgrade. Plus cases add personality to your phone (even if just a basic case) in a sea of iPhones
in a sea of iphones, one without a case DOES stand out, I see a lady the otherday in a return line haul out her naked iphone 4 or 4s and it was very noticable that it was not in a case.

The iphones scratch very easy, unlike android phones with textured plastic material. The new iphone 5's silver apple symbol on the back scratches by just looking at it.

I'd like to go naked, but can't live with scratches and scuffs. Screen protector is a non issue as you can't even tell the difference. And I use clear cases which keep the look of the phone as much as possible. Clear cases though scratch easily.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01 View Post
I never put screen protectors, it's lame and it takes away the original look of the phone.
? unless your using a matte antifingerprint screen protector, you can't even tell if ones on it or not.
walmartmartyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:06 AM   #18
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post

If i wasnt so clumsy.. i'd for sure go without a case.. Unfortunately I am a bull in a china closet.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:31 AM   #19
LandonDonovan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
lol…What reason would I have to post this if it wasn't true. I've had all 6 iPhones and NEVER, EVER had a screen protector, and never had a single scratch on any of the screens. I sell my phone as soon as the new one comes out and I've sold every one in mint condition. I take care of my phone, but I am not OCD about it. I usually rock a case which keeps the "body" pristine. But other then cleaning my screen a few times a day, I just make sure it stays in a key/coin free pocket and thats it. The screen is very durable and with a little care, its simple to keep it in perfect condition without any protection.
Impossible. You'll have microscratches on each iPhone. Shine a light to it to see them. You'll probably have small dot sized scratches as well(but less than people who mix their phones with keys). I bought my iPhone with a cracked screen, so I wouldn't have to worry about the screen cracking. I use a bumper case, which helps a bit as well. I've never dropped it on concrete though, usually business carpet or grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
No screen protector 4rme. If it breaks, am more than capable of replacing the glass myself. The handyman can.
The iPhone 5 display assembly costs $250-$300. Wait a few months for it drop down to the normal price of about $50 once the demand drops.
LandonDonovan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:40 AM   #20
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I never liked screen protectors. My wife and friends all have them and they do change the quality of the screen and since they are plastic they get more scratches than the screen would without one. I tried a couple and always peeled them off within an hour or so. The screen is pretty scratch resistant and I personally would rather have micro scratches that I can't even see than deal with a screen protector. No one is wrong for using them, I just don't like them myself.
Nolander07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:30 AM   #21
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonDonovan View Post
I bought my iPhone with a cracked screen, so I wouldn't have to worry about the screen cracking.
Thats the worst logic I have ever heard.

And as far as having "micro-scratches", maybe I did. But never anything u could see, and definitely not enough to affect the mint condition resale.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:51 PM   #22
LandonDonovan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Thats the worst logic I have ever heard.

And as far as having "micro-scratches", maybe I did. But never anything u could see, and definitely not enough to affect the mint condition resale.
I meant that I bought my iPhone as used with a cracked screen rather than asking for a new one with a cracked screen at the Apple store. The cracks are only on about half the screen, so I might change my opinion if the other half starts to splinter.

You can wipe off the screen and then shine a light on it or reflect the sun off it to see them.
LandonDonovan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:31 PM   #23
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

isn't the iPhone 5's screen made of Gorilla Glass?
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:24 PM   #24
VandyChem2009
Banned

Seeing as apparently saying and wasn't clear enough. What's the point of this post? I get dinged for posting something frivolous but this thread seems rather frivolous to me.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:17 PM   #25
MVallee
macrumors 6502

I had a screen protector on my iPod touch and had to get a replacement at the Genius Bar. When I asked about getting a my screen protector back the genius pulled off the protector, took out his keys, scratched up the screen of the old iPod and the wiped it away on his jeans. No scratches. Since then I stopped buying screen protectors and haven't had on on any of my iPhones. No scratches so far but I always keep it in one pocket with nothing else in it. No keys, no coins just incase.
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories