Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
One of my main folders where I store and organize all my raw photos somehow got changed and I can no longer write to it. When I select "Get info" on the folder and scroll down, the permissions have admin as read only and system as the only one who can read and write. Because of that, the buttons that allow me to change it are grayed out. How do I fix this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One of my main folders where I store and organize all my raw photos somehow got changed and I can no longer write to it. When I select "Get info" on the folder and scroll down, the permissions have admin as read only and system as the only one who can read and write. Because of that, the buttons that allow me to change it are grayed out. How do I fix this?
What happens when you click the padlock icon in the lower right corner and enter your admin password? Or is it that icon that's grayed out?

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Maybe repairing permissions with disk utility will make it right. Otherwise you could use chown through terminal.

macmin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Do a get info on the folder and see if the "Locked" checkbox is checked. "Locked" basically makes the folder read only.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Do a get info on the folder and see if the "Locked" checkbox is checked. "Locked" basically makes the folder read only.
Already said in the original post that it is read only for me...

----------

Ok I got it. Had to enable root user, log in as root, go to the folder and change permissions that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.