Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:54 PM   #26
davideotape
macrumors 6502

Do they make any back covers with the Smart Cover lip to hold it in place yet? Like the I-blasons for the larger ipad? My one gripe about the Smart Cover is it doesn't strap in securely and wouldn't mind a back that helps it stay there
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Received my dark gray CoverBuddy today and the fit is perfect. All the cut outs align nicely. My only complaint is the strong plastic/chemical smell. But that's nothing a few hours in the fresh air won't fix
Roy Hobbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:41 PM   #28
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

Hope amazon gets them....I prefer to order there.
gadgetmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:42 PM   #29
AlanKA
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
My only complaint is the strong plastic/chemical smell. But that's nothing a few hours in the fresh air won't fix
Very interesting. I never noticed any smell, but you just made me go smell mine.

It's not that strong after having it a week.....but if you get close, it does smell like rubber fishing lures!
AlanKA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:48 PM   #30
normwood
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmonster View Post
I think Switcheasy only sells direct.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:11 PM   #31
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmonster View Post
I prefer to order from Amazon as well but Switcheasy is awesome. I ordered on Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:22 PM   #32
forza69
macrumors 6502a

I wanted to order one right now but I only see the 3rd generation cases. Am I missing something?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:41 PM   #33
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69 View Post
I wanted to order one right now but I only see the 3rd generation cases. Am I missing something?
http://www.switcheasy.com/product/CoverBuddy_iPadmini
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:52 PM   #34
forza69
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
I'm not very observant. I just realized that's for an iPad mini. Some of those angles in the pictures above makes the mini look like a 4th gen iPad. Duh.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:14 PM   #35
stickybuns
macrumors 6502

Just a heads up: the red coverbuddy doesn't even remotely match the red Smart Cover; they are two very different shades of red.

I really like the red of the Switcheasy coverbuddy, so I'm going to take the red smart cover to the local Apple store and exchange it for a dark grey one.

Edited to add a picture:

The Smart Cover is in its box, but the color difference should still be clear.

Last edited by stickybuns; Dec 7, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
stickybuns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:37 PM   #36
hogsdill
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Rhett View Post
I've also got the Incipio NGP, which I really like as well. I use that one when I'm home and the Switcheasy/Smart Cover combo when I'm out and about and need to put my mini in a bag.

The Coverbuddy is a cinch to put on and take off -- pop it in button-side first to put on, un-snap the non-button side first to take off. It's a snug fit but not difficult to remove. I haven't seen any scratches on the bezel, though I do have the white/silver model and not the black/slate.

Here are some pics I took this morning that shows the Coverbuddy and Smart Cover truer to color:

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
Thanks for the pictures. I think this is the combo that I'm going with.
Black Mini
Dark Gray Back
Blue Apple Cover
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:27 PM   #37
MSUSpartan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Just a heads up: the red coverbuddy doesn't even remotely match the red Smart Cover; they are two very different shades of red.

I really like the red of the Switcheasy coverbuddy, so I'm going to take the red smart cover to the local Apple store and exchange it for a dark grey one.

Edited to add a picture:

The Smart Cover is in its box, but the color difference should still be clear.
That's lame. Just ordered a pink one for the wife, hope it matches her pink smart cover.
MSUSpartan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:07 PM   #38
stickybuns
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUSpartan View Post
That's lame. Just ordered a pink one for the wife, hope it matches her pink smart cover.
Isn't there a red leather smart cover for the big iPad? It may have been a better match for that one.

Fingers crossed that the pink looks good!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:05 PM   #39
cheapa55
macrumors 6502a

nice combos, I wish I didn't spend all that money on my other accessories.
cheapa55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:54 AM   #40
stickybuns
macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried the included screen protector? I am looking for something antiglare.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:06 AM   #41
urkel
macrumors 68010

Its interesting that all the pictures people are posting are the white version. IMO, iPads have always been pretty rugged without a case but the reason I'm looking into one now is because of how that black painted edge just flakes away with normal usage.

The coverbuddy looks great but I'm not sure if the case actually covers that painted lip or not so if any owners of the black iPad Mini have experience then I'd love to hear some opinions.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:23 AM   #42
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Has anyone been able to find a MATTE clear version? Like a frost sort of color? Been searching all over and I cannot find anything out there which is really odd. I've had the frost Caudabe Shell for my big iPad, which looks great. If you don't look carefully, you won't even notice it's on. But they don't seem to have anything for the mini. Nor does anyone else. Or am I just missing something?
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:09 PM   #43
Boston Rhett
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Has anyone tried the included screen protector? I am looking for something antiglare.
The included screen protector is "crystal clear." The reason I put it in quotes is because it has the orange peel effect like crazy. I had the same experience when I used Switcheasy's iPhone 4/4S screen protectors too. Thought I'd get lucky with the Mini, but nope -- took it off seconds after I applied it.

For anti-glare Mini screen protectors, check out Spigen SGP's Ultra-Fine series. They're expensive, but quality's always top-notch.
Boston Rhett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:34 PM   #44
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

Received my dark grey coverbuddy today, love it.......looks like it came with the Smart Cover......
gadgetmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:06 PM   #45
stickybuns
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUSpartan View Post
So how did the pink one work out for you?

I ended up returning my red Smart Cover for a dark grey one since it was simpler to just walk into the local Apple store vs shipping the cover buddy back to Switcheasy.

Edited to Add Photos:

Last edited by stickybuns; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 AM   #46
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

The pink doesn't exatly match the smart cover but it's not as bad as the red.

I'd post pics but the mini, smart cover and covebuddy are Christmas gifts for my daughter and they are already wrapped.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:22 AM   #47
urkel
macrumors 68010

Just got my transulecent black coverbuddy from Amazon and am disappointed. All the benefits of the coverbuddy are there (perfect fit, protects painted edge but doesnt block Smart Cover, accessible ports) so it's not a bad product at all. But I'm really hating that I got the non matte version.

- Fingerprint Magnet
- VERY slippery
- Scratch resistant but definitely scratchable through average use
- Buttons are a bit stiff
- Weird color choice (Tranparent black but no solid matte black?!?)

Ill likely get the matte dark grey to replace it but Im open to suggestions for alternative brands since Id prefer solid black.

Last edited by urkel; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:13 AM   #48
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Just got my transulecent black coverbuddy from Amazon and am disappointed. All the benefits of the coverbuddy are there (perfect fit, protects painted edge but doesnt block Smart Cover, accessible ports) so it's not a bad product at all. But I'm really hating that I got the non matte version.

- Fingerprint Magnet
- VERY slippery
- Scratch resistant but definitely scratchable through average use
- Buttons are a bit stiff
- Weird color choice (Tranparent black but no solid matte black?!?)

Ill likely get the matte dark grey to replace it but Im open to suggestions for alternative brands since Id prefer solid black.
I have the same one and I agree with all of your points. Man, this thing is a fingerprint magnet and my buttons are very stiff. I think I'll be looking for another case like similar to this one. Hopefully Belkin will release one.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:25 AM   #49
Rob9874
macrumors regular

Is there a matte version, as the thread title suggests? The link above says "gloss coating" above the color options. Just want to make sure I order a matte one.
Rob9874 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:28 AM   #50
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9874 View Post
Is there a matte version, as the thread title suggests? The link above says "gloss coating" above the color options. Just want to make sure I order a matte one.
The black and clear ones are the only glossy versions. All of the others are matte.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories