Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #126
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by temna View Post
Damn. Today my mini fell off the kitchen counter onto the linoleum floor. My CoverBuddy didn't survive that minor fall. One corner snapped off and the opposite corner cracked. The crack I can understand because it was at the power button, but the part that snapped off? I'm a little shocked. Wonder if anyone else makes a stronger version.
Did the mini break? If not, then I say the CoverBuddy did it's job.
Roy Hobbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:58 PM   #127
temna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
Did the mini break? If not, then I say the CoverBuddy did it's job.
I don't dispute it did it's job, I'm just disappointed it only survived a month. And at $30 including shipping, I'm not sure I want to pay for another one if this one will only last a month too.

Edit: You have to love SwitchEasy. Just for giggles, not expecting anything, I put in a trouble ticket on their web site. I fully admitted that I dropped the case. It wasn't damaged in shipping. I doubt it was a manufacturing issue. I told them I dropped it. I said, I guessed that it was considered abuse, so it wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Behold a company that cares about their reputation. I got an email back, same day, on a Sunday no less. They asked for a photo of "the issue". I emailed it back and less than 30 minutes later I got an email that they would FedEx me a new case. How amazing is that? I never heard of the company before coming on this board looking for a case for my mini, but I'll tell you what. I will be looking at their products a lot more closely knowing they stand behind their products 200%.

Last edited by temna; Feb 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Amazing company edit.
temna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:10 PM   #128
temna
macrumors regular

I have figured out why my Coverbuddy was replaced so easily. I think there is a design flaw. The corner broke again at the power switch. I think I wil email them and ask for a clear back...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:46 PM   #129
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I have figured out why my Coverbuddy was replaced so easily. I think there is a design flaw. The corner broke again at the power switch. I think I wil email them and ask for a clear back...
Just a heads up, the clear I had attracted fingerprints and dust like crazy.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:27 PM   #130
temna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Just a heads up, the clear I had attracted fingerprints and dust like crazy.
But is the plastic thicker/stronger?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:36 PM   #131
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
But is the plastic thicker/stronger?
Yeah, it did seem more sturdy but I can't confirm if it'll be better than the matte ones as I returned it to SwitchEasy. You may try out Belkin's Shield, although the one I have appears to pretty thin.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:43 PM   #132
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water3man View Post
The red is actually a lot more vibrant. Might try to take more later in natural light.
The problem with the red, from what I've seen on here, is that it doesn't match the red Smart Cover.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:13 PM   #133
temna
macrumors regular

Maybe I'll ask for the black?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:21 PM   #134
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Maybe I'll ask for the black?
Black is the exact same as the clear. It's also more of a dark gray in person. Black seemed to be more of a fingerprint magnet. I also had one and ended up selling it for a matte version. I basically ended up just throwing my hands in the air and going naked. I've got insurance in the event something happens. If I ever change my mind, I've also got the Belkin one.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:26 PM   #135
temna
macrumors regular

I guess it's just time to look at other cases. Kinda wonder if it was damaged in shipping..
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:40 PM   #136
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I guess it's just time to look at other cases. Kinda wonder if it was damaged in shipping..
Did it show up cracked? I used a matte one for quite some time and it never cracked. I figured they were pretty sturdy.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:52 PM   #137
temna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Did it show up cracked? I used a matte one for quite some time and it never cracked. I figured they were pretty sturdy.
I didn't really look.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:00 PM   #138
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I didn't really look.
It's worth trying to contact them again. I'm sure they'd be willing to help once you send a pic of it.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:50 AM   #139
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Has any one purchased a RED coverbuddy mini lately? I know when they were first released the color coverbuddy and smart cover were WAY OFF.
So I'm just curious if switcheasy has adjusted for this?

I sent them an email but they never responded
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:03 AM   #140
temna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Has any one purchased a RED coverbuddy mini lately? I know when they were first released the color coverbuddy and smart cover were WAY OFF.
So I'm just curious if switcheasy has adjusted for this?

I sent them an email but they never responded
I have three of them here, all the same color. It's fine though as I suspect that the Smart Cover will darken with age to match.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:56 AM   #141
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Maybe they did change up their colors. Because there are pics in this thread of the red smart cover and coverbuddy and they are from a match.

Bought pink versions for my daughter and they don't match either. Not as bad as the pics of the red but definetly not a match.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:10 AM   #142
temna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Maybe they did change up their colors. Because there are pics in this thread of the red smart cover and coverbuddy and they are from a match.

Bought pink versions for my daughter and they don't match either. Not as bad as the pics of the red but definetly not a match.
No, the color didn't change. It's still much darker than the Smart Cover. As I have both in my hand.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:30 AM   #143
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

My clear CoverBuddy has cracked in the two corners near the SmartCover and I've only had it for 2 weeks, never dropped it or bumped it. The iPad is always user on soft surfaces. Very disappointed as I loved this case initially. Now looking into other options but none seem to cover the bottom, top, and buttons completely like this one. Maybe the matte colored versions are sturdier and less brittle?
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:51 AM   #144
temna
macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm on my third broken CoverBuddy. I'm starting to look at other back covers.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:38 PM   #145
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yeah, I'm on my third broken CoverBuddy. I'm starting to look at other back covers.
I just bought these two on Amazon since Switcheasy never responded to my warranty claim...

Hopefully these are good, but they don't cover as much on the top or the bottom (or the buttons) like the Cover Buddy did:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 11:25 PM   #146
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
My clear CoverBuddy has cracked in the two corners near the SmartCover and I've only had it for 2 weeks, never dropped it or bumped it. The iPad is always user on soft surfaces. Very disappointed as I loved this case initially. Now looking into other options but none seem to cover the bottom, top, and buttons completely like this one. Maybe the matte colored versions are sturdier and less brittle?
The matte will definitely be a little bit less scratch resistant. It's matte because of a coating which the glossy ones don't have.

These plastic covers are always going to have problems with corners cracking, so don't expect too much. The best mini back cover I've seen so far is the Caudabe Mini Shell. It locks on the Smart Cover and also comes in matte. Hasn't failed me yet after a month and was only $10.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:53 PM   #147
Kisey
macrumors regular

After a few months, my gray one cracked..never dropped or bumped. Hoping they'll send me a replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	418428  

Last edited by Kisey; Jun 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Kisey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:30 PM   #148
Boston Rhett
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisey View Post
After a few months, my gray one cracked..never dropped or bumped. Hoping they'll send me a replacement.
Mine just did the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Replaced it with a black Incipio Smart Feather, which I honestly like a lot more. It seems a little sturdier, and I like the feature where it keeps the Smart Cover from falling off. I just wish the buttons were covered like they are on the Cover Buddy.
Boston Rhett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:20 PM   #149
Kisey
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Rhett View Post
Mine just did the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Replaced it with a black Incipio Smart Feather, which I honestly like a lot more. It seems a little sturdier, and I like the feature where it keeps the Smart Cover from falling off. I just wish the buttons were covered like they are on the Cover Buddy.
I contacted Switcheasy and they sent me a replacement, no question asked I will definitely start looking for an alternative case as I'm pretty sure the coverbuddy will just eventually crack again.
Kisey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:36 PM   #150
davistld01
macrumors regular

Can someone post s link to tha Switcheasy web page where this is detailed? I can't see it listed anywhere.

Thanks!
davistld01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories