Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Seth19
macrumors newbie

Should I get the 4G or 5G iPod Touch?

Hey guys, i can't decide which one to get. My parents said for Christmas they'd buy me a refurbished 32g 4g iTouch since its only $180 off the apple store, or that they could give me money and I'd save up for the new itouch.

Do you think the new iPod Touch is a big enough upgrade that its worth the extra money? or would it be smarter to spend less money and buy the refurbished 4g ipod?
I'm 19 and briefly had an itouch last year before it got stolen, I remember it was cool but only had it a couple weeks so wasn't able to really enjoy it. I think I also remember it would freeze sometimes when I was using apps which was annoying. I'm going off to college in January so want an itouch to listen to music while working out and to use instagram and enjoy all the cool apps.

I don't have the option of having a smartphone either, so the itouch is the only way i can access apps.
Thanks

-Seth

Last edited by Seth19; Nov 30, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Seth19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Depends on what you use your iPod touch for.
So can you tell me what you're going to use it for?
If you use heavy apps and games then you should get the 5
Also depends on how much money can you save. How much can you save each month/week and how long can you wait?
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Seth19
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
Depends on what you use your iPod touch for.
So can you tell me what you're going to use it for?
Music, instagram, taking pictures, playing games, facebook, probably not gonna watch videos 'cuz I have a laptop, maybe a little recording, keeping logs of my workouts and stuff, maybe surfing the web but not much since again I have a laptop. My birthday is a week before christmas so my grandparents usually send me some money, so I probably will have enough to buy it right after christmas, but again wondering if its smarter to spend less.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:38 PM   #4
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth19 View Post
Music, instagram, taking pictures, playing games, facebook, probably not gonna watch videos 'cuz I have a laptop, maybe a little recording, keeping logs of my workouts and stuff, maybe surfing the web but not much since again I have a laptop. My birthday is a week before christmas so my grandparents usually send me some money, so I probably will have enough to buy it right after christmas, but again wondering if its smarter to spend less.
I think the new iPod touch is a significant upgrade over the 4th gen. If money is tight thats one thing but if you have the money and don't mind spending it, the 5th gen is definitely worth the extra $100 in my opinion.
brendu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hey guys, i can't decide which one to get. My parents said for Christmas they'd buy me a refurbished 32g 4g iTouch since its only $180 off the apple store, or that they could give me money and I'd save up for the new itouch.

Do you think the new iPod Touch is a big enough upgrade that its worth the extra money? or would it be smarter to spend less money and buy the refurbished 4g ipod?
I'm 19 and briefly had an itouch last year before it got stolen, I remember it was cool but only had it a couple weeks so wasn't able to really enjoy it. I think I also remember it would freeze sometimes when I was using apps which was annoying. I'm going off to college in January so want an itouch to listen to music while working out and to use instagram and enjoy all the cool apps.

I don't have the option of having a smartphone either, so the itouch is the only way i can access apps.
Thanks

-Seth
Get the 5th gen.
Plutonius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Troneas
macrumors 65816

i have a 4G and ive seen the 5G from a friend.

personally, i love the look and feel of the 4G. just like the iphone 5, the 5G looks cheap and prone to scratches and bends.

the 4G supports iOS 6 and for the most part, runs smoothly.

having said that, however, you WILL notice some lag whilst browsing, using some apps or long waiting time as it opens some heavy games. its still excellent for listening to music.

the camera is ****, though. so if taking pics is your thing you really want the 5G.
Troneas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
fricotin
macrumors member

5G
I've used the 4G for 2 years daily, the 5G is way better in every respect, go for it !
fricotin is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
mrskb
macrumors member

Get the 5! I had a 4 for some time, and didn't think there would be much difference, but there is. The 4 is fun, but like the commercial says, the 5 is made for funness! (and just for reference, I am 59 years old)
mrskb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:40 PM   #9
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Get the 5th gen. Honestly, there is no comparison, playing with your friends or a store model is one thing. Actually owning it and seeing how it works in day to day usage is another. I also haven't had any issues with bending or the back scratching. I'm pretty sure that issue is limited to the iPhone 5. iOS 6 also runs miles faster. I promise you're going to regret going with the 4th gen not too far down the road.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
then get the 5
Androidfan1x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular

Get the latest 5th Generation iPod Touch.
Ghostbusters is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:20 AM   #12
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Get the 5G, it is the biggest update to the touch ever!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Ffosse
macrumors 6502

I would say definitely save up for the 5th Gen.

The 4th is a bit long-in-the-tooth now and is a lot slower, while the 5th has a much better screen, twice the RAM and a faster processor.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

No contest. Go for the 5. Larger and better screen, great camera with built-in flash, panorama photos, and the wifi signal has a longer range (at least compared to my iPad 2). Hands free control over your music if you get the ear pods with remote and mic.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Will2145
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
i have a 4G and ive seen the 5G from a friend.

personally, i love the look and feel of the 4G. just like the iphone 5, the 5G looks cheap and prone to scratches and bends.

the 4G supports iOS 6 and for the most part, runs smoothly.

having said that, however, you WILL notice some lag whilst browsing, using some apps or long waiting time as it opens some heavy games. its still excellent for listening to music.

the camera is ****, though. so if taking pics is your thing you really want the 5G.
The 4g back is a lot more scratch prone then the 5G, and I don't think the 5g bends like the iPhone 5 does
Will2145 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

IPOD 4 is still good for everthing beside web browsing. 256 ram will have the page refreshed all the time if you are opening more than one tab.

I must agree that i like the feel of Touch 4 a lot more because i dont like device being too light or thin. Touch 4, you can get back cover for like $19 to avoid scartches and still make a perfect thickness.

Touch 5 is way faster and bigger screen. For extra $130 if you dont take pictures, it just not worthed. U will also need a case for it since the color came off after time, unless u get a white/silver one.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:47 AM   #17
Virinprew
macrumors 6502

I have to say 4G has too tiny RAM and it will frustrate you. Go for 5G for the better experience.
Virinprew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:03 AM   #18
Psycna
macrumors member

Get the 5th.

5th gen is the closest iPod to the iPhone. I can easily say that the 5th iPod touch is the iPhone without the phone.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:46 AM   #19
carter2
macrumors member

It is still a 4th gen model. If you plan on getting a 32 or 64GB black model then you could buy now since it is the same thing. The only reason to wait is to get the white model or the 8GB model for the new $199 price.
If you buy one today the only difference is that it would not come with iOS 5 but you will be able to update to it easily on the 12th.
carter2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Seth19
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys, I explained to my parents why the new one was worth the extra money and surprise surprise they gave me a blue 5g this morning It's so beautiful, I love it! Very happy I went with the new one
Seth19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:11 PM   #21
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, I explained to my parents why the new one was worth the extra money and surprise surprise they gave me a blue 5g this morning It's so beautiful, I love it! Very happy I went with the new one
Congrats but did you tell them you want the blue one or they just guessed the color you'd like?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Seth19
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
Congrats but did you tell them you want the blue one or they just guessed the color you'd like?
haha they just guessed, I would be happy with any of the colors (well maybe not pink) I'm just so happy to have the 5g the screen is gorgeous!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #23
Gunny011
macrumors regular

Quote:
haha they just guessed, I would be happy with any of the colors (well maybe not pink) I'm just so happy to have the 5g the screen is gorgeous!
enjoy it, great device!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:15 PM   #24
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Don't waste your money on a 4th gen. They are so slow and laggy and don't have enough ram.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:52 PM   #25
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Don't waste your money on a 4th gen. They are so slow and laggy and don't have enough ram.
This, seriously. I have a 64GB model, and while it's useable for the most part, I can't believe I had to wait for the Music app to bring up a list for 50GB of music.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch