Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Seth19
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE,WA
Should I get the 4G or 5G iPod Touch?

Hey guys, i can't decide which one to get. My parents said for Christmas they'd buy me a refurbished 32g 4g iTouch since its only $180 off the apple store, or that they could give me money and I'd save up for the new itouch.

Do you think the new iPod Touch is a big enough upgrade that its worth the extra money? or would it be smarter to spend less money and buy the refurbished 4g ipod?
I'm 19 and briefly had an itouch last year before it got stolen, I remember it was cool but only had it a couple weeks so wasn't able to really enjoy it. I think I also remember it would freeze sometimes when I was using apps which was annoying. I'm going off to college in January so want an itouch to listen to music while working out and to use instagram and enjoy all the cool apps.

I don't have the option of having a smartphone either, so the itouch is the only way i can access apps.
Thanks

-Seth

Last edited by Seth19; Nov 30, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Seth19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Depends on what you use your iPod touch for.
So can you tell me what you're going to use it for?
If you use heavy apps and games then you should get the 5
Also depends on how much money can you save. How much can you save each month/week and how long can you wait?
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Seth19
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE,WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
Depends on what you use your iPod touch for.
So can you tell me what you're going to use it for?
Music, instagram, taking pictures, playing games, facebook, probably not gonna watch videos 'cuz I have a laptop, maybe a little recording, keeping logs of my workouts and stuff, maybe surfing the web but not much since again I have a laptop. My birthday is a week before christmas so my grandparents usually send me some money, so I probably will have enough to buy it right after christmas, but again wondering if its smarter to spend less.
Seth19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:38 PM   #4
brendu
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth19 View Post
Music, instagram, taking pictures, playing games, facebook, probably not gonna watch videos 'cuz I have a laptop, maybe a little recording, keeping logs of my workouts and stuff, maybe surfing the web but not much since again I have a laptop. My birthday is a week before christmas so my grandparents usually send me some money, so I probably will have enough to buy it right after christmas, but again wondering if its smarter to spend less.
I think the new iPod touch is a significant upgrade over the 4th gen. If money is tight thats one thing but if you have the money and don't mind spending it, the 5th gen is definitely worth the extra $100 in my opinion.
brendu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Plutonius
macrumors 68040
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth19 View Post
Hey guys, i can't decide which one to get. My parents said for Christmas they'd buy me a refurbished 32g 4g iTouch since its only $180 off the apple store, or that they could give me money and I'd save up for the new itouch.

Do you think the new iPod Touch is a big enough upgrade that its worth the extra money? or would it be smarter to spend less money and buy the refurbished 4g ipod?
I'm 19 and briefly had an itouch last year before it got stolen, I remember it was cool but only had it a couple weeks so wasn't able to really enjoy it. I think I also remember it would freeze sometimes when I was using apps which was annoying. I'm going off to college in January so want an itouch to listen to music while working out and to use instagram and enjoy all the cool apps.

I don't have the option of having a smartphone either, so the itouch is the only way i can access apps.
Thanks

-Seth
Get the 5th gen.
Plutonius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
i have a 4G and ive seen the 5G from a friend.


personally, i love the look and feel of the 4G. just like the iphone 5, the 5G looks cheap and prone to scratches and bends.


the 4G supports iOS 6 and for the most part, runs smoothly.


having said that, however, you WILL notice some lag whilst browsing, using some apps or long waiting time as it opens some heavy games. its still excellent for listening to music.

the camera is ****, though. so if taking pics is your thing you really want the 5G.
Troneas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
fricotin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
5G
I've used the 4G for 2 years daily, the 5G is way better in every respect, go for it !
fricotin is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
mrskb
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Get the 5! I had a 4 for some time, and didn't think there would be much difference, but there is. The 4 is fun, but like the commercial says, the 5 is made for funness! (and just for reference, I am 59 years old)
mrskb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:40 PM   #9
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Get the 5th gen. Honestly, there is no comparison, playing with your friends or a store model is one thing. Actually owning it and seeing how it works in day to day usage is another. I also haven't had any issues with bending or the back scratching. I'm pretty sure that issue is limited to the iPhone 5. iOS 6 also runs miles faster. I promise you're going to regret going with the 4th gen not too far down the road.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth19 View Post
Music, instagram, taking pictures, playing games, facebook, probably not gonna watch videos 'cuz I have a laptop, maybe a little recording, keeping logs of my workouts and stuff, maybe surfing the web but not much since again I have a laptop. My birthday is a week before christmas so my grandparents usually send me some money, so I probably will have enough to buy it right after christmas, but again wondering if its smarter to spend less.
then get the 5
Androidfan1x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Get the latest 5th Generation iPod Touch.
Ghostbusters is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:20 AM   #12
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Get the 5G, it is the biggest update to the touch ever!
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Ffosse
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I would say definitely save up for the 5th Gen.

The 4th is a bit long-in-the-tooth now and is a lot slower, while the 5th has a much better screen, twice the RAM and a faster processor.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
No contest. Go for the 5. Larger and better screen, great camera with built-in flash, panorama photos, and the wifi signal has a longer range (at least compared to my iPad 2). Hands free control over your music if you get the ear pods with remote and mic.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Will2145
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
i have a 4G and ive seen the 5G from a friend.


personally, i love the look and feel of the 4G. just like the iphone 5, the 5G looks cheap and prone to scratches and bends.


the 4G supports iOS 6 and for the most part, runs smoothly.


having said that, however, you WILL notice some lag whilst browsing, using some apps or long waiting time as it opens some heavy games. its still excellent for listening to music.

the camera is ****, though. so if taking pics is your thing you really want the 5G.
The 4g back is a lot more scratch prone then the 5G, and I don't think the 5g bends like the iPhone 5 does
Will2145 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
IPOD 4 is still good for everthing beside web browsing. 256 ram will have the page refreshed all the time if you are opening more than one tab.

I must agree that i like the feel of Touch 4 a lot more because i dont like device being too light or thin. Touch 4, you can get back cover for like $19 to avoid scartches and still make a perfect thickness.

Touch 5 is way faster and bigger screen. For extra $130 if you dont take pictures, it just not worthed. U will also need a case for it since the color came off after time, unless u get a white/silver one.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:47 AM   #17
Virinprew
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I have to say 4G has too tiny RAM and it will frustrate you. Go for 5G for the better experience.
Virinprew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:03 AM   #18
Psycna
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Get the 5th.

5th gen is the closest iPod to the iPhone. I can easily say that the 5th iPod touch is the iPhone without the phone.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15"
iPod touch 5G
Psycna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:46 AM   #19
carter2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
It is still a 4th gen model. If you plan on getting a 32 or 64GB black model then you could buy now since it is the same thing. The only reason to wait is to get the white model or the 8GB model for the new $199 price.
If you buy one today the only difference is that it would not come with iOS 5 but you will be able to update to it easily on the 12th.
carter2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Seth19
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE,WA
Thanks for the advice guys, I explained to my parents why the new one was worth the extra money and surprise surprise they gave me a blue 5g this morning It's so beautiful, I love it! Very happy I went with the new one
Seth19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:11 PM   #21
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth19 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I explained to my parents why the new one was worth the extra money and surprise surprise they gave me a blue 5g this morning It's so beautiful, I love it! Very happy I went with the new one
Congrats but did you tell them you want the blue one or they just guessed the color you'd like?
__________________
iPod touch 5th gen 32 GB Black
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Seth19
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE,WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
Congrats but did you tell them you want the blue one or they just guessed the color you'd like?
haha they just guessed, I would be happy with any of the colors (well maybe not pink) I'm just so happy to have the 5g the screen is gorgeous!
Seth19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #23
Gunny011
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth19 View Post
haha they just guessed, I would be happy with any of the colors (well maybe not pink) I'm just so happy to have the 5g the screen is gorgeous!
enjoy it, great device!
__________________
-iPhone 5 - iPad Air - Retina MacBook Pro - MacBook Air
Gunny011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:15 PM   #24
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Don't waste your money on a 4th gen. They are so slow and laggy and don't have enough ram.
__________________
Macbook 2008
HP Dv7t - 2.53 ghz, 9600m GT, WSXGA+, 120gb ssd, 250 gb 7200rpm
Core i7 3770k, 8gb ram, 2x 120gb sdd raid0, 500gb hdd, GTX 460
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:52 PM   #25
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Don't waste your money on a 4th gen. They are so slow and laggy and don't have enough ram.
This, seriously. I have a 64GB model, and while it's useable for the most part, I can't believe I had to wait for the Music app to bring up a list for 50GB of music.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch Recognition Issue on iPhone 5, 5th Generation iPod Touch with Rapid Diagonal Swipes MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 355 Jan 3, 2013 03:11 PM
Touch Screen Not Working in my Ipod Touch sanjananb1 iPod touch 3 Dec 27, 2012 10:12 AM
ipod touch 2g touch screen unresponsive arara iPod touch 1 Sep 26, 2012 09:40 PM
Should I sell my iPod touch 3G for the iPod touch 5G? coolguy879 iPod touch 10 Sep 24, 2012 10:00 AM
External Touch Screen Display for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. NbinHD iPhone Accessories 2 Jul 2, 2012 12:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC