Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Slarti.BartFast
macrumors newbie

Help - looking for a new ToDo app to replace 'Things'.

Hi,

I currently use Things on Mac and iPhone but refuse to use the cloud to sync them, because I understand that Things use a Google App to run their 'Things Cloud'.

I am Zuckerburg, Twitter and 'Creepy' Schmidt free.

This will not be changing, I know young trendy people trust the cloud, I just think of the cloud as a shed with servers in it run by bearded, sex starved nerds and I don't want them reading anything I think !

I have been using Things in 'Things 1 mode' - that is it uses Bonjour to Wifi sync my tasks from my Mac to my iPhone, I have been told that once I upgrade to iOS 8 then Things may run, but may fail on any update as Cultured Code are no longer supporting it, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I've had a look at Omni Focus, which I think, uses a WebDAV server to sync which I believe I can set up my own server to do the syncing.

Anything else ???

Cheers,

Slarti
Slarti.BartFast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2
sigamy
macrumors 65816

Check out Appigo Todo. It's been around forever, support is good, and it has a few sync options including Dropbox.

You can do full GTD with it, or just simple to do lists. Has projects, checklists, location and more.

They also have a Cloud version that includes sharing across a team and a web front-end.

http://www.appigo.com/todo-task-and-to-do-list.html

I can't believe the positive press that Things still gets. They have been consistently late with updating their product.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I use 2Do. It's similar to Things, just much better. I've been very happy with it:

http://www.2doapp.com
Old Sep 21, 2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Slarti.BartFast
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigamy View Post
Check out Appigo Todo. It's been around forever, support is good, and it has a few sync options including Dropbox.

You can do full GTD with it, or just simple to do lists. Has projects, checklists, location and more.

They also have a Cloud version that includes sharing across a team and a web front-end.

http://www.appigo.com/todo-task-and-to-do-list.html

I can't believe the positive press that Things still gets. They have been consistently late with updating their product.
Thanks sigamy, do you run it on one device or sync it across ?

I ask because I prefer to sit with a coffee and think with my mac, then sync it with my iPhone, so when I'm out the phone nags me to get things done.

So reliable syncing is important and the reviews on the App Store imply it has problems - how have you found it ?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I use 2Do. It's similar to Things, just much better. I've been very happy with it:

http://www.2doapp.com
Thanks jojoba, it looks like 2Do is a well liked app - how do you sync across your devices ?

Cheers,

Slarti
Slarti.BartFast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 01:31 PM   #5
sigamy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarti.BartFast View Post
Thanks sigamy, do you run it on one device or sync it across ?

I ask because I prefer to sit with a coffee and think with my mac, then sync it with my iPhone, so when I'm out the phone nags me to get things done.

So reliable syncing is important and the reviews on the App Store imply it has problems - how have you found it ?

Slarti
I do sync between iPhone and Mac with Todo. I have had a few minor sync issues; nothing too bad.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store