Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
asenna
macrumors newbie

Can you leave your thumb on the trackpad?

Can you use the trackpad with your index finger while leaving your thumb on it ( like how you leave your thumb on a laptop with a separate clicker and trackpad)? I just got an air and when I leave my thumb on the track pad it randomly highlights things or moves things like icons and songs in itunes if I use my index finger to point.

Do I have to lift my thumb to use the cursor or is there something up with the trackpad?
asenna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by asenna View Post
Can you use the trackpad with your index finger while leaving your thumb on it ( like how you leave your thumb on a laptop with a separate clicker and trackpad)? I just got an air and when I leave my thumb on the track pad it randomly highlights things or moves things like icons and songs in itunes if I use my index finger to point.

Do I have to lift my thumb to use the cursor or is there something up with the trackpad?
Macs have multitouch trackpads, meaning that they recognize multiple points of contact. Having two fingers on the trackpad tells it to do something different than just having one, which includes, depending on the application: scrolling, zooming in, rotating, etc.

So just one finger on the trackpad to move to mouse around.

Alternatively, you can go into the trackpad section of System Preferences and uncheck all of the two finger gestures and see what that does.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Johnny Alien
macrumors member

I just put my thumb on the bottom and left it there while using my fingers to click and scroll and I had no issues.
Johnny Alien is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Use your middle finger to mouse around and then use your middle plus ring finger for two finger swiping. It feels better because those fingers are about the same length. And, you'll find that your thumb will dangle out of the way of the track pad.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:58 AM   #5
ohhmaar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmscott View Post
Use your middle finger to mouse around and then use your middle plus ring finger for two finger swiping. It feels better because those fingers are about the same length. And, you'll find that your thumb will dangle out of the way of the track pad.
Oh my god, that's such a perfect idea lol.
ohhmaar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:23 PM   #6
imac5
macrumors newbie

I usually rest my thumb toward the bottom of the trackpad and haven't had any issues at all.
imac5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:16 AM   #7
million7
macrumors regular

tried it just now and it worked like a charm
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:46 AM   #8
53kyle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by asenna View Post

Turn off tap to click maybe?
 White iPad 3, 64 GB, T-Mobile;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Wokis
macrumors regular

I navigate with the middle finger and click with the index finger, leading to the index finger resting where the left click button usually would be on a trackpad.

In OSX there is usually no problem but when in bootcamped windows I had issues when two fingers were in contact at once.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Acorn
macrumors 68020

this works in osx but not windows. This was a huge concern of mine when they first went with buttonless trackpads. I was so happy to find that leaving your finger on the corner while navigating with your middle finger worked. thats how I use it and its been the best trackpad ive ever used since.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:02 AM   #11
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

Yes you can leave your thumb. Sometimes I even use my thumb to move the cursor.
iAppl3Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:32 AM   #12
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53kyle View Post
Turn off tap to click maybe?
My thumb is never on the trackpad unless I need it for zooming.
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air