Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrminsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
THis is my first post so be easy on me.... LOL!!!!!!!!!! I am in the process of making the switch to Mac and I was hoping you guys can help me to decide which computer to purchase. Looking at the base 2011 with 8gb upgrade or the base 2012 model with no upgrade (Just for now). I was looking to purchase from BH since they seem to offer a very reasonable deal on these units. The basic usage for my computer will be as follow

Productivity... basic Word and Excell
Internet... Browsing, Hulu, You Tube etc.
Downloading music and listening music.
Email
Watching movies.

NO PHOTOSHOP and NO Gaming other than basic gaming.

I guess I am your typical boring consumer out there...............just looking to get a reliable computer

I will have to keep my PC because I have a server with Front Page extensions and I need to make revisions using Front Page. Unless there is a software out there for mac which will allow me to "enter" the server and make these basic revisions.

Which computer will be the better choice? Perhaps, I might not see the difference based on my own usage.... My current set up is a Core Duo running Vista....... the spinning has to go!!!!!!!!!!. Thank you so much for your input.......

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
THis is my first post so be easy on me.... LOL!!!!!!!!!! I am in the process of making the switch to Mac and I was hoping you guys can help me to decide which computer to purchase. Looking at the base 2011 with 8gb upgrade or the base 2012 model with no upgrade (Just for now). I was looking to purchase from BH since they seem to offer a very reasonable deal on these units. The basic usage for my computer will be as follow

Productivity... basic Word and Excell
Internet... Browsing, Hulu, You Tube etc.
Downloading music and listening music.
Email
Watching movies.

NO PHOTOSHOP and NO Gaming other than basic gaming.

I guess I am your typical boring consumer out there...............just looking to get a reliable computer

I will have to keep my PC because I have a server with Front Page extensions and I need to make revisions using Front Page. Unless there is a software out there for mac which will allow me to "enter" the server and make these basic revisions.

Which computer will be the better choice? Perhaps, I might not see the difference based on my own usage.... My current set up is a Core Duo running Vista....... the spinning has to go!!!!!!!!!!. Thank you so much for your input.......

To future proof your purchase, with USB 3.0 as well as a faster processor i would go with the 2012 mac mini. I had the 2011 mac mini and purchased the 2012 model just based on the fact that it had USB 3.0 and I won't have to purchase a desktop for a couple years if I don't want to. You could always buy 8gb in a year or so for around 35 dollars or 16g for around 70.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.