Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Why won't iTunes Match work well on my iPhone 5?

iTunes Match is awesome when it works. Works well on my MacBook and my iPad. But my iPhone? For some reason it'll work sometimes, but most times all the music is greyed out and it looks like this. Can't click anything or do anything. I have iTunes Match enabled in the music settings so what's going on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354334552.432311.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	380801
Soulweaponry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

go into general> cellular and turn on itunes. same thing was happening to me.

it works sometimes cause itll work on wifi but not on cellular until you turn it on.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
go into general> cellular and turn on itunes. same thing was happening to me.

it works sometimes cause itll work on wifi but not on cellular until you turn it on.
I cannot believe the fix was that easy. Thank you so much.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a

so what is itunes match excatly ? i have been giving it some thought since i got iphone.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

iTunes Match is all of your music in the cloud. Even music you haven't bought through iTunes. All my old stuff I ripped through windows media player a long time ago was "matched" in the cloud and now all the music on my I phone, iPad and Apple TV are streamed. It's pretty freaking amazing. It was really awesome the other day when I bought my first iPad and all I did was sign in under my apple id and boom. My entire music library was on my iPad. No syncing no nothing. It was just there. As well as my iPhone (now I don't have music taking up space) and Apple TV. It cost $25 a year and is 100% worth it. I'm sure eventually just like mobile me it will be free
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a

does it stream or download the music to the phone?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
Stream. You also have the option of downloading from the cloud just in case you're away from Internet
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaponry View Post
Stream. You also have the option of downloading from the cloud just in case you're away from Internet
ok i might try this just to get some of my old music in better quality

So would I have to delete all music on phone in order to do this?

Last edited by Afbar1114; Dec 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:32 AM   #9
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
It downloads. It can start playing right away, like streaming. But it does keep it on the phone.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:08 AM   #10
serialtoon
macrumors 6502

Does this work from a desktop environment? As in if i want to listen to my library from my work PC? Is there a limit to PCs i can use this on? I usually log into anywhere from 10-15 machines daily.
serialtoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:15 AM   #11
big samm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialtoon View Post
Does this work from a desktop environment? As in if i want to listen to my library from my work PC? Is there a limit to PCs i can use this on? I usually log into anywhere from 10-15 machines daily.
I think it's up to 10 different devices...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaponry View Post
iTunes Match is all of your music in the cloud. Even music you haven't bought through iTunes. All my old stuff I ripped through windows media player a long time ago was "matched" in the cloud and now all the music on my I phone, iPad and Apple TV are streamed. It's pretty freaking amazing. It was really awesome the other day when I bought my first iPad and all I did was sign in under my apple id and boom. My entire music library was on my iPad. No syncing no nothing. It was just there. As well as my iPhone (now I don't have music taking up space) and Apple TV. It cost $25 a year and is 100% worth it. I'm sure eventually just like mobile me it will be free
And now with the updated Remote app and itunes match on the apple tv, you don't even need to open the tv anymore, since all the songs albums appears in the remote app and the music gets streamed in the cloud to apple tv, no need to airplay music anymore!!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #12
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialtoon View Post
You have to "authorize" a device, whether computer or phone. I doubt you want to spread your password over that many PCs. If you had one that was always there, use that one.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Neverbepeace
macrumors 6502a

If your downloading over mobile, will that hit your data hard?
Neverbepeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:37 AM   #14
lwilliams
macrumors regular

Question.........since I have 480 gb of music........if I use Match, is all of that available on my 64gb Phone, MBA, iPad 64gb, WITHOUT downloading to those devices????

Would that mean I can delete music from all devices EXCEPT the desktop machine and have everything available on all at all times?
lwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:00 AM   #15
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliams View Post
Question.........since I have 480 gb of music........if I use Match, is all of that available on my 64gb Phone, MBA, iPad 64gb, WITHOUT downloading to those devices????

Would that mean I can delete music from all devices EXCEPT the desktop machine and have everything available on all at all times?
Sort of.

It does work exactly the way you describe, but it has a 25k song limit to be uploaded (songs that are not purchased from iTunes).
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:32 AM   #16
trvsglr
macrumors member

So just to be clear if I would sign up for iTunes match, I would not have to sync copies of my music from my PC to my iPhone and iPad, which would free up space on my devices? Also if my music streams to me from iCloud, does that use up data on my plan?
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:40 AM   #17
big samm
macrumors 6502a

If your not on wifi then yes streaming will eat on your data plan...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:52 AM   #18
trvsglr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big samm View Post
If your not on wifi then yes streaming will eat on your data plan...
Thank you for your response, I have another annoying question but does anyone have a ball park idea of how much data one song will consume? I have the 5gb data plan, I only listen to my music pretty much when driving and I don't do that very much. If i would happen to take a long drive or if I plan to listen to music heavily I could just download over wifi what I want to listen to, or just switch off iTunes match and then sync my music from my PC to my iPhone before i leave my house? Again sorry for these questions but I'm just trying to fully understabnd it, I am really thinking about getting it. I mainly want it to free up space on my devices and like I said i really dont listen to Music outside of my wifi connection that often.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:52 AM   #19
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvsglr View Post
Thank you for your response, I have another annoying question but does anyone have a ball park idea of how much data one song will consume? I have the 5gb data plan, I only listen to my music pretty much when driving and I don't do that very much. If i would happen to take a long drive or if I plan to listen to music heavily I could just download over wifi what I want to listen to, or just switch off iTunes match and then sync my music from my PC to my iPhone before i leave my house? Again sorry for these questions but I'm just trying to fully understabnd it, I am really thinking about getting it. I mainly want it to free up space on my devices and like I said i really dont listen to Music outside of my wifi connection that often.
Match songs are at 256kb, which will consume ~120MB/hour of listening.

Yes, you can download music beforehand, and play it while on the road - ensuring that you don't use data by turning off the 'use cellular' option. The entire library will still be displayed, but songs not downloaded will be greyed out and not accessible. Music that is played via Match but not downloaded is stored in a cache, and for some period of time not re-downloaded, so if you largely listen to the same music, you should only have to 'stream' it once.

Match does not play well with syncing directly from a computer - you can do that, but when you next turn on Match, it will remove the music that you have synced.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:08 PM   #20
trvsglr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
Match songs are at 256kb, which will consume ~120MB/hour of listening.

Yes, you can download music beforehand, and play it while on the road - ensuring that you don't use data by turning off the 'use cellular' option. The entire library will still be displayed, but songs not downloaded will be greyed out and not accessible. Music that is played via Match but not downloaded is stored in a cache, and for some period of time not re-downloaded, so if you largely listen to the same music, you should only have to 'stream' it once.

Match does not play well with syncing directly from a computer - you can do that, but when you next turn on Match, it will remove the music that you have synced.
Ok great, thank you so much for explaining it simply for me!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone