Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
To be honest, I was about to give in during the summer and put down closer to $3000 for a loaded rMBP. I'm glad my patience persevered and am happy that I waited for the new iMac as it will be better utilized by me than the rMBP. I ordered the i7 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, and the 680MX. With a student discount, it ended up setting me back $2800 (educational discount and all)-not bad considering it will offer me much more oomph in terms of graphical and computer processing than the rMBP, and still ended being cheaper than rMBP even with the educational discount applied to that. I really didn't need a laptop. At the same time, I question such hedonistic spending, and wonder, did I really need to order such an extravagant iMac. I really could've settled for the 21.5", but realized since the iMac will be my only multimedia machine (e.g., playing modern and demanding Steam games, watching TV shows/movies, and consuming other content), I figured I'd go all out and treat myself since I don't spend this kind of hard earned cash everyday, and this will be my machine hopefully for years (4-5) to come as I don't on upgrading often. I wanted to future proof my purchase, but I still find the 21.5" design appealing and am slightly worried as to whether or not I made the right choice. I know the 680MX will destroy the GT 650M in terms of gaming, but I feel it would have been better to be fiscally responsible with money, and the 21.5" with the GT 650 is perfectly capable of driving modern gaming titles with suitable performance (I wouldn't have minded tweaking the settings a bit). I'm still not 100% convinced I need the 27". How do you guys justify your 27" purchase with all the bells and whistles, and were you compelled to purchase such?

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
My current iMac cost $1100 and is the most used device I have and has lasted me 6 years. That's a little over $100/year, and I could still sell it for like $300.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Its hard to justify for me, i have already ordered one and i got in early so mine should come before Xmas. Im still tossing up if i should cancel the order. I could have saved $600 Aus going for the low end 27" and giving up the i7 cpu and the 680MX. I could have saved another $180 Aus if i went for the 1TB Fusion instead of the 3TB and moved my media storage to externals.

I need to make up my mind before the weekend is over...Feel free to talk me into keeping it!!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I do motion graphic design, which involves a lot of 3D rendering, and therefore requires a fast processor. 3D programs make heavy use of the GPU as well, so I needed the top GPU. I got 32GB of RAM (from Newegg, mind you) for the same reason. I threw in the fusion drive because I just want the machine to seem fast starting up, opening programs, etc.

I'm also a student, and this purchase was literally the largest I've ever made, but it was necessary for what I do, I think. Also, I figure that something I'll use every day for the next 4ish years should be great.

My parents don't fully understand what I do, I don't think, so they don't get why someone would need a computer this expensive and fast, and have griped at me about it. Some renders will still go for 24 hours+, but this is much better than my current machine.

So buy the best you can. It's something you'll use every day for several years. You'll thank yourself down the road. I struggled with the desktop/laptop thing too, but I figured that my current early 2008 MBP is still going strong for web browsing and the like.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
To be honest, I was about to give in during the summer and put down closer to $3000 for a loaded rMBP. I'm glad my patience persevered and am happy that I waited for the new iMac as it will be better utilized by me than the rMBP. I ordered the i7 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, and the 680MX. With a student discount, it ended up setting me back $2800 (educational discount and all)-not bad considering it will offer me much more oomph in terms of graphical and computer processing than the rMBP, and still ended being cheaper than rMBP even with the educational discount applied to that. I really didn't need a laptop. At the same time, I question such hedonistic spending, and wonder, did I really need to order such an extravagant iMac. I really could've settled for the 21.5", but realized since the iMac will be my only multimedia machine (e.g., playing modern and demanding Steam games, watching TV shows/movies, and consuming other content), I figured I'd go all out and treat myself since I don't spend this kind of hard earned cash everyday, and this will be my machine hopefully for years (4-5) to come as I don't on upgrading often. I wanted to future proof my purchase, but I still find the 21.5" design appealing and am slightly worried as to whether or not I made the right choice. I know the 680MX will destroy the GT 650M in terms of gaming, but I feel it would have been better to be fiscally responsible with money, and the 21.5" with the GT 650 is perfectly capable of driving modern gaming titles with suitable performance (I wouldn't have minded tweaking the settings a bit). I'm still not 100% convinced I need the 27". How do you guys justify your 27" purchase with all the bells and whistles, and were you compelled to purchase such?

Honestly I would have not spend $2800 on a iMac. You could have bought an mid imac 21.5 with an i7 for about $1900+ and still had money left over. I would gave used that extra Grand and bought a new Camera like the Panasonic GH3......

Hey that's me though...

Also for 3k I would built a Hackintosh that would DESTROY any current Mac. I'm actually reading up on it now.....

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Its hard to justify for me, i have already ordered one and i got in early so mine should come before Xmas. Im still tossing up if i should cancel the order. I could have saved $600 Aus going for the low end 27" and giving up the i7 cpu and the 680MX. I could have saved another $180 Aus if i went for the 1TB Fusion instead of the 3TB and moved my media storage to externals.

I need to make up my mind before the weekend is over...Feel free to talk me into keeping it!!

It's a worthy purchase for sure, but just how worthy is up to you. It will definitely serve you well over the years and if longevity is your wish, then I say you definitely ordered your iMac with the right future-safe components. Sometimes I ask myself, do I really need to game with every game at ultra graphics and high resolution? No of course not, and do I really need a 27" iMac with all that screen real estate, no once again. This is all making me reconsider my purchase but like I said originally, this will be my primary machine for the next 4-5 years, and I want it to last.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Honestly I would have not spend $2800 on a iMac. You could have bought an mid imac 21.5 with an i7 for about $1900+ and still had money left over. I would gave used that extra Grand and bought a new Camera like the Panasonic GH3......

Hey that's me though...

Also for 3k I would built a Hackintosh that would DESTROY any current Mac. I'm actually reading up on it now.....

And then it would kernel panic every 5 min after the next OS update :) Been there, done that...

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Honestly I would have not spend $2800 on a iMac. You could have bought an mid imac 21.5 with an i7 for about $1900+ and still had money left over.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, and is why I'm kind of contrite with my purchase. Im still undecided and may end-up getting a high-end 21.5". Hackintosh...don't feel like bothering with a bad apple, that has fallen too far from the tree.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
If your not spending rent or car payment money then it is about choices. First no machine purchased today is future proof for 5 years, that is a choice not to upgrade. Look back 5 years at a $5K macpro vs the new iMac 21.5. I hate gaming on either Mac or PC. I like consoles So I picked up a high end 21.5 and have a XBOX 360 hooked to my TV. Won't work for you however. Last could you use the money saved for a life changing experience, like a cool vacation or something? Need vs want that first world dance :cool:

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
The 27" I purchased last night came to $3232. Bear in mind I'm in Australia so prices are slightly higher.

But really because I'll have it for the next 4 - 6 years (assuming nothing happens to it) that justifies the price good enough for me.

My current PC was about 2500 - 3000 and it has lasted 5+ years.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Theoretically, I could afford it easily, but I don't want to "over-buy" for my needs.

It's called, pick a good major, get a job, and move up. Then, you'll be drinking just as much as me on a Friday night, because of all the stress said job brings. Believe me, I'd go back to a less stressful job in my company in a heartbeat.

Woodyjpn

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Japan
iMac lost

I needed to get a new computer this year, for tax purposes. I was really waiting for the new iMac, but the more I was thinking about it, the more enthusiastic I was about it. I could not justify the price for the thing I'd be getting. So, I decided to max the Mac Mini, which came to $1000 or so, and now I'm gonna get me a good monitor, maybe even the new TB that will come out zoo (spring? whatever). I'll think of the computer as a thing I may need to change in 4-5 years, but the monitor will stay with me for longer. That I could justify. The money for an iMac that I'd change in 4-5 years? I just didn't see it.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
If your not spending rent or car payment money then it is about choices. First no machine purchased today is future proof for 5 years, that is a choice not to upgrade. Look back 5 years at a $5K macpro vs the new iMac 21.5. I hate gaming on either Mac or PC. I like consoles So I picked up a high end 21.5 and have a XBOX 360 hooked to my TV. Won't work for you however. Last could you use the money saved for a life changing experience, like a cool vacation or something? Need vs want that first world dance :cool:

But this why I want to get the high-end 21.5", because I will have spent less money, and the graphics and gaming on it are still superior to what you'll find on consoles today, if not on par with them. I'm having a hard time swallowing that $ pill, especially when I know I will not benefit from the 27" screen real estate.

masp84

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008

Hey that's me though...

well dude you get better features and legacy support plus upgrade an self maintenance choices for a third of that price tag. However since you're a video editor you still need a good display, so lets say you would've saved a grand and could've got a 35mm lens adapter. Personally I don't find the way to justify the price or not having a case when aesthetics is not as important as performance. If you can't live without OSx I get it, but you can get the same or better job done in other platforms as well, it's just a matter of taste and you being comfortable with your work tools.

I work with audio and got a fully loaded PC, my current one was bought on 2007 and it's still running good. Now it's going to my room for surfing and stuff. I got a monster i7 3770k on black friday that will be my next personal computer for work. A Galaxy III also seems enough to cover the rest of my mobile needs though iPad mini is quite appealing and I get to keep my encrypted Blackberry network.

There's also many people running lion with native hardware support on non Apple branded hardware, if you're tech savvy enough you could take this route, otherwise you're parents money was well expended in spite of my rejection towards the new iMac.

Ditto

Last edited:

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
When you consider the original 1984 Macintosh cost $2495 with 7MHz 32 bit processor, 128K RAM, 9 inch monochrome screen, 400K single floppy drive, the $2599 I am spending on a 27" iMac with 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7, GeForce GTX 680MX, and 1TB Fusion drive doesn't seem extravagant.

BTW, that original Mac would cost @$5000 adjusted for inflation.

A Mac Pro with a 27" Cinema display, Quad-Core CPU, Radeon HD 5870, and "Do-it-yourself" Fusion drive will cost at least $4200.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
There's also many people running lion with native hardware support on non Apple branded hardware, if you're tech savvy enough you could take this route, otherwise you're parents money was well expended in spite of my rejection towards the new iMac.

Parent's who?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
sorry got mixed up with another guy saying their parents couldn't justify the price tag. you got it with your hard earned cash.

Oh, that was me...I bought it with my own money, though. I meant that my parents are passing their judgment on me about how I'm spending my money. The most expensive thing they've ever bought me is <$250.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
man I really know how you feel right now, analyzing too much your decision, but really just enjoy your new computer and forget about the money you spent on it, my 27" iMac ended up costing me $2,930 because I had to pay my local re-seller for tax and shipping costs since apple doesn't ship to my door where I live which is outside the US, and that's for the i7, 1tb fusion, GTX 680MX.. trust me when you graduate and get a good job your not going to worry about spending 3k on a computer, this will be the least money you spend compared to buying a car,house etc. imagine having to make $1,000+ payments each month for 30 years? that's when you get second thoughts if you chose the right house or that car you paid $30,000 for.

dearlaserworks

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2012
Eastern Shore, USA
When you consider the original 1984 Macintosh cost $2495 with 7MHz 32 bit processor, 128K RAM, 9 inch monochrome screen, 400K single floppy drive.

Funny. I bought one of the first of those 1984 Macs. And paid $495 more for an ImageWriter. Ooh, dot matrix! Today I was hesitant to spend $2200 for the top 27" with Fusion drive. :)

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Alright here is my story:

I work as a missionary in New Zealand. I am the director of media for the missions organization that I work for so I do all the audio/video and web production. I live off support from friends and family with no pay from the organization.

Last year my BTO 15" MBP was stolen from the trunk of one of my friends cars. That was November last year. So I've been saving for the iMac. I was also awarded $700 (nzd) by the judge who prosecuted the dude who stole it.

I have been starting to get into more semi-pro film making including short films and doco's. At first I was only going to get a maxed 21" but I was given a donation which was able to push me up to the 27", 3.4, 680, 1TB fusion and 8gb ram (but I already have the 32gb sitting here ready to go in)

Will be doing everything from web design to film editing to studio recording to branding to graphic design to biblical studies and learning languages.

But the primary reason is to surf Facebook and Mac rumors non-stop. :D

masp84

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Oh, that was me...I bought it with my own money, though. I meant that my parents are passing their judgment on me about how I'm spending my money. The most expensive thing they've ever bought me is <$250.

That's a good thing at the end, you learn how to make your own money and spend it wisely

I don't wanna get into hackinthosh as many would say it'll give you head aches, truth be tol, Tonymac's support is better and way ahead of Apple. However when it comes to work you don't take chances so I understand the TS, best thing to do is leave the remorse behind and enjoy

Last edited:

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
The 27" I purchased last night came to $3232. Bear in mind I'm in Australia so prices are slightly higher.

But really because I'll have it for the next 4 - 6 years (assuming nothing happens to it) that justifies the price good enough for me.

My current PC was about 2500 - 3000 and it has lasted 5+ years.
I am in NZ but bought mine on the US store. I'm having my sister ship it to me. Apple products are stupidly expensive in NZ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.