Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Chihawk725
macrumors member

UPS battery Backup system suggestions for iMac

I will be moving soon for work and the area that I will temporarily be located at has problems with frequent yet short lived power outages, something like 3 mins long or so. I do not want my new iMac to go down every time this happens so does anyone have any suggestions? My budget is absolutely less than 100 u.s. dollars and from looking online it seems that I can get a UPS backup that will last for more than 15 minutes supplying a powerful desktop in that price range.

Also are there any voltage specs or anything I should know about when choosing a back up source of power for the new iMac?

Finally if there are any apps or programs that people know of that could tell my new iMac to go into a power saving mode or begin to shutdown when on backup power that will earn you bonus points . THANKS
Chihawk725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:12 AM   #2
TrboMac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihawk725 View Post
I will be moving soon for work and the area that I will temporarily be located at has problems with frequent yet short lived power outages, something like 3 mins long or so. I do not want my new iMac to go down every time this happens so does anyone have any suggestions? My budget is absolutely less than 100 u.s. dollars and from looking online it seems that I can get a UPS backup that will last for more than 15 minutes supplying a powerful desktop in that price range.

Also are there any voltage specs or anything I should know about when choosing a back up source of power for the new iMac?

Finally if there are any apps or programs that people know of that could tell my new iMac to go into a power saving mode or begin to shutdown when on backup power that will earn you bonus points . THANKS
For starters, check out this recent thread in another sub forum. You can also search in both forums for 'UPS' and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:24 AM   #3
Chihawk725
macrumors member

Thanks! I originally tried to find a similar thread but was not as successful as you were.
Chihawk725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac