Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:24 AM   #26
turtlez
Banned

I am glad to see this, now the price tag isn't the only thing throwing me out lol
turtlez is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:28 AM   #27
Trojans
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
I am glad to see this, now the price tag isn't the only thing throwing me out lol
Beside the screen issue, the iMac is an excellent computer. I probably just got a bad unit.
Trojans is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:33 AM   #28
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojans View Post
Beside the screen issue, the iMac is an excellent computer. I probably just got a bad unit.
no you didn't, I just checked mine heres whats going on with mine....

firstly when you take the black background photo it looks nothing like that in person, the iPhone camera (i'm using iPhone 5 maybe the camera works differently and doesn't make yellow on white screen?) actually starts glowing up like that

now for the white background shot I'm not getting anything like in yours, so if you CAN see yellow on a white background in person than maybe yours is defective
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	974.9 KB
ID:	380862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	380863  
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:37 AM   #29
Trojans
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post

firstly when you take the black background photo it looks nothing like that in person, the iPhone camera (i'm using iPhone 5 maybe the camera works differently and doesn't make yellow on white screen?) actually starts glowing up like that

now for the white background shot I'm not getting anything like in yours, so if you CAN see yellow on a white background in person than maybe yours is defective
The black background seems worse than mine to me. Or is it because of camera?
Trojans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:38 AM   #30
hammonda1
macrumors newbie

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Looks pretty good to me, my advise is to not look for little defects like that as every iMac will have it to some degree.
http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

I agree and displays from other manufacturers also exhibit this backlighting effect.

Until we have OLED displays where the light comes from the front of the panel you just have to live with.
hammonda1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:39 AM   #31
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The black background seems worse than mine to me. Or is it because of camera?
I think its camera because its all black when you see it in person and theres slight backlight bleed like on every other monitor, when I held the iPhone to take a shot the yellow glow was getting bigger and bigger
washburn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:41 AM   #32
Trojans
macrumors member

Quote:
I think its camera because its all black when you see it in person and theres slight backlight bleed like on every other monitor, when I held the iPhone to take a shot the yellow glow was getting bigger and bigger
It's not just the photo. I saw it myself in person, and that's why I took the photo. Maybe, I'm just gonna exchange it and see what happens. You know we have paid a lot of money for this, and we SHOULDN't deserve this. @_@
Trojans is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:42 AM   #33
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

That definitely doesn't look right, and I hope none of us were expecting the new iMac to be problem-free.

I can't quite see anything on the white screen, looks uneven, looks like vignette of a camera, but that black screen definitely seems to have a problem.

I do hope it's just some glue that still hasn't properly dried yet (As what happened with the iPhone 4 and some early iMac 27" models - At least I think it was glue that caused it on the iMac, it's definitely glue on the iPhone 4) or otherwise just your camera catching some moiré pattern.

I think you should take it in ASAP.

Apple
Siderz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:45 AM   #34
washburn
macrumors 6502

I actually don't have a problem with mine, because the black is nothing like that photo theres maybe slight lightbleed in corners but its exactly the same like on any lcd panel I've seen
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:45 AM   #35
XionCore
macrumors member

Take it in. The display shoud show much more uniformity than this. Looks like my Kindle Paperwhite..
XionCore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:58 AM   #36
Trojans
macrumors member

Quote:
I re-take some photos with Canon camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	380874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1,004.2 KB
ID:	380875  
Trojans is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:01 AM   #37
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Here you go, the black photo.
Wow, this is the exact crap I'm talking about that is not acceptable. I'm thinking of canceling the order on my 27" until they clean these screens up a couple months down the line.
bobright is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:03 AM   #38
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I re-take some photos with Canon camera.
btw what is that bright glowing line on the top of your monitor?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:06 AM   #39
Trojans
macrumors member

Quote:
btw what is that bright glowing line on the top of your monitor?
The Apple menu bar
Trojans is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:18 AM   #40
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
The Apple menu bar
Some comforting words, relax there are a lot of worse things in life.

There is warranty on the iMac so no worries, yes it is a hassle and yes it seems to be too much bleeding and yellow tint.

Just call the Apple store if you bought it there or Apple, expain the situation and that you'll bring it in if it is still the same in 1 week.
I would just wait a week, it is a brand new iMac, the yellow tint may fade although I think the bleeding will not.

I have quite an expensive TV, yes LG (IPS Panel) and it has some bleeding in the corners, there will probably always a bit of bleeding on LCD's, except Full leds maybe.

Oh and in a related topic you said:

Quote:
My wonderful night just gone.
Just don't think of it, it's not worth the stress.

Edit:

Quote:
The Apple menu bar.
LOL
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:21 AM   #41
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post

There is warranty on the iMac so no worries, yes it is a hassle and yes it seems to be too much bleeding and yellow tint.

Just call the Apple store if you bought it there or Apple, expain the situation and that you'll bring it in if it is still the same in 1 week.
I would just wait a week, it is a brand new iMac, the yellow tint may fade although I think the bleeding will not.

I have quite an expensive TV, yes LG (IPS Panel) and it has some bleeding in the corners, there will probably always a bit of bleeding on LCD's, except Full leds maybe.

Edit:

LOL
Yes, I have a Samsung LED that cost me nearly three grand some flashlighting/bleed in the corners is normal his screen is not it is awful and unacceptable. I sure as hell will not accept it on my 27".
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:22 AM   #42
Trojans
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post

Edit:

LOL
I appreciate that
Trojans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:25 AM   #43
turtlez
Banned

Quote:

i can see some yellow on the right side of yours. not as extreme as OP but it's there. Hope it is just the glue setting for your sake
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:25 AM   #44
BasK
macrumors newbie

You cant use a photo to judge the light bleeding on a black background. Any display will show light bleeds if you expose it long enough. If you make this photo with an iPhone, it will see just black so lengthen its exposure. I believe the TS has this problem, but use your eyes to judge this problem not a camera.
BasK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:53 AM   #45
ipodmac
macrumors regular

So has every single person with the 21 inch model got this issue? If so its going to be expensive for apple
ipodmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:10 AM   #46
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodmac View Post
So has every single person with the 21 inch model got this issue? If so its going to be expensive for apple
There always have been issues like these on panels but this is one of the forums they show up, it might be only 1 in a 100s or even 1000s.

People who don't have issues don't report.
justperry is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:10 AM   #47
strongs
macrumors member

Can I ask how you performed these tests? (like how did you get a completely white and black desktop?)

The reason I ask is my iMac is being delivered next week and I would like to perform the same test.

Me Mac noobie
strongs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:13 AM   #48
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongs View Post

Can I ask how you performed these tests? (like how did you get a completely white and black desktop?)

The reason I ask is my iMac is being delivered next week and I would like to perform the same test.

Me Mac noobie

Paint it.

just kidding.

Install white or black wallpaper.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:15 AM   #49
strongs
macrumors member

I hope mine will be OK. Why does there always seem to be an issue with EVERYTHING you buy these days!
strongs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:18 AM   #50
washburn
macrumors 6502

I used Screen Utility found it in the App Store, it has a pixel tester which you can change the screen to different colours
washburn is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac