Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Again Recognizes World AIDS Day Online and In-Store

Apple, not known for its partnerships with third-parties, is again recognizing December 1st as World AIDS Day at Apple Retail Stores and on its website. Apple did something similar last year.

Some stores, including several locations in New York City, have also colored their Apple logos red for the occasion. A MacRumors reader sent in this image from the Upper West Side outlet and noted that retail store staffers appear to have replaced the cases on all the products in the store with PRODUCT (RED) versions.

Apple sells a number of PRODUCT (RED) items where a percentage of the profits are donated to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. There are (RED) versions of the iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, the iPad and iPad mini Smart Covers, the iPad Smart Case, and the iPhone 4S Bumper.
Quote:
The numbers don't lie: Every day more than 900 babies are born with HIV. By 2015 that number can be nearly zero. (RED) works with companies like Apple to fight for an AIDS-free generation by 2015 by creating (PRODUCT) RED merchandise. A percentage of gross profits from the sale of those products goes to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa. Since its introduction, (PRODUCT) RED has generated more than $190 million -- more than $50 million from Apple alone -- for the Global Fund. Now you can make an impact, too, by purchasing a (PRODUCT) RED iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, iPad Smart Cover, iPad Smart Case, or iPhone Bumper.
In addition to the retail store changes, Apple is placing a prominent link on the bottom of its homepage to (RED)'s World AIDS Day page.

Thanks Mark!

Article Link: Apple Again Recognizes World AIDS Day Online and In-Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:38 AM   #2
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

The thing is, why doesn't MacRumors show support? Heartless animals
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:54 AM   #3
speedbumpnv
macrumors member

Stopped by the Sydney flagship store to check out the new iMacs and they had the apple done up in red, iPads outfitted with Product (RED) smart covers, and the seasonal iThing table only had Product (RED) items on it, no other colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	148426_4980285944249_846791216_n.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	380849  
speedbumpnv is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:14 AM   #4
TeachMeiOS.com
macrumors newbie

Way to go Apple!

I have personally worked among people in East Africa who were born with the HIV/Aids Virus. It is an awful thing. But the Antiretroviral drugs (ARV's) are available and can help people live a relatively normal life. However, a ton of education and other resources are needed to get these drugs to the people who need it. That's why I think this is such a noble thing of Apple to do - ever dollar counts!
TeachMeiOS.com is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:18 AM   #5
MOKHAN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
The thing is, why doesn't MacRumors show support? Heartless animals
We're all heartless animals
MOKHAN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:40 AM   #6
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKHAN View Post
We're all heartless animals
True. But that doesn't give these guys an excuse to be heartless, especially when they own a very well known site and get cash from donations
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:10 AM   #7
irDigital0l

Quote:
True. But that doesn't give these guys an excuse to be heartless, especially when they own a very well known site and get cash from donations
Was Macrumors asking for an excuse in the first place?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:34 AM   #8
windels
macrumors regular

I'd actually like it if Apple could do something like this with their notebooks as well...
windels is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:40 AM   #9
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by windels View Post
I'd actually like it if Apple could do something like this with their notebooks as well...
True. I don't know what they could do, but right now we have some kind of Product (RED) version of every product (be it the product itself or an accessory) except for Macs and the iPhone 5.
KieranDotW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:40 AM   #10
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm pretty sure not throwing a red banner (or whatever the ribbon of the day is) up on your site makes you heartless.

And there will be critics of Apple who will say they should give more no matter how much they give.

My point? Stop judging or I will not think highly of you.
HarryKeogh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:09 AM   #11
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by windels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
True. I don't know what they could do, but right now we have some kind of Product (RED) version of every product (be it the product itself or an accessory) except for Macs and the iPhone 5.
If they made Macs in different colors (or if they made cases for MacBooks) then I would agree. I know they used to (Black and White MacBooks) but now it is all Aluminium. I guess they could make a (Red) Magic Mouse or AirPort

The iPhone would be great to see in red...

Last edited by croooow; Dec 1, 2012 at 04:16 AM.
croooow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:35 AM   #12
Michael383
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post

I agree. A (PRODUCT) RED iPhone would be a nice addition to the Apple store.
Michael383 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:36 AM   #13
champ01

As if money solves aids.

Its all marketing nonsense. There is never enough budget for good research therefor its always lacking.
The whole monetary system is research down if really think about it.

How about giving scientist what they need to do their research properly and kill budgets.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:42 AM   #14
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
If they made Macs in different colors (or if they made cases for MacBooks) then I would agree. I know they used to (Black and White MacBooks) but now it is all Aluminium. I guess they could make a (Red) Magic Mouse or AirPort

They could make a red anodized MacBook but it would probably look pretty gaudy and loud.
HarryKeogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:08 AM   #15
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
They could make a red anodized MacBook but it would probably look pretty gaudy and loud.
A red anodised macboom could actually look nice
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:01 AM   #16
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Voluminous!

This place looks like an airplane hangar.

iGrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:37 AM   #17
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
  • red powersupply for MBA, MBP
  • red bezel for laptop and iMac
  • one red key (ESC or space); disc reject is not relevant anymore
  • red mouse
  • a red apple logo in front of iMac or at the lid of laptops
  • a red headset

Actually I really thinking about getting a RED iPod Touch; but it would be really better in black/red (= instant buy)

The power supply would be very simple to realize
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app. doessizematter ?
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:03 AM   #18
dpruitt
macrumors member

Can we focus on something more important?

Can we focus on something more important? Like Cancer? At least AIDS is preventable. Cancer has been around A LOT longer. Let's focus on this one first, and then we can work on AIDS.
dpruitt is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:18 AM   #19
Silmarien
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpruitt View Post
Can we focus on something more important? Like Cancer? At least AIDS is preventable. Cancer has been around A LOT longer. Let's focus on this one first, and then we can work on AIDS.
Exactly. That is why people should be educated to prevent being infected by the HIV virus. I am sure that cancer cures are being researched but educating people is highly important.
Silmarien is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:19 AM   #20
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I think people should be applauded for any piece of good they do.
If you don't and want to rank good causes then I understand thousands of people starve to death every day. That has a cheap and available cure. Cancer not so much.
unlinked is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:32 AM   #21
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
OT: there are days I want the "down-vote button" back ...

On Topic: doing both at the same time would is perfectly fine. I agree with you: AIDS is preventable.

BUT: that require education, protective tools, diagnosis, care ... and in many cases there are cultural and religious barriers to overcome. So the task is not easy and require money. Thats what RED try to support.
Getting rid of AIDS will be easier compared to get rid of cancer. The later one is much more complicated to fight against with all the different variants and causes. But stopping AIDS can't wait until we solved the cancer issue.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app. doessizematter ?
ChristianJapan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:55 AM   #22
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

This is a good thing. I hate it when forum users use a story like this to start a fanboy war or Apple-bashing. Sometimes a corporation like Apple just does good things.
somethingelsefl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:10 AM   #23
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Tell that to the thousands of women who are raped in villages in Africa.

Tell that to the thousands who become infected through blood transfusions that still happen, even with tested blood.

Tell that to the countless AIDS victims in the 80's who were left to die with a disease no one knew or cared about as at the time is was a "gay thing".

Your comment is beyond ignorant and wreaks of disdain. Many diseases are preventable, such as type II diabetes which has become an epidemic in the U.S. due to alarming increases in obesity, also preventable. I certainly hope no one you know has to fight with such a horrible "preventable" illness, I certainly hope you do not have to as well.
bedifferent is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:26 AM   #24
dru`
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ignorance. AIDS is preventable and if people had self control it would be all but eliminated at this point but the research into the immune system that HIV has sparked has had far reaching consequences across disease study and that would include cancers like those caused by or linked to viruses.

I'm stick of pressured as if I must prostrate myself any time the words AIDS is mentioned. The gay community is obsessed in an unhealthy way. If half as much effort was put into peer pressure regarding behavior as goes into whining about funding or evil Republicans, the disease would be effectively eliminated in the western world by now.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Tell that to the thousands who become infected through blood transfusions that still happen, even with tested blood.
Citation? WHERE is this happening right now in 2012?

Quote:
Tell that to the countless AIDS victims in the 80's who were left to die with a disease no one knew or cared about as at the time is was a "gay thing".
Come to the 21st century. You admit "no one knew" but the posters point is, thirty years later, everyone knows in the West about its preventability. It's taught about in every school, even Catholic and other parochial schools and has been for twenty years at least. Youth can't escape the condom campaigns in mass and social media.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:46 AM   #25
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
Sorta like this:

http://www.colorware.com/p-250-macbo...973&3627=79064
rdlink is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion