Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bombertaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new mp3 player and I transfered some mp3 files from my Mac. My Mac keep auto generated these duplicated files with ._ prefix. I tried to play my music but every times it encounter those files it keeps crashing.

Is there any ways to stop my Mac from generated those files when I do transfering ? If not how do I delete those when they all hidden.

Thank guys

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new mp3 player and I transfered some mp3 files from my Mac. My Mac keep auto generated these duplicated files with ._ prefix. I tried to play my music but every times it encounter those files it keeps crashing.

Is there any ways to stop my Mac from generated those files when I do transfering ? If not how do I delete those when they all hidden.

Thank guys
The simplest way to do this if you lack a program that can automatically fix this, such as using BetterZip to archive the files with the "remove Mac stuff" option, then unarchiving, then transferring, is the good old Terminal: the zip command can help you here. It does the same thing as BetterZip - stripping out all the ._ junk - but without a fancy GUI.

bombertaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Thank wrldwzrd89, can you do step by step instruction how do the zip command. I am pretty newbie when it comes to MAC OS.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Thank wrldwzrd89, can you do step by step instruction how do the zip command. I am pretty newbie when it comes to MAC OS.
The steps are actually pretty simple:
  1. Open Terminal.
  2. Type "cd " (that space at the end is important).
  3. Drag the folder to be processed to the Terminal window, which causes its path to be inserted.
  4. Press Return to execute that command.
  5. Type "zip -r filename.zip *" and press Return again.
  6. Replace filename with whatever you want the zip archive it creates to be called.
  7. You'll see a bunch of output as the zip tool does its thing.
  8. Once it finishes printing stuff, quit the Terminal.
  9. Navigate to the folder you dragged into the Terminal earlier in the Finder.
  10. You'll see a zip archive in there. Move it somewhere else, then double-click to extract its contents.
  11. Once the extraction completes, perform the transfer as usual with the folder that was created when you extracted the zip file.

bombertaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I am doing it right now but the terminal keep doing "adding: " stuff. I have been waiting forever for it to finish. I dont know what I did wrong after step 5 Type "zip -r filename.zip * .

And how to abort the command while it's doing it ?

Thank

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.