Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Apple now sells unlocked iPhone 5, but nobody (none of the so-called tech "journalists") are willing to provide the details. It seems like it would be the AT&T version, meaning it will only supports LTE band 4 and 17. Meanwhile, the Verizon version seems to be more compatible with LTE around the world as shown by Apple's own website.

So here are the questions:

1. Has anybody with a Verizon iPhone 5 been overseas to try the iPhone 5 with an overseas LTE carrier? Even though Apple's website specify the same model number for Verizon and international (non-US) GSM version, it was listed separately, making me think that the Verizon version has its LTE carrier locked (maybe).

2. Can anybody confirm which version that Apple sells if you buy the "unlocked" iPhone 5? No tech "journalists" are bothered to even ask Apple.

3. Is there a way to buy the Verizon iPhone 5 without signing up for a plan?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Apple now sells unlocked iPhone 5, but nobody (none of the so-called tech "journalists") are willing to provide the details. It seems like it would be the AT&T version, meaning it will only supports LTE band 4 and 17. Meanwhile, the Verizon version seems to be more compatible with LTE around the world as shown by Apple's own website.

So here are the questions:

1. Has anybody with a Verizon iPhone 5 been overseas to try the iPhone 5 with an overseas LTE carrier? Even though Apple's website specify the same model number for Verizon and international (non-US) GSM version, it was listed separately, making me think that the Verizon version has its LTE carrier locked (maybe).

2. Can anybody confirm which version that Apple sells if you buy the "unlocked" iPhone 5? No tech "journalists" are bothered to even ask Apple.

3. Is there a way to buy the Verizon iPhone 5 without signing up for a plan?

Can't answer 1.

2. The "official" unlocked version Apple is selling is the AT&T model. However, you can also buy the Verizon model which is also unlocked.

3. Yes, Go into Verizon, radio shack, Apple, Best Buy, etc and request purchase of iphone 5 at full price without contract.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The unlocked model Apple sells in the US is technically the European/Asian version (the one you would buy if it was sold in the UK or Hong Kong for example, with the LTE frequencies to match) with CDMA disabled.

Just look at the Apple website here:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Just a thought for some folks who are interested: If you look at the chart, even though the CDMA version is listed with just two countries supported, it supports all the ones listed in the second and third group. It's just the CDMA functionality will only work with the primary carrier you activate the phone on. So the US/Canada GSM version is unique, whereas the CDMA and rest of the world (including US officially unlocked) version is the same phone.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
The unlocked model Apple sells in the US is technically the European/Asian version (the one you would buy if it was sold in the UK or Hong Kong for example, with the LTE frequencies to match) with CDMA disabled.

Just look at the Apple website here:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Just a thought for some folks who are interested: If you look at the chart, even though the CDMA version is listed with just two countries supported, it supports all the ones listed in the second and third group. It's just the CDMA functionality will only work with the primary carrier you activate the phone on. So the US/Canada GSM version is unique, whereas the CDMA and rest of the world (including US officially unlocked) version is the same phone.

I doubt they are selling the European/Asian version unlocked version in the US. I would suspect that they would sell an unlocked version of the AT&T model. It still would work on any GSM network outside the US with 3G UMTS or 4G HSPA+ for those that travel internationally. I also think it would be the AT&T version unlocked since T-Mobile is rolling out LTE on the same bands as AT&T. Apple would lose out on the margin they can get for those in Europe/Asia that can buy their unlocked version over there instead of buying it in the US at a slightly lower cost.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
The Verizon model is an international phone that you can use in most of Europe, and as Europe switches to LTE, many of the bands in the verizon phone will work with LTE there. So if you have a choice, buy the Verizon model A1429 over the AT&T model A1428.

edovann

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Do the CDMA and GSM versions are the same inside?
I mean, if you want to replace any part in A1429 GSM and A1429 CDMA you will have to buy the same thing (100% identical inside parts+screen) ?

i ask that to know, in case the Unlocked version is A1428 and not A1249 GSM
'cause i need the european LTE bands

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.